Thread: basmati rice carb count WTF?

Hybrid View

basmati rice carb count WTF?

Question...

How many cups is 100g of cooked rice?

I'm asking cuz I bought this huge bag of basmati rice today and it's got a carb count of 78.1g per 100g cooked... 8.8 protein... the carb count seems way to high...

(I haven't cooked the rice yet to messure it, since I haven't opened the bag in case I want to return it.)

Any info would be appriciated..

Thx,

_8_Ball

seems about right. Well, 1/2 cup dry has about ~70g carbs
    Last edited by Manveet; 05-31-2004 at 07:38 PM.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    seems about right. Well, 1/2 cup dry has about ~70g carbs
    1/2 cup dry is about 1 to 1.5 cups cooked... then it's fine since I never eat more then 1 cup at a time anyways... and it would be about 50 carbs...

thanks,

Grasshoppa
    1 cup of cooked rice would be like 50 grams of carbs.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    1 cup of cooked rice would be like 50 grams of carbs.
    Yeah, that's fine, I was afraid that 100g was like 1 cup or less... 50 carbs is not too bad, but 78 would of been to many carbs for one meal...

*for me anyways...

_8_

Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball
    Yeah, that's fine, I was afraid that 100g was like 1 cup or less... 50 carbs is not too bad, but 78 would of been to many carbs for one meal...

*for me anyways...

_8_

Well interesting... I cooked 1 cup this morning and it comes up to 180g... thta would mean almost 150carbs... wich obviously is not possible...

I hate that...

_8_

Go for brown or wholewheat rice next time. There's more fibre to keep you fuller for longer.

Unless getting more calories in is your aim. Then white rice is good stuff. Makes me more hungry than i was after eating that stuff. At least after about an hour or so.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]