Thread: Question about lower abs

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

Question about lower abs

Whats the best workout for lower abs, I'm looking to increase abdominal muscle thats right next to the hips that girls freak over.I've been doing leg raises in conjunction with my normal oblique and ab excercises, they seem to be working, but I was wondering if anyone knew a better ab routine for that spot.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

newb
    weighted incline sit ups always work great for over all ab development for me. My lowers are sore right now from doing them last night in fact.
    Weight: 190
    Bench: 255x1
    Squat: 225x8 (still working up to 1rm)
    Dead: 335x1

no such thing as lower abs.

Your hip flexors are sore not your lower abs.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

Lower Abdominal Myth
    It is widely believe the lower abs are exercised during the leg raise or other hip flexor exercises. It can be misleading to judge the mechanics of an exercise based upon localized muscular fatigue. The primary muscle used in hip flexion is actually the Iliopsoas, one of many hip flexors. The Iliopsoas, indeed, does happen to originate deep below the lower portion of the Rectus Abdominis. During the leg raise the entire abdominal musculature isometrically contracts (contracts with no significant movement) to:

Posture the spine and pelvis
    Supports the weight of the lower body so the lumbar spine does not hyperextend excessively
    Maintains optimal biomechanics of the Iliopsoas
    Hips are kept from prematurely flexing if the lumbar spine and pelvis does not hyperextend excessively
    Iliopsoas can contract more forcefully in a relatively slight stretched position
    Bent knee (and hip) situps actually place Iliopsoas in a mechanical disadvantage
    Counteracts Ilopsoas's pull on spine
    Many people with weak abdominal muscles are not able to perform hip flexor exercises without acute lower back pain or discomfort
    The combination of the local muscular fatigue, or a burning sensation from the isometrically contracted abdominal muscles, and from the working hip flexors produces fatigue in the pelvis area which we mistakenly interpret as the lower portion of the Rectus Abdominis being exercised. In movements where the Rectus Abdominis does Isotonically contract (contracts with movement), it flexes the spine by contracting the entire muscle from origin to insertion. The spine is not significantly flexed during the leg raise. Incidentally, both the spine and hip flexes during the Sit Up and Hip Raise. See Spot Reduction Myth above.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 05-25-2004 at 11:17 PM.

So those are hip flexors

I've heard that there are no such thing as lower abs, so those are hip flexors, what is a good lift for hip flexors.

Starting Current

kneee up or leg raises.

Last edited by harryhoudini66; 05-25-2004 at 11:36 PM.

You already have hip flexors. You just need to lose bodyfat to make them visible.

are hip flexors even visible?
    from those pics it looks like they are behind the abdominal and obliques....

ok. everything thats been posted here by harry and mixmaster is correct...

the big picture is this:

you do have lower abs. They are the lower group (of 4 bellies) of the rectus abdiminis group. The entire rectus abdiminis group is supplied by the same nerves and so you cannot actually flex any of the 4 bellies individually...the entire group contracts or it dosnt.

The hip flexor group (iliopsoas - that lifts your legs when laying on your back doing leg raises) is DEEP to the rectus abdiminis group and is therefore underneath it. Its so deep its actually closer to your back than your front.

A "six pack" is simply a lower enough body fat combined with reasonably worked rectus abdiminis group. Its VERY VERY difficult to get to see the lower "4th" belly of this group as its basically from your navel to your pubic bone and very long compared to the other three bellies that make up the six pack. you will never see the hip flexor group no matter how much you train them. You may just be able to see the bottom end of them as they pass under the inguinal ligament (down by your groin)...but thats it really.

Six pack = low body fat + some crunches. The tops tend to show first as the stubborn abdominal fat tends to be lower than the top bellies.

Augs

skinny white boy
    Lower bodyfat %. Direct exercise isn't necessary, but some weighted crunches will help.

I put a 50lb plate on my chest, and a heavy (like 40lbs) DB between my feet

Tucking my hands under my ass, just do leg raises in this manner. You dont feel a burn but its extremely demanding, and rocks your abs!!!!
    Last edited by Allyrulez; 05-26-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    ok. everything thats been posted here by harry and mixmaster is correct...

the big picture is this:

you do have lower abs. They are the lower group (of 4 bellies) of the rectus abdiminis group. The entire rectus abdiminis group is supplied by the same nerves and so you cannot actually flex any of the 4 bellies individually...the entire group contracts or it dosnt.

The hip flexor group (iliopsoas - that lifts your legs when laying on your back doing leg raises) is DEEP to the rectus abdiminis group and is therefore underneath it. Its so deep its actually closer to your back than your front.

A "six pack" is simply a lower enough body fat combined with reasonably worked rectus abdiminis group. Its VERY VERY difficult to get to see the lower "4th" belly of this group as its basically from your navel to your pubic bone and very long compared to the other three bellies that make up the six pack. you will never see the hip flexor group no matter how much you train them. You may just be able to see the bottom end of them as they pass under the inguinal ligament (down by your groin)...but thats it really.

Six pack = low body fat + some crunches. The tops tend to show first as the stubborn abdominal fat tends to be lower than the top bellies.

Augs
    Um... someone translate in english please.

I was able to follow his post along and I'm a total BB newbie.

YMMV tho.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Translations available at very reasonable cost

Seriously...what didnt ya understand and ill shoot it in plain english. I get a bit carried away sometimes...sorry.

Augs

Simple translation

No such thing as lower abs

Lower abs exercises actually work the hip flexors, which are behind the abs and close to the back. They are not visible.

Want a six-pack? Get your diet in order and lower your body fat. The lower section of the abs, which is also the longest, is the hardest to see because that is usually the trouble spot for men. Our most stubborn fat is there.

My body fat is low

My body is low, I can see my six pac just fine, I was just wondering if anybody had some good workouts for that muscle that looks like \ / right below the belly button, its visible but I just want to make it larger.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    Tucking my hands under my ass, just do leg raises in this manner. You dont feel a burn but its extremely demanding, and rocks your abs!!!!
    You're holding up your hips slightly when you put your hands under you. It's best to rest them behind your head or to your sides.

mercury blade, how is it that you bench 180 and you only weigh 134lbs
    170lbs-5'11"-24yrs

Idling
    Quote Originally Posted by 155tostart
    mercury blade, how is it that you bench 180 and you only weigh 134lbs

What's so suprising about that? That seems normal to me. I weight 153 pounds and bench 235. 1.5 times my body weight which is considered good and quite a few people on this forum bench 1.5x their body weight.

Yeah but you're 5'8 and he's 5'11.

Quote Originally Posted by ecliptic
    What's so suprising about that? That seems normal to me. I weight 153 pounds and bench 235. 1.5 times my body weight which is considered good and quite a few people on this forum bench 1.5x their body weight.
    good powerlifters can do about 4 ish... I think