The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

My Lower back is sore after benching..!

Hello, i am not new to this forum, i have been browsing around for quite a few months. I am 16, 5.10 and about 140pounds. Iv been lifting weights on and off for the past 4 months. 3 of those 4 months were really good. i worked hard, saw size gains and overall felt great. At the end of those 3 months though, my benching began to gave me some trouble. After i finished benching, my lower back would have a tense feeling. Is this normal? i heard lifting your legs onto the edge of the bench at an angle helps because it straightens your back, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Because of this i stopped benching and i want to start it again, without the pain.

Are there any warmups, exercises or stretches i can do to prevent this? or should i change my benching technique?

Thank you

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you arching your back whilst straining to push up the weight?

Wannabebig New Member
    Not at all, my back is completely leveled with the bench, and i never do what i know i cant handle. Does the positioning of where your legs are change anything?

If you work out at a gym you should try to get someone with half a brain to watch your form. If you cant do that maybe you could put a video up on here of your bench.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

A slight arch is not bad (powerlifters have some decent arches when lifting). Just make sure your butt isn't coming off the bench. I think that's where the problem comes.

My back has cramped up on me somtimes when benching(1 rm's). Mostly lats. Did some light stretching and this seemed to help.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

maybe touching your toes a few times will help
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits