31 67.39%
  • Last back exercise

7 15.22%
  • Other

8 17.39%

Thread: When to dead lift

Wannabebig Member

When to dead lift

Do you deadlift first or last on your back day?
    Or do you deadlift on a non-back day?

First back exercise.

I used to do them on their own day, and it improved my max.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I consider this to be a max effort exercise, so not high volume. So that being the case it should come first when strength is greatest. Other than potentially your grip, it won't kill any single other muscle group to hinder the rest of your back workout, but your back workout will probably hinder your deadlift quite a bit if done last.

Another point is that if you do other exercises first, and then go in to do deadlifts last after a lot of fatigue, your form could suffer leading to other complications. Best to do the movements that involve the most motor recruitment first, to avoid something like that.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh, and as is popular here, another alternative is to have deadlifts on it's own day.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Own day. Cause they own the day!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    I have not deadlifted for a while, but I used to do them first on my back day.
    I stopped deadlifting beacuse I tore my ACL last summer and was afraid I would cause further damage. I had my knee fixed 2.5 months ago and I feel I almost recovered to the point where I can start deadlifting again.
    Last night I did deads for the first time as a last back exercise.
    I did a warmup set of:
    8x135
    and 2 sets of 6x225
    It felt good, but I am still a bit afraid. I guess I have to get over the mental fear and go heavy again. Do you guys have any pointers as to how I should ease into them deadlifts again?
    Last edited by talonted; 02-12-2004 at 11:56 AM.

I do them last on back day.
    Yes my back is fatigued at this point...but my legs and other supporting muscles are fresh and can give 100% which allows me to push my back harder (obviously I'm in disagreement with others...and I agree to disagree)

right now i do them 2nd after squats on leg day...but subject to change
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

i usually have an open day during my 5-day week of workout, for "olympic lifts" such as deadlifts hang cleans etc. i believe it is important enough to have its own day for as it is very important i believe

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Since deads are a full body exercise with main focus on legs, it makes sense to do them on leg day. If I used a split routine, that's what I would do.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    I also do them on leg day, as my first excercise (alternate with squat every 4 days)

Must.. Eat.. More..
    I do my pullups first, then goto deads.
    This seems like the cool thing to do...

READ MY JOURNAL: CLCIK HERE FOR TITS.. i mean my journal..
    my pics

If I do deads first the rest of my back day blows because I'm exhausted. I'm gaining great on them currently and doing them last.

Always first on back day.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Wannabebig New Member

heavy deadlifts once a week

I've added deadlifts once a week to my bodybuilding routine, as heavy as possible without using a belt, I love deadlifts and have managed to put on a lot of weight recently, I have to give deadlifts some of the credit for my recent success.

Quote Originally Posted by talonted
    I have not deadlifted for a while, but I used to do them first on my back day.
    I stopped deadlifting beacuse I tore my ACL last summer and was afraid I would cause further damage. I had my knee fixed 2.5 months ago and I feel I almost recovered to the point where I can start deadlifting again.
    Last night I did deads for the first time as a last back exercise.
    I did a warmup set of:
    8x135
    and 2 sets of 6x225
    It felt good, but I am still a bit afraid. I guess I have to get over the mental fear and go heavy again. Do you guys have any pointers as to how I should ease into them deadlifts again?
    If you're only 2.5 months post-op, I wouldn't recommend going heavy on deads. Wait until you've been cleared by your ortho, PT, or AT before you start that.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

Yeah I tore my ACL and worked through it on my own. When I did start doing lifts that involved it again I took them extreamly light and allowed plenty of recovery. It's been a year and a half now and I've never felt the slightest thing from it since.

I do my traps ( 4 sets of barbell shrugs, 4 sets of behind-the-back barbell shrugs), then I do deadlifts, and then the rest of my back exercises. I can't do them at the end of my workout, I'm just too exhausted by then.

I like to do my deadlifts as the first exercise. I would do the rest of my back on deadlift day but my grip suffers quite a bit trying to do reps with chinups and dumbbell rows after deads, so I do the rest of my back on a separate day.

i do the deads first usually
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits