The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New to weightlifting, need help

Hey everyone im new to weightlifting , just started 3 weeks ago and i was just wondering some things about going to the gym. . i go to the gym for 2 - 2 1/2 hours 4 times a week , and i work my body upper body for 2 days, and my lower for 2 days. 3 sets of 10 reps for all my excersises, and i only do one excercise for one body part. ( ex. only shoulder press for shoulders). can anyone tell me if this is the right way to go if i want to gain more mass and just get bigger?

Thanks John

Stats:
    Height: 5"8
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Bench press: 75 lbs (10 reps)
    Bicep Curls: 20 lbs (10 reps)
    Last edited by -John-; 06-06-2004 at 08:44 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

one thing on the reps. if your goal is to get BIGGER then use about 70-80% of your one rep max in smaller sets. otherwise keep it up man
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    70 - 80% of one of my rep max? (ex. 10 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps) that would be 3 sets right?

same amount of sets, just lower your reps to 3-4 or so. the point of not going above 80% is to not wear out your centeral nervous system. the point of 75-80% is to use a big weight u can manage and to tear your muscle fibers in bigger threads. so while doing these 3-4 reps do them slowly and in good form, and grow! i've been doing it and seen very good results
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    oooh alright thanks alot man, so thats like 12 reps in total of the 3 sets is what your saying. but how do i know if ive hit that 80% point, and i should go above it is what your saying. does my half body routine sound alright though?
    Last edited by -John-; 06-06-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    John, could you post what lifts you are doing too? Like bench, leg press, pullups, etc.

Wannabebig Member
    Monday: Shoulder Press , Bicep Curls , Tricep extensions, Seated Rowing, Lat Pulldown, Shrugs, Chest Fly , Shrugs , and the roll up thing for forearms.

Wendsday: Leg Extenstions , Leg curls, Calf Raisers, Lower back extension, Abdominal machine, Seated Leg Press, and oblique excersises with dumbells.

these are my two work out routines, i switch them around so i would do mondays work out on friday, wendsdays on sunday and then back to monday.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by -John-
    Monday: Shoulder Press , Bicep Curls , Tricep extensions, Seated Rowing, Lat Pulldown, Shrugs, Chest Fly , Shrugs , and the roll up thing for forearms.

Wendsday: Leg Extenstions , Leg curls, Calf Raisers, Lower back extension, Abdominal machine, Seated Leg Press, and oblique excersises with dumbells.

these are my two work out routines, i switch them around so i would do mondays work out on friday, wendsdays on sunday and then back to monday.
    The majority of these exercises are isolation exercises. While isolation exercises have their place, they are not much good for gaining mass. If you want mass, you HAVE to train with compound exercises. There is no getting around this (unless you are on gear, or have Arnold-like genetics)
    Some of the best compound exercises are squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, chins and leg press. These are the exercises that will put size on you. As for the time 2.5 hours is FAR too long. A good workout should take an hour at most.

Feel free to disregard this advice if you choose. But I can pretty much promise you that with the duration of your workouts and exercise selection, that you are not likely to gain a lot of mass (if any). This is not a flame BTW, just advice.

dood, your spending WAY to much time at the gym...
    Unless ur on gear there is little reason you can't do a full routine within 30-45 minutes...
    what the heck do you do for 2-2.5 hours???

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    The majority of these exercises are isolation exercises. While isolation exercises have their place, they are not much good for gaining mass. If you want mass, you HAVE to train with compound exercises. There is no getting around this (unless you are on gear, or have Arnold-like genetics)
    Some of the best compound exercises are squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, chins and leg press. These are the exercises that will put size on you. As for the time 2.5 hours is FAR too long. A good workout should take an hour at most.

Feel free to disregard this advice if you choose. But I can pretty much promise you that with the duration of your workouts and exercise selection, that you are not likely to gain a lot of mass (if any). This is not a flame BTW, just advice.
    Well I wouldn't say he can't gain any mass with the isolation work. I htink if he lifts heavy enough, he'll still gain. However, you are correct that he spends way too much time in the gym. Using compounds will shorten his time and recruit more muscles. He'll kill more birds with 1 stone.

I think if you want to use isolation, use it after a compound. For example, Bench press, then some sort of fly. Squat, Leg press or leg extension.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 06-07-2004 at 09:27 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

i agree with geoff and extreme in the respects that u need to do bench press, squats,and dead lifts, plus one hour at the gym is plenty. maybe u should max out at all these exercises and take that and find 75-80% of it and use that for your sets with about 3-4 reps of ever how many sets ur gonna do

My Exploits

too much in one day....
    and not good exercises!! (simple barbell press are best for muscle development)

try:
    a 4 day routine like this (spread out over a 1 week period):

Day 1: chest & triceps - maybe 1hr- 1.5hrs
    Incline barbell bench press, 4reps, drop 10lbs 6 reps, drop 10lbs 8 reps
    Flat or decline barbell bench, same thing 4,6, 8
    dips, 15,10,10
    flat dumbell flyes - light weight to stretch out chest go deep 2x15

Day 2: Legs
    squats, 10, 12, 14
    leg press 14, 12, 10
    leg curls/extensions 3 x 10
    calve raises 3 x 15-20

Day 3: back & biceps
    Bentover rows: 8, 10, 12
    deadlifts: 3 x 10
    pull downs/ups
    preacher curl 6,8, 10
    hammer curl 8,10, 12
    pulley rope curl 3 x 10
    (if your calves are skinny 3 x 20 on this day too)

Day 4: Shoulders & Triceps
    BNP/Military press 8, 10 ,12
    lat flyes 3 x 10
    rope pushdowns 3 x 10
    skull crushers 3 x 10

Most of your muscles you only need to train every 5-7 days.
    Chest, quads, back - 1x week
    Biceps, Triceps you can train 2x week
    calves & forearms you can train 3x week if you need it

Do weight heavy enough so you can only do the target number of reps. And try adding 5lbs every other week(or when necessary) and keeping reps up.

Keep Day #1 & #4 three to four days apart
    Suggestion
    Sunday: Shoulders & Triceps
    Tuesday: Legs
    Thursday: Chest & Triceps
    Saturday: Back & Biceps

Sample bench press: instead of 75x10 x 3 sets
    try
    105 x 4+
    95 x 6+
    85 x 8+
    Last edited by chris6969; 06-07-2004 at 01:39 PM.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

Wannabebig Member
    alright thanks guys, il post again if i ever get confused again

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    [QUOTE=Max-Mex]Well I wouldn't say he can't gain any mass with the isolation work. I htink if he lifts heavy enough, he'll still gain. However, you are correct that he spends way too much time in the gym. Using compounds will shorten his time and recruit more muscles. He'll kill more birds with 1 stone.

QUOTE]

Oh, one can still gain by doing isolation work. What I said was that it was not likely. And if you do that for 2.5 hours you are very likely to overtrain, thus not gaining any mass and actually losing it which is why I said ("any")

I agree to much time in the gym. You can't concentrate that long. 1 hour is long enough.

When I first started lifting, I followed the Arnold Swart. Body Building book. I worked out for about an hour and a half. I overtrained trying to do all those exerc. You would need to have the juice to follow that routine.

Now I work out 4-5 days a week hitting a different body part every day (once a week). I like it. Seems to work for me.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Wannabebig Member
    The point on using 70-80% to tear my muscle fibers in bigger threads, how do i know when im tearing the fibers, and when its gotten to the point ive over done it and that its not working? because i tried the lower reps and heavier weights, and i dont feel the same burn i feel when i do 10 reps of lighter weights. is it also neccaserry to do two different excercieses in the same day for the same body part, or would that be overtraining also?
    Last edited by -John-; 06-07-2004 at 09:07 PM.

you'll be sore as hell the next day.... then you know you worked out hard enough.

trust me 1 - 1.5 hours... simple presses.... that work out multiple muscles like bench press, squat, military press, etc.... heavy weight, low reps.... with 2-3 minutes between sets... will bulk you up.

Training 2.5 hours concentrated exercises @ 3 sets x 10 reps will get you NOWHERE.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

Wannabebig Member
    Hey man, iam your age, and around 167lbs down from 180lbs of pure fat haha. I've been lifting since around september, starting to get real serious, and doing far less then you i gained 2" on my triceps (15" now) and overall gained a signifigant amount of definition and muscle, keep going though, with dedication like that your sure to be big in time for school next year

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    The point on using 70-80% to tear my muscle fibers in bigger threads, how do i know when im tearing the fibers, and when its gotten to the point ive over done it and that its not working? because i tried the lower reps and heavier weights, and i dont feel the same burn i feel when i do 10 reps of lighter weights. is it also neccaserry to do two different excercieses in the same day for the same body part, or would that be overtraining also?

I suggest going to the main forums and looking for the one that is entitled WBB routines. WWB2 is probably the kind of routine that you are looking for.

lots of reps with lower weights will give you endurance with what you already have. of course it will feel different it's doing something alot diff. than low reps high weight. and as long as you do what you're going to do in 1-1.5 hours, the sets you will complete probably won't be overtraining

My Exploits