The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Problem with triceps pushdown

Hey guys,

maybe you can help me with this...
    Triceps pushdowns are part of my bi/tri/abs day, and I've been struggling with them for some time now.
    What happens is the following:
    either I do them with perfect form but they're too easy.
    Or, if I add one plate, they get too tough and I have to sacrifice a lot of form...

Before this I had been progressing consistently... It seems I've hit some kind of ceiling. I'm guessing the problem comes from some muscle in the muscle chain that fails before the triceps and that therefore forces me to abandon perfect form... What are the ways around this? Switch exercises? Stay at the lower weight but try more reps to improve?

BTW, I'm having a very similar problem with lateral shoulder raises and front shoulder raises...

Thanks for your time

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

stay with the lower weight for your next workout, and just do maximum intensity, and overexaggerate the clenching at maximum contraction. i'm sure if you do that for one or two workouts you'll be prepped to do the next higher weight in the following workout. as far as lateral raises, i have that same problem. it sux because you're probably using somewhere in the range of 20 - 40 lbs on the machine depending on strength / machine being used, so adding a plate is like adding between 25-50% weight to the lift! i guess the solution here would be to utilize those little plates that attach to the bar the plates run along, the kind that sit on top of the plates. don't know what they're called. i think they're 2.5 lbs or 5, which should really help in both of your problems now that i think about it. maybe i should listen to some of my own advice, because i hate that when i do lateral or forward shoulder raises. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael
    I'm guessing the problem comes from some muscle in the muscle chain that fails before the triceps and that therefore forces me to abandon perfect form... What are the ways around this? Switch exercises? Stay at the lower weight but try more reps to improve?
    There is no muscle that is failing other than the triceps. That's it.

What are the rep counts between the 2 weights?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

add a free weight of 1.5/2.5 KG in the handle that holds it.
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

There is no rule that says you must do pushdowns. Try a different movement. Try a good compound movement dips or something similar.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I may indeed opt for a new exercise, like dips...
    Max-Mex: if u mean how many reps I can do with both weights, I'd say 9 for the lighter one and 5 or 6 for the heavier one (having to sacrifice form from the beginning though).