Thread: butt position in deadlift?

Threaded View

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar

butt position in deadlift?

i've been going back into (conventional) deads after 6 months after not doing them b/c of back injury, and i raelized that slightly diff form can make my lower back hurt. the problem occurs (pain) usually when i lower the weight, b/c i guess its hard to lower the weight w/o hitting my quads, since ii do the deads like a squat, and i start to slouch over so that it doesn't hit my quads. the way i do my deads is like a squat position, and on teh down position, the barbell is right next to my shins

so... how do u guys perform ur deads? some ppl say do it like squats (quads parallel to floor on down position), but i have a hard time lowering the weight to the floor if i do it like this. do u guys hit the floor at the end of each rep? my gym doesn't have the rubber padded deads, which are slightly larger in diameter than the 45s, and it'll make a lot of noise if i hit the floor for each rep.

the other way that i did deads was the sumo squat, where the legs are farther apart. in this case, the butt isn't as low (not like a squat). i did this w/o much pain, but i didn't think it worked my lats enough

i dunno if this is common, but i think my problem isn't LIFTING the barbell, but its hard to LOWER the weight back to the floor! i can get heavy weight off the floor w/ good form doing the squat-like dead, but its hard to put it back w/o slouching over.

btw, forgive me for askign this dumb q, cuz i haven't been online in this forum in a while, but: do u guys have any execution vids in these forums or the other wbb.com?
    Last edited by Podium Kreatin; 06-08-2004 at 11:13 AM.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000