The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bulking again

Stress on lowerback when doing squats

Is it normal to feel stress on your lower back when doing squats and deadlift? I've done several searches for form and read long articles about both lifts and started out relatively light weight. I've increased my weight on squat significantly and now i feel stress on my lower back i've got one of my friends dads who is a personal trainer to check out my form he said it was fine. I hope I don't screw up my back because of this. If i go to a Dr. to check out my back how much would they charge me? I'm only 19 and i think im too young to start having back problems at such an early age. Last week when i was doin squats i felt a sharp pain in my lower back it was really scary.

Well any help would be appreciated TY

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

On deadlifts, that's fairly normal.

On squats, no.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Well, it possible you went too heavy too fast. It takes time for the muscles, tendons, joints to adapt to heavy weight when doing squats and deads. How light was the "light weight" and how heavy is the "heavy weight"? Did you do warmups or did you go right into your heavy weight? The more detailed the better.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

bulking again
    well i was doin 165 which i think is fairly light.. maybe i should go lighter and do slower negatives.. maybe 4 second negatives and 2-3 second positive does that seem very controled? that's how i do everything else and yes it gets me very sore the next day. I started squats doing around 145 just to get the form down perfect. Yes im really weak on my lower body

Keep your head up.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Just make sure you keep good form throughout the entire lift, keep your shoulder blades pinched and your head up, try to look at like at a 45 degree angle up. I hurt my back squatting two years ago, no fun let me tell you. I was on my 3rd rep of 315, and just had this horrible sensation. My back hasn't been the same sense. Though my strength is finally coming back. Just don't rush yourself, let your body get used to the weight.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

Sharp pains in the lower back are commonly the result of a nerve being irritated. It is possible to damage discs in your back via heavy squatting and deadlifting, but with the weights you've mentioned, I highly doubt that's the case. And you can go to a chiropractor for $20-30. The can do a stress test on your back muscles to see if there is something unusual happening down there.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    It’s a bird… It’s a plane… nope, it’s me soarin’ past everybody.

my lower back really feels it on squats. it doesn't hurt, but it definitely feels worked.

it should feel 'worked'. It _is_ supporting a decent amount of weight and stabilizing yoru body.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    It’s a bird… It’s a plane… nope, it’s me soarin’ past everybody.

Wannabebig Member
    I find that unless I consciously try to press through the floor on squats I have a tendency to lean forward slightly and put my back into it. It's subtle enough that I don't think a PT would notice, but I can feel the difference. Focus on using your legs.

here's a tip a couple bodybuilders showed me (husband and wife.. thats why i say couple..)

anyways...when ur doing squats.. do as Ironman15 said and keep ur back pinched and ur head up....

pur ur heels about shoulder width apart.. and stick ur toes out about a 30 degree angle...when you lower the weight.. stick ur chest way out and make sure you go the enter way.. parallel... even a little lower if you want.. i like to go lower because it takes stress of my knees.. when you are coming back up... push with ur heels and not ur toes.. DO NOT LEAN FORWARD...if you're pushing with ur toes ur doing it wrong... kind of almost lift ur toes up off the ground.. but dont cuz you'll lose balance.. lol.. but just visualize that.. take the weight off ur toes and support everything with ur heels...now when you're going up.. when the weight starts to get really heavy and you feel the burn.. try PULLING on the barbell.. i know that sounds silly and all of us know that you arent ACTUALLY going to bend the bar.. but imagine that the bar just pi$$ed you off and you're going to break it in half over you're back.. do that at the same time you're thrusting with ur heels...and just as Lex2006 said.. try to press THROUGH the floor.....

you WILL notice the difference when you do it right.. if done right you wont have any pain in ur back and you shouldnt even feel a 'pump'...but ur legs will be on fire... and the next day i GUARANTEE it will be hard to walk.. because that little muscle on the front of ur shin... from trying to KEEP from using ur toes (almost lifting them off the ground and driving ur heels through the floor) will make that little muscle hurt.. and burn all day long...

i hope that helps..

ps.. dont start with heavy weight.. drop down to like 135 and practice that form for a couple sets before going heavier.. and dont just jump up 200lbs.. go gradually so the form does go to sh!t.. once you have the form down.. its all a matter of how fast the weight goes up because form becomes natural...

good luck bro!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Like everyone says, drop the weight and get your form down. You should always warm up with something light. And don't increase any more than 10 lbs per week. Take a week off every now and then to rest the muscles.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Banned
    What's probably happening is that your feet are too close together and you have poor ankle flexability. This will force you to lean forward the farther you go down. What you can do to remedy this is:
    1. Widen your stance
    2. Point your toes out
    3. Squat with work boots, or other shoe with elevated heel
    4. Carry the bar lower on your traps

You will notice right away that you have better back position.

Of course, start out light to get used to the changes.

keeping ur abs tight will help support your lower back

Quote Originally Posted by supirman
    Sharp pains in the lower back are commonly the result of a nerve being irritated. It is possible to damage discs in your back via heavy squatting and deadlifting, but with the weights you've mentioned, I highly doubt that's the case. And you can go to a chiropractor for $20-30. The can do a stress test on your back muscles to see if there is something unusual happening down there.
    :withstupi

I have a bad lower back and squatting with 135 leaves my back sore the next day, even with good form. I'd advise getting your back checked out like Supirman suggests before you continue squatting.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Also advise having it checked out. If they can find nothing wrong with it, you might just have a weaker lower back. Strengthen it up by stuff like goodmornings and hyperextensions.

Other then that, yeah, like everyone else said, make sure your form is going good.
    LaLa

Try pre-exhausting the muscles you're trying to target.

I started doing lunges, which are a heck of a good exercise in and of themselves, and don't strain the lower back much at all. Then, I did squats, but at a much lighter weight than normal. Hamstrings, glutes, and quads got as good a workout as usual, and my lower back was happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Try pre-exhausting the muscles you're trying to target.

I started doing lunges, which are a heck of a good exercise in and of themselves, and don't strain the lower back much at all. Then, I did squats, but at a much lighter weight than normal. Hamstrings, glutes, and quads got as good a workout as usual, and my lower back was happy.
    yeah thats a good alternative I also did that in the past sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DontGiveUp
    What's probably happening is that your feet are too close together and you have poor ankle flexability. This will force you to lean forward the farther you go down. What you can do to remedy this is:
    1. Widen your stance
    2. Point your toes out
    3. Squat with work boots, or other shoe with elevated heel
    4. Carry the bar lower on your traps

You will notice right away that you have better back position.

Of course, start out light to get used to the changes.
    Good advice