The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question for Paul and the experienced

Hello

I'm still a beginner to this bodybuilding. My question is if i'm doing 3 sets of any workout,how many repetitions is sufficient?

And do you know of any good diets ,appropriate food for people who are training and bodybuilding. Just list the food that is necessary and the stuff to be avoided. I searched in the nutrition section but I still didnt get a very clear answer,and I am still a beginner so I prefer to get a a clear answer from soemone experienced.

Thank you very very much

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    It would probably be better if you stuck to more specific questions. To reply to your post properly one would have to write an article.

About the repetitions, in terms of what seems to have the most potential for hypertrophy according to recent research is loads that allow you to do around 5 reps. Generally speaking the heavier the load the most potential for microtrauma it has, as long as the metabolic demand is enough. An exercise that provides a better stretch at a loaded position should also produce more microtrauma and thus more hypertrophy, all other things being equal. There really is no direct answer to your question other than saying that reps are not important progressive loading is. As long as there's a trend for the load to increase over time in sufficient amounts, there should be muscle gains.

About the nutrition part focus on getting enough protein (1 gr per pound of BW) a decent amount of fat (25-30%) and the rest can be carbs. Avoid trans and hidrogenated fats and try not to be eating sugary crap all day and you should be fine. Be sure to get some whey protein before your workout and try to have around 4 meals per day. Calories you'll have to figure out for yourself.
    Last edited by restless; 06-06-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Delphi Fusion
    What restless said seems logical and true.

I wouldn't say I am experienced (not as experienced as a lot of people here) but in my own opinion regarding the reps it depends on the exercise. A compound exercise that can be performed with a lot of weight will need less reps to stress the muscle on the other hand an isolation exercise which can only be performed with a small weight without damaging the muscle may require more reps.

Personally I'd prefer to base it on my own experience and my own body. Somewhere between 4 and 12 is right for me depending on the weight, exercise and the stress already put on those muscles in the exercises I have already done in that session.

Of course the more stress put on the muscle the more time needed after the workout to recover.

In my own opinion. Hopefully someone can set you straight a little better.
    Last edited by BlueAura; 06-06-2004 at 08:48 AM.
    "You see what power is - holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them!"

I'm still a beginner to this bodybuilding. My question is if i'm doing 3 sets of any workout,how many repetitions is sufficient?

** Depends. Could be anywhere between 1 and 20.

And do you know of any good diets ,appropriate food for people who are training and bodybuilding. Just list the food that is necessary and the stuff to be avoided. I searched in the nutrition section but I still didnt get a very clear answer,and I am still a beginner so I prefer to get a a clear answer from soemone experienced.

** You need to be more specific. In general, there are no magic foods - it's a good idea to limit overly processed stuff, but you can lose weight eating pizza every now and again.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Top page nutrition sticky. 8 -12 until your form is on then decrease reps. my 2 cents