The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

low-carb or cutting a better idea?

Hey everyone, im new to this forum. I use other forums. Im 18 years old, Im 5'5, last time I weighed myself was 3 weeks ago and I weighed at 180. I also measured my muscles, and I have 13 inch arms, 38 inch chest, 25 inch legs, and 42 inch shoulders. I weighed 195 pounds last year, mostly fat...so I went on the atkins diet and lost 43 pounds..i weighed 155 pounds when I was done. Then i started working out, and I gained back 25 pounds, to weigh 180. But I dont look a thing like last year, most of what I gained I believe was muscle. I still look sorta lean. Now is where Im curious...its the summer, Im going away to college on September 4th in Canada, and I want to look my best. I want to look lean, lose my gut-lose my love handles and my "chest fat". I also want to have built arms, shoulders, chest, and all. So im deciding to either cut or just do low-carb. I want to get down to at least 160...so should i cut or do low-carb, then start working out again?? im not sure if i should cut, or stop working out for 2 months and do low-carb again...then start working out again and bulk. If I cut, my plan is to wake up, having some protein (maybe tuna-no carbs) and then run a mile and walk high intensity. Walking high intensity i hear prevents u from losing muscle, and so does having protein before cardio. Then every 2 hours i eat more protein (tuna, meat, salmon, mackerel, shake)...i go to the gym around noon and workout for 45 minutes, then do an hour or so of cardio, with a protein shake before the cardio. Ill also try not to consume sugar, leave all my carbs to complex carbs, and try to eat around 150-200g of carbs a day, ketogenic range. Also try to lower my caloric intake to around 2200-2500. Like I said, im gonna start this plan once school finishes for me, June 11th and go until September 3rd. Is it possible at all to drop 20 pounds, or maybe even 25 pounds (hopefully fat) with the diet plan im talking about? Like i said, i want to go to college looking lean and muscular. If not, then i guess doing low-carb until the end of July is a better idea, then start bulking in August?? What do you guys think?? My AIM screen-name is VenezianPrince if u want to give me advice, so any advice will be appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Low carbing is a way to cut! That's what you did on Atkins. Cutting is losing fat. But if you're lifting, you don't want to do Atkins, since it's for couch potatoes.

If you want to do a low carb cut, do a ckd, cyclic ketogenic diet. It's basically Atkins, but with a once a week carb refeed. You take in carbs for 12-24 hours to replenish muscle and liver glycogen and fuel your weekly workouts. I did it last year for a short time and had good results, and have started it again.

An alternative to a ckd would be a tkd or targetted ketogenic diet where carbs are only ingested pre/postworkout to give you energy to lift and refill muscle glycogen.

UD2.0 is a pretty popular form of a ckd. You can read more about it at www.bodyrecomposition.com and there's a few threads on here about it you may want to search for.

You sound pretty hung up on weight. Maybe you should look into checking your body fat and trying to reduce that not just weight. Unless you are trying not to put some undue burden on the earths crust fearing some negative impact on the core. In which case you should probably be offended by the idea of a gym.
    Last edited by SquareHead; 06-03-2004 at 07:56 AM.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P