The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bicep pain after Barbell Bench press

Anyone ever had this happen? I was maxing out a while back and hurt my rotator cuff a little. Then later on my bicep began to hurt (when I flexed my arm, small pain in the bicep). Now when I do heavy bicep work, I get a sharp pain. If it continues, I'll take a break, but I'm totally baffled as to how this happened.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Either tendonitis, or a problem with your RC.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Or a small muscle tear.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I think it's the RC and somehow it's affected my bicep. Not sure how that is happening but today I benched, RC acted up, and now it hurts a little to flex my arm. Really bizzare. Time to get the ice out.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Where speciffically is the pain in the rotator cuff? Its four seperate muscles so which movement hurts it the most when you are saying its acting up? (you mentioned benching but which part of the movement caused the pain)

There is no direct link between flexor muscles of the forearm (biceps etc) and the rotatorcuff/shoulder complex except that biceps brachii has two heads...the long head actually attaches to the top surface of the cavity in which your humerus (upper arm bone) fits into. The short head attaches to the coracoid process of the scapula. Im strugging to think of a mechanism of rotator cuff injury that would casue pain on flexion of the biceps and have the pain casued manifest in the biceps itself.

At the moment i would shoot for either:

you have damaged a rotator cuff muscle and some compensatory mechanism during the lift put undue stress on the biceps and tore that up a little too. But honestly...that "feels" wrong and a bit unlikely.

slightly more likely is that the rotator cuff injury has casued swelling that is pressing on the musculocutaneous nerve that supplies the biceps. Flexing the biceps hard tends to casue deltoid contraction and rotator cuff contraction to stabilize the shoulder as the biceps is used and if they all contract it will press on the nerve and just make it hurt again. Thats a pretty "out there" theory too...but plausable.

Tendonitis is also perfectly possible but you should have a palpable "hot" and very sore tendon...very obvious to the touch.

Rest would seem a cool plan and Ice as you are doing. Curious to know if this goes away fast.

Augs

I had the same thing happen. I ended up getting a cortz. shot in my upper bicep where it attached to the shoulder. It did nothing. All it did was stop the pain until the shot wore off.

I ended up benching closer in' (1st ring on a barbell) for about 3 months. Now my shoulder/ bicep pain is gone.

I am not sure it is exactly the same thing, but it hurt when I benched and curled heavy.

Good luck!!
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    Where speciffically is the pain in the rotator cuff? Its four seperate muscles so which movement hurts it the most when you are saying its acting up? (you mentioned benching but which part of the movement caused the pain)
    Benching, mostly concentric part of the lift. I generally have more shoulder stress because of the wide grip I use. Some other lifts seem to agitate the problem. Squats (rotation of the shoulder due to grip). Dips (machine,some rotation). No problems when doing back work at all or narrow/neutral grip pullups. Bicep only hurts when doing isolation work or flexing the arm w/o weight(strong flex, supinating the wrist doesn't seem to have any effect).

As far as the RC pain, side delt, in the middle. Sometimes sharp pain which can also send a pain down my arm (only upper arm). I'm sure it's RC but after I hurt it, my bicep started to hurt as well. Don't think it's tendonitis because I have no elbow pain. It's strictly upper arm, pain in the mid delt.

The only thing I find odd about the RC pain is I don't get any when doing shoulder work. However, when I do my db presses, getting the weight up can cause it to hurt some (rotating the arm/shoulder up to position the weight).

I guess It's time for me to rethink my grip width as far as benching goes. The pain was caused by that, and benching has been aggravating it. Not sure what to do about squats since this also aggravates the problem. Narrow or wide grip doesn't seem to help. I guess I need to stretch some. Could be flexibility issues.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 06-07-2004 at 07:25 PM.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I don't want to hijack the thread. But how exactly do you hurt your rotator cuff and where exactly is the muscle? I've heard of many people hurting their rotator cuff. I've been benching since I was a little brat in high school and I've never pulled anything benching. I don't want to jinx it... so are there precautions to take so that I don't hurt my rotator cuff?
    Last edited by debussy; 06-18-2004 at 08:44 PM.