The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAW Deadlift

I beg to differ Mix. I find I do more work doing Sumo's than conventional. It has more to do with trying harder to get the bar off the ground. I never had this problem when doing conventionals (lockout was the problem there).
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Oh yea nice lift chris. I wanna grow u to DL likg chris...or at least close to it.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    I beg to differ Mix. I find I do more work doing Sumo's than conventional. It has more to do with trying harder to get the bar off the ground. I never had this problem when doing conventionals (lockout was the problem there).
    Yeah, and I would have a hard time deadlifting standing on one leg. Doesn't matter. The fact remains that the weight is not moving as far in a sumo DL than in a conventional DL, thus it is not an equivalent lift. Not saying sumos aren't a good training tool or a decent exercise, but they are definately not the same. Whether the difference here is comparable to PL squat vs olympic squat, or whether they are two entirely different exercises is debatable. I'm inclined to believe that 99% of competitors will just end up doing sumos just like they use a PL stance. Why? Because sumo is less work, whether or not some people find it harder, according to physics, and the motion is not so mechanically disadvantageous.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Chris's lift is still good. I would like to see how he lowers it though! Movie ended too early.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I think they're both equalled out by the fact some guys pull huge conventional and not sumo. And others still pull huge sumo and not conventional. It's all about your build.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Nice lift chris. Curious why you're doing singles with weight you could hit for triples? Generally people don't hit triples at lifts over 90% of their 1RM, and if you're working in a different percentage, you might do better to hit doubles.

You know what you're doing, obviously, this is just idle chatter on my part.

Just a program I have worked out for myself and am currently using. I take a weight that I can handle for 2-3 reps and perform 3 sets of singles. Once I feel like the weight has become easy I do 5 sets of singles. If that was sufficiently easy I move up 20 lbs for squats and deads and 10 lbs for bench at the next session (for 3 sets of singles). I am doing single arm overhead dumbbell presses for shoulders and I graduate 5 lbs at a time on those. You get the idea. There is a bit more to it than that, but I don't want to make a forever long post.

As to the sumo and non-sumo, it really depends on your strengths and weaknesses. As a general rule, the heavier guys tend to pull conventional and the lighter ones sumo. Both Bolton and Frank pull conventional. They could pull sumo if they wished and I sure they would if they could pulll more in that style.

As noted, my stance is a bit of a hybrid. My hands are barely inside of my knees. This particular stance just seems to suit me best. Interestingly enough I can pull almost as much with my heels nearly touching.
    Last edited by chris mason; 06-07-2004 at 07:00 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeh ..... why didn't you just record yourself doing the lift instead of showing us all the waiting, which is making the download longer ...... and useless to us.
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I still don't like the idea that a sumo and conventional dead are counted the same. Maybe if you sumo'ed and then brought your feet together... but there is clearly more work doing a conventional dead.
    If the powerlifting federations will accept either sumo or conventional for their purposes, it seems to me that that is a pretty good yardstick for determining whether or not they ought to be "counted the same".

hey chris u mentioned benching, i thought you didnt bench anymore, have you started again? Also i was wondering if you follow a routine similar to the one you recently posted in the bodybuilding section. I am following something very similar in my new bulk. It seems like a great idea
    Last edited by BigNic; 06-16-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Nic, I do follow such a routine. Here are all of the exercises I currently perform:

close-grip bench press
    squat
    deadlift
    standing calf raise
    seated single arm overhead dumbell press
    chins
    standing barbell curl
    overhead dumbbell tricep extension

I only perform the isolated arm work once every 2-3 sessions. I have recently begun the close-grip bench press again as it does not bother my shoulder as much. I do them after the overhead dumbbell presses and chins in my routine which decreases the weight I use (a good thing for my shoulder).

The only difference for me from what I recommended is that I am using 3 sets of singles. I don't recommend this to others just yet as I want to see how it goes first. I perform the singles with the same progression method I mentioned in the "stuck at 150 lbs" thread.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

and i was proud of 365. well that showed me and i'll work harder. very impressive chris.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I TRY to deadlift quickly and then something jerks me back toward the bar....................damn you gravity.......