The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Home Gym Equipment

Has anyone used the Weider Crossbow? Any thoughts on how it is?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

im not familiar with it, but id recommend purchasing free weights. Perhaps a olympic bar and weight set, a power rack, and a bench. Later on down the road maybe a curl bar, adjustable db's, and a pull up bar. Good luck bro.

btw. You prior military?
    Last edited by BigNic; 06-06-2004 at 11:50 AM.

Work keeps me pretty busy, so I purchased the Crossbow. I had one of the old style home gyms, but it wasn't versatile enough. I ended up maxing all the plates it came with. This crossbow is the best sub for free weights I have ever used. I recently did a workout at a friends gym of mine and after using the crossbow for the past 3 months, I have seen tremendous gains! Beleive me, I have always been a frere weight man, but the crossbow is a good substitute.

Thanks for the feedback bro.

I am former Army. 19k - did my 6 months in Iraq in '91 and wish I was there to kick some ass again

ya man if its working for you thas awesome. Im dep in the navy right now

I gained alot of respect for you Navy boys in the Gulf - you guys brought some power to the game!

I was a little hesitant to say I was using a home gym here, but I gotta tell you, I really like it. Besides, I have a small 2 room apartment so room is not abundant and I needed something to stay in training.

hey like i said, any type of resistance can make gains, if it aint broke why fixi t.

Wannabebig Member
    I know this is over a month old, but I wanted to respond.

I bought a Crossbow.
    Talk about a pain in the butt to assemble! you get a 1 Gallon ziplock bag with a ton of nuts & bolts, and really poorly labeled instructions.

Took me about 6 hours over the course of 2 days to assemble...it would have gone faster, but I was doing other crap at the same time.

My perception of the Crossbow, is that this will indeed give you a decent workout.

A friend thought it was a joke. He's benching over 250 at the gym, so we maxed the crossbow (it's either 210 or 220 lbs.) so he could show me how crappy it was- and he couldn't bench it. I thought he was going to have a big hissy fit. You should have seen the look on his face - so he's now thinking about buying one for convenience, and for doing a few work outs at home - he's a member of a gym near his house, but he has a hard time getting in a serious workout when he wants to. (He's not driving thanks to getting a DUI last year - at least he's quit drinking.)

For me the Crossbow (the one that sells at Sears for $500) is a fairly decent deal. It's letting me get a workout when I need to - and man, when I'm done - I am DONE. Which is something I never really got when I was going to the gym, and I'm not sure why....but between the crossbow and going vegetarian - I'm seeing some definite changes for the better in my body.

Plus, my brother is lifting with me - and he and I have been getting along a lot better since we started working out together. We weanted freeweights- but I didn't have $3,000 to put into gear, nor the place to put it. We set the Crossbow up in the Garage, and when we're done working out we fold it up, and it's relatively compact.
    Right now, we're mainly using it for upper Torso and mids... We thought we'd work on those areas for a couple of months before we add in leg routines.

Tim
    Last edited by Schweinhund; 07-22-2004 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schweinhund
    A friend thought it was a joke. He's benching over 250 at the gym, so we maxed the crossbow (it's either 210 or 220 lbs.) so he could show me how crappy it was- and he couldn't bench it. I thought he was going to have a big hissy fit. You should have seen the look on his face
    This doesn't really impress me. The same thing will happen if you lift with barbells all the time and then switch to dumbells. It's hard for a while until you get used to it. It might be a good substitute for free weights, but I don't like that crap they show in their commercials about "this guy can bench this much with free weights and look how little he can lift on the crossbow!" You shouldn't base your decision on something like that.