The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Did 20 rep squats for first time...

I performed 20 rep squats for the first time this month and I am amazed at how intense and painful they are! I have been lifting for about 10 months now and bench about 305 and Deadlift Conventional 350 but I never really squatted due to my height of 6'4. Instead I did leg presses only with a 700 pound max on these. I decided to try squatting after reading numerous articles on their superiority to Leg Presses. I didn't believe it until I squatted and felt extreme pain for 5 days afterwards. I never had DOMs with Leg Presses but after doing wide stance squats with 135x20 times and then 155x25 times I was ready to take some serious pain pills. I could hardly walk afterwards! The next 4 days were sheer hell as I couldn't walk without major DOM in my Glutes, Adductors, Hams and Quads. I swear that the DOMs pain is more than I ever felt in any training before in my life. It hurts! I am hoping that this pain equates to super growth as I will continue to move up 20 pounds each week doing 20 rep squats. I feel that I should be able to get up to 225 - 250 with 20 reps in about a month. We shall see.

Later

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do 20 rep squats for fun sometimes. 250 would be most impressive. Don't hurt yourself, and don't sacrifice form. It's awfully easy to lose concentration when you get up to that many reps.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

good stuff man...just keep it up...Being tall sucks for squats...i have a friend thats about your height and he hates leg day, but one thing i can say is that he has some massive quads...freakish...
    High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.

My hamstrings are sore, im walkin real funny.
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    if you can move up 20 pounds each week in 20 rep squats that would be amazing but the increase in weight will level off to about 5 to 10 pounds a week, but yeah they are very very tough to do, and will leave you walking very funny for a few days, just pray you dont have to go to the bathroom in a public place the following day.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

That's how I felt the first time I did deadlifts too.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Hell, five-ten pounds a week on squats when doing lower to midrange reps is impressive. Though I suppose as a beginner to the world of squatting you'll be able to move up rather quickly in it.

Enjoy. And try doing something fun like a set of 20, and then a set of 5. Those are fun as well.
    LaLa

20 pounds a week? That's impossible even with steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    20 pounds a week? That's impossible even with steroids.
    For the first bit, he'll be able to go up weight rather quickly. I'm not saying 20 pounds a week, nor am I saying he'll be able to keep those gains up consistently. But the body will adapt to doing a new exercise, and learn how to use the muscles more effectively to do so. If he wants to give 20 pounds a week a shot, leave him be. It's his goal, and it gives him something to shoot for. If he doesn't make it, well, at least he's trying.
    LaLa

Quote Originally Posted by Nights
    For the first bit, he'll be able to go up weight rather quickly. I'm not saying 20 pounds a week, nor am I saying he'll be able to keep those gains up consistently. But the body will adapt to doing a new exercise, and learn how to use the muscles more effectively to do so. If he wants to give 20 pounds a week a shot, leave him be. It's his goal, and it gives him something to shoot for. If he doesn't make it, well, at least he's trying.
    I'm not saying it's bad to set a goal so high. Heck, it could be for some people. It could be discouraging if they don't make it. But that's beside the point.

Instead of it coming off like a goal, it sounded more like he was showing off that he was going up 20 pounds each week. I just responded by saying it was BS.

I am always sore after leg day( sometimes for 2 days later), but I do not do all those reps(20). I stick in the 6-8 range on squats and front squats.

I went on a program of 4 sets of 12 reps with an old workout partner. After 4 weeks I was going up on the weight and happy about it. I had another gym member check my form. From trying to go faster to get the reps done, I wasn't doing full squats. I was not going all the way down.

It took me 2 weeks and a few sets of box squats to get my proper form back!!

Just be careful and don't sacrifice reps for proper form.

Did'nt mean to sound cocky...

Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    I'm not saying it's bad to set a goal so high. Heck, it could be for some people. It could be discouraging if they don't make it. But that's beside the point.

Instead of it coming off like a goal, it sounded more like he was showing off that he was going up 20 pounds each week. I just responded by saying it was BS.
    I meant to say that I am going to try to move up 20 pounds a week until I hit that point where my body tapers off. I just felt that that point might be around 225-250 where I will no longer be able to move up 20 pounds a week. At that point I will hope for maybe 5-10 a week at most. I also figured that if I am able to leg press 550 12-15 times I should be able to squat wide 225-250 with around 20 reps fairly quickly. I reiterate that I didn't mean to sound like am going to move up twenty pounds every week no matter what. My post was worded badly. I am also a natural lifter and have been using HIT via Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty books and I have been making great progress in all my lifts in the last ten months.

Peace

after a leg day i just walk and it feels like my legs arent there
    so im moving in different directions down the street, will be a bastard iff i fall and break something ;p
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

I squatted 135 x 40 reps about a month ago.

Man, talk about intense.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Got you one up. 135x100.

Bad, bad bet to make with a friend. She was like "In cardio class, we had to do like a hundred squats." I, naturally, made fun of her and the five pound bar they use in the class. Somehow it ended up with a meal bet on me doing a hundred squats with a plate a side.

To make it worse, I was doing westsides system for the last month before I did it. I was not exactly prepared to do hundreds. I walked funny for way too long afterwards.
    LaLa

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToSquat
    I meant to say that I am going to try to move up 20 pounds a week until I hit that point where my body tapers off. I just felt that that point might be around 225-250 where I will no longer be able to move up 20 pounds a week. At that point I will hope for maybe 5-10 a week at most. I also figured that if I am able to leg press 550 12-15 times I should be able to squat wide 225-250 with around 20 reps fairly quickly. I reiterate that I didn't mean to sound like am going to move up twenty pounds every week no matter what. My post was worded badly. I am also a natural lifter and have been using HIT via Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty books and I have been making great progress in all my lifts in the last ten months.

Peace
    hmm u like HIT? i tried it and i didnt like it and didnt respond to it well, usually when i do 20 rep squats i do about 3 sets of them and thats about all i can do for legs that day
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Nights
    Got you one up. 135x100.

Bad, bad bet to make with a friend. She was like "In cardio class, we had to do like a hundred squats." I, naturally, made fun of her and the five pound bar they use in the class. Somehow it ended up with a meal bet on me doing a hundred squats with a plate a side.

To make it worse, I was doing westsides system for the last month before I did it. I was not exactly prepared to do hundreds. I walked funny for way too long afterwards.
    Sick. I would wager maybe I could do 50 at 135. Not 100 though. I think I'd pass out first.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

HIT has helped me

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    hmm u like HIT? i tried it and i didnt like it and didnt respond to it well, usually when i do 20 rep squats i do about 3 sets of them and thats about all i can do for legs that day
    So far I have been having good results with HIT over the last ten months. I lifted sporadically over the years but I never stayed with a program for more than three months until I started HIT last July. I work each bodypart about once every five to seven days and I have honestly been moving up in weights in all of my workouts about 80% of the time. An example are Dips and Benching. Last July I was able to Dip my bodyweight of 230 pounds only for 4 reps. I know use two 35 pound plates hooked on to a belt and do 6 reps. So I added about 70 pounds to my Dips over 10 months. My benching has also benefited from HIT. Last July my bench was 155x8, today I bench 225x10. I have also progressed in my other exercises such as the Dumbbell shoulder press going from 35x10 to 70x5 and leg press from 300x10 to 550x12-15. My only regret was not having been squatting for the last ten months instead of leg presses. Until I stop progressing I guess I will continue to use HIT.