The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445

    My latest addiction- texas hold 'em poker

    u guys hooked on this thanks to the tv show?
    I play it on pogo.com which is part of the EA sports gaming website...
    fun as hell...granted its little java applet so I can't play at work...but when I get home...LOOK OUT!

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    is numero uno Saint Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    6,557
    I'm hooked on watching the world series of poker on TV.
    Age:30
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough
    ______________________

    “Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

  4. #3
    Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,202
    I'm hooked on the game, play it at Pacific Poker. I had 17,000 bucks in fake money, but I'm at 9,000+ I been having bad luck. I even read some of the tips, and they didn't help me much.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

  5. #4
    System's BiAtch! _8_Ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    Unfortunetly, playing online is nothing like playing face to face...

    In Texas Hold'em you don't play the cards, you play the man... having the cards has little to do with the game.

    I love it...

    _8_

  6. #5
    Ash "Money" Hegde Y2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    4,789
    Im not a gambler, but hold em is a really fun game to play. 8 ball is right, its all about the people, thats why the same people consistently do well at the world series.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

    Dontate to my favorite charity!

  7. #6
    putting in work Roark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,441
    i play sometimes on www.ultimatebet.com

    you set up an account through netteller to indirectly fund your account there and you're playing for real cash from the comfort of your home

    my problem is, i do well, then i have a few beers while i'm playing and get a bit too ballsy with my bets

    it's fun though

  8. #7
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    In my limited experience...
    I could be wrong, but there must be statistical advantages u can play (odds if you will)

    say you get delt a face/number combo, opt to stay in (as do 5 other competitors) and the flop shows 3 unsuited low number cards lower than ur number card. in that case ur odds would be better than if the flop had shown 3 face cards, two being suited, two being matched.

    This is also a numbers game...
    I've tried making a spreadsheet to track the ebb/flow of the numbers/odds, but its very complicated.
    I think my next move is to makeup a random number generator game that will give me the odds of staying in and when.
    I'm a number freak I can't help it.

    IMHO this game is no different from taking black jack and removing the dealer so ur playing against a field of 6...IMHO its 50% a number game when you consider what % of contestants that stay in win on a good hand vs a bluff.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 06-08-2004 at 07:51 AM.

  9. #8
    Grasshoppa
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cerritos, CA
    Posts
    1,670
    Of course there are statistical advantages, but the bread and butter of the game is looking the guy in the face and bluffing on him, or vice versa. Numbers will take you so far, after that you need to read people.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,521
    I love poker, play holdem all the time.

    Online as well, I'm making some good money.

    Please no one spoil it and tell us/me who won this year's world series of poker.

    Thanks!

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    408
    Yeah, nine of us play every friday night for 20 euro a head. One winner. Not a bad start to the weekend when you win 160 Euro. Also the worst you can do is lose 20 and u get a greats night enteratinment to go with.

    Play it online too but find its a lot harder to read other players online and also people tend to call with anything. Sometimes players online or so bad it makes them very difficult to paly against.

    Nothing better than winning a big pot with absolutely nothing

  12. #11
    One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T dot
    Posts
    2,295
    Statistical analysis will make you a decent to good player. The ability to read/mislead a player is what makes a great player.
    texas hold'em is not like blackjack when you look it at a statistically. Black jack is a finite set which can be calculated and measured. That is why casinos hate it so much. Poker introduces betting strategy into the game which is a much more qualitative feature. This is further complicated by blinds which force action. I have played a some Texas before and by no means am a good player but I do understand some of the underlying strategy in it. Great game, but don't play to win money at it. Because most of the time you are just dead money (if you play at casinos that is).
    w00t

  13. #12
    Simplistic
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    In my limited experience...
    I could be wrong, but there must be statistical advantages u can play (odds if you will)

    say you get delt a face/number combo, opt to stay in (as do 5 other competitors) and the flop shows 3 unsuited low number cards lower than ur number card. in that case ur odds would be better than if the flop had shown 3 face cards, two being suited, two being matched.

    This is also a numbers game...
    I've tried making a spreadsheet to track the ebb/flow of the numbers/odds, but its very complicated.
    I think my next move is to makeup a random number generator game that will give me the odds of staying in and when.
    I'm a number freak I can't help it.

    IMHO this game is no different from taking black jack and removing the dealer so ur playing against a field of 6...IMHO its 50% a number game when you consider what % of contestants that stay in win on a good hand vs a bluff.
    Here is an odds calculator.

    http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_odds...5d83e8e9c10ac#

  14. #13
    Senior Member Darcy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    1,845
    I play all the time at my casino. I know Avatar is really into it too.

  15. #14
    Define Your Soul SoulOfKoRea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    1,546
    play with friends every once in a while when we have time to sit down and gamble, love to watch it as well - 2004 WSOP starts next month!
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

  16. #15
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Thanks neil!
    unfortunately that odds calculator requires the input of every card on the table...so you already know the results...which isn't very helpful to use while playing online.

    A real time odds calculator that took into account the 2 cards in ur hand + number of competitors, if ur using wildcards, the flop cards, and over the river and through the woods or whatever the next 3 cards are called *LOL*
    and gave you an indication of if it would be a good idea to stay in, bail or raise.

    I'm mystified as I play the game how poorly people bet...its almost as though they have no idea how to play odds and bet accordingly.
    Works in my favor so I'm not complaining...one of these nights I'll get the courage to play for some money online...right now on pogo I'm just playing for tokens (imaginary money) which is fun and all....and so far so good...I've yet to finish a nights playing with less than I started with.

  17. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by excokehead
    i play sometimes on www.ultimatebet.com

    you set up an account through netteller to indirectly fund your account there and you're playing for real cash from the comfort of your home

    my problem is, i do well, then i have a few beers while i'm playing and get a bit too ballsy with my bets

    it's fun though

    I play on absolutepoker.com

  18. #17
    Simplistic
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    Thanks neil!
    unfortunately that odds calculator requires the input of every card on the table...so you already know the results...which isn't very helpful to use while playing online.

    A real time odds calculator that took into account the 2 cards in ur hand + number of competitors, if ur using wildcards, the flop cards, and over the river and through the woods or whatever the next 3 cards are called *LOL*
    and gave you an indication of if it would be a good idea to stay in, bail or raise.

    I'm mystified as I play the game how poorly people bet...its almost as though they have no idea how to play odds and bet accordingly.
    Works in my favor so I'm not complaining...one of these nights I'll get the courage to play for some money online...right now on pogo I'm just playing for tokens (imaginary money) which is fun and all....and so far so good...I've yet to finish a nights playing with less than I started with.

    Well I'll usually "put" someone on a hand as opposed to being able to see it. Most of the odds that are important are easy to memorize. The odds calculator is something I go to if I get a bad beat, just to see how bad I got screwed. If you really get into it then David Slansky has written some great books on it, I highly recommend them.

  19. #18
    Proud Father Maki Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    5,323
    Me and some guys got together and had a game. I was the first one out. I suck.
    Maki Fit Blog

    At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

    "Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

    "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

    "Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

  20. #19
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025
    I play a bunch with friends and am a poker nerd just like I'm a fitness nerd. I've read most of the decent sites online and have read Super System (Doyle Brunson) and glanced over Poker for Advanced Players.

    I suppose at first it seems like there is not much skill involved and after that you start understanding odds, % of winning, etc and it seems a little bit more skillful, but when you understand how to consistantly beat tight, but agressive players you realize there is a good bit of strategy in the game (though unfortunately there is also a fair amount of luck as 2-7 will beat AA 1 time out of 7).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •