The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar

Deadlift Training

Somewhere down the road I want to focus on training my deadlift. I currently deadlift once a week, but I'm looking to increase my max. I've had good results so far with my regular 4 day split, but I was thinking about doing a 4-8 week cycle that would be completely devoted to improving my deadlift. I've read a few articles and put together a routine (which could most likely use work), but I'd like some advice as to whether it would be satisfactory for what I'm looking for. The routine is as follows:

Monday:

Box Squat 3x4
    Leg Press 3x4
    Lying Leg Curl 3x4
    SLDL 3x4

Tuesday:

Trap Bar Shrugs 4x6
    Bentover Row 2x6
    Weighted Pullups 2x6
    Weighted Crunches 2x12

Thursday:

Good Morning 2x6
    Hyper Extension 2x6
    Reverse Hyper Extension 2x6

Friday:

Rack Pull At Knee Height 95% 3x1
    Rack Pull At Shin Height 90% 3x1
    Platform Deadlift 60% 2x6

Then after 4-8 weeks of doing this I would test my 1RM and hope I gained on it. I would like to do GHRs but theres nowhere to do them at my gym. I'm also not really looking to do Westside training as this is sort of a one shot deal for now. After this I plan on returning to my usual routine.

Thanks for any help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think it looks good. I'd say the only thing to replace are the lying leg curls. I don't think they are practical. I think Glute/Ham raises are a better bet.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

The rack pulls below the knee really worked well to increase my dead's. Just go as heavy as you can in the rack!
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    I think it looks good. I'd say the only thing to replace are the lying leg curls. I don't think they are practical. I think Glute/Ham raises are a better bet.
    I agree, I wish there was a place to to the GHRs at my gym. I just threw in Lying Leg curls as a warm up for my SLDLs.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG C
    The rack pulls below the knee really worked well to increase my dead's. Just go as heavy as you can in the rack!
    Right on, I read that you could pull more at knee height than your 1RM, I figured I'd try it at 95% and see how that goes and maybe I can move up from there. I've never tried rack pulls before.
    Last edited by wibble; 06-06-2004 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wibble
    Right on, I read that you could pull more at knee height than your 1RM, I figured I'd try it at 95% and see how that goes and maybe I can move up from there. I've never tried rack pulls before.
    It just matters where your strong/weak in the deadlift.
    Also it matters if you keep your usual deadlift form or change your form so you can use more weight.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    It just matters where your strong/weak in the deadlift.
    Also it matters if you keep your usual deadlift form or change your form so you can use more weight.
    I'm not exactly sure where I'm weak yet as I have yet to miss a pull. The last time I maxed I struggled getting up to the lockout but my grip was also a bit off making the lift harder anyway. I figured I could just get stronger off the floor and in the lockout by doing Rack Pulls and Platform Pulls. Also I plan on keeping with my usual conventional form because thats what I've always done and its what I'm comfortable with. I don't want to move to sumo for the sake of lifting more.

wibble, try using a lat pulldown station for your GHR's. If you can find one with a seat wide enough, it will be perfect. I had the same problem. My wife had mentioned the lat station trick and I went around the gym looking at all the stations to see which had the widest seat. Lucky for me, there is one that is wide enough and I've been using it ever since. The other cool thing you can do with the lat station is do assisted GHR's by grabbing onto a lat bar and using weight stack.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Thanks for the tip Max-Mex, I'll give it a look the next time I'm over. I know the seat is pretty narrow but I'm not a big guy anyway so it might work...I'm not sure. But now that I think of it, I might be able to do them where I would do Hyper Extensions. The hyper extension station pictured on exrx.net is on an incline whereas the one at my gym is straight out. I'll check out both places the next time I'm over there and see if I can get a spot.

Anyone else have anything to add or am I good to go with this routine? I might start it next month maybe. Or maybe Monday. I have no idea.

Footballer
    You don't have any bicep,triceps or shoulder work, I know it's a deadlift exercise but you should atleast work these directly with atleast a couple sets.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Yeah, I've actually revamped my routine and added Chest, Shoulder and Tricep work. I'm not too worried about not having any direct bicep work. This makes my routine a 6 day split. I'll add GHRs if I find out they can be done at my gym.
    Attached Files Attached Files