The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

I dont get the whole "bulking" and "cutting" thing at all..

i'm not trying to be a big contest bodybuilder, i just want a 6 pack. my plan was to just keep doing ab crunches and lose weight (by cutting down on food) at the same time. but the whole bulking/cutting stuff you guys talk about confuses me. i already have a bit of a belly that sticks out, am i still suppose to eat alot (i'm guessing eating alot is bulking?) and then lose weight to get the 6pack definition later on after i have the ab's in shape?

do u eat the same foods when you're bulking and cutting? the only food lists i've found on here, dont say if the foods are to gain weight or to lose weight. i dont see how you guys remember what is what.
    5'11 1/2
    160 lbs

pretty much thin but i'm trying to loose a "beer belly" (mines not really from beer.. just using that phrase to give an example)... i think i need to lose my stomach fat before (or at the same time) i work real hard on getting a 6 pack.
    ^^^PM me if you have any advice!~!!! I'm currently doing push up's and ab crunches till I get exhausted every day.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

mmm... discipline
    The list of foods on this site are actually ideal foods for bulking and cutting, generally. Bulking is for gaining muscle mass (eating more), and cutting is for losing fat (eating less). You have a six pack, its just beneath fat. To see it, you have to lose the fat by cutting some calories. Sit ups and crunches help build up the ab muscles. So those are good to. You should check out the forums more and become familiar with all the stuff in them. Consider working out your whole body.

mmm... discipline

Banned
    At your height and weight don't worry about getting a six-pack right away. You need some mass on you, and losing weight (even if it's fat) is not really going to help the situation.

Wannabebig Member
    ^yeah I bookmarked that.

I guess i'm just mentally slow a bit. but um.. i got a gut, i'd say it sticks out like 3 inches than it should. since i have that gut, i dont need to do the bulking correct? just eat less and eat right while i'm doing the ab crunches. is it bad to starve yourself sometimes? cuz i get hungry alot and i plan on drinking alot of water to get rid of the hunger pains.
    5'11 1/2
    160 lbs

pretty much thin but i'm trying to loose a "beer belly" (mines not really from beer.. just using that phrase to give an example)... i think i need to lose my stomach fat before (or at the same time) i work real hard on getting a 6 pack.
    ^^^PM me if you have any advice!~!!! I'm currently doing push up's and ab crunches till I get exhausted every day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LastTemptation
    ^yeah I bookmarked that.

I guess i'm just mentally slow a bit. but um.. i got a gut, i'd say it sticks out like 3 inches than it should. since i have that gut, i dont need to do the bulking correct? just eat less and eat right while i'm doing the ab crunches. is it bad to starve yourself sometimes? cuz i get hungry alot and i plan on drinking alot of water to get rid of the hunger pains.
    You have a lot of reading to do. These forums are an excellent way to increase your knowledge.

I don't even know where to start, but I'll try:

1) I have no idea what you look like, but I can say with 100% certainty you are too skinny to cut. I understand you want a six-pack, but it only looks good on a body that has some muscle. Otherwise, you just look like a starving little kid.

2) I don't know if you're working out other body parts or just doing abs, but if you aren't already, start now.

3) You already have a six-pack, it's just hiding under fat. You don't even need to work your abs directly, although it can't hurt. Hundreds of crunches won't do anything though. Throw some weight on your chest and do less reps.

4) If you WERE to cut (which I strongly recommend against), starving yourself is never a good idea. All that does is shut your metabolism down completely and make it even harder to lose the fat.

mmm... discipline
    Quote Originally Posted by LastTemptation
    ^yeah I bookmarked that.

You know more than you think If you only want to be more fit and lose the gut, try eating around 2800 calories and doing cardio workouts and ab work. Listen to Vido though, muscle mass is good

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan936
    You know more than you think If you only want to be more fit and lose the gut, try eating around 2800 calories and doing cardio workouts and ab work. Listen to Vido though, muscle mass is good
    Where did you come up with 2800 calories? That may or may not be a good number, but it seems totally out of the blue.

mmm... discipline
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Where did you come up with 2800 calories? That may or may not be a good number, but it seems totally out of the blue.
    You're right, it was way too out of the blue (I roughly calculated 20 calories per pound of bodyweight minus the calories for losing the fat). He said he wants to simply loose his gut, not gain muscle. I agree though, he should probably add some lean body mass instead. In any case, you know more than I do Vido

skinny white boy
    What's with everyone telling him what HIS goals are?

The guy wants a six pack, he doesn't want to gain mass. He has a stomach, he wants to get rid of it. Nowhere in these goals is bulking involved.

LastTemptation:

Whether or not your trying to gain mass, lifting is a vital part of any exercise program. Keep your calories slightly (500-1000, depending on how much muscle you're willing to lose) below maintance, lift, and throw in some cardio, IMO, only after you stop losing fat with just dieting alone.

Abs = 99% diet, 1% training (yes I made that stat up, but its accurate). Everyone has abs, they are just covered by that 3" of fat that is sticking out. Training them can make them more easily visible, though. Abs should be trained with resistance, they are comprised of type I and II muscle fibers like anything else, and progressive resistance is what develops them. Weighted crunches for 3 sets of 8-15 reps will be perfect.

As far as weight training goes, I would recommend a full body routine done 2x a week focused on compound exericeses.

Something that would work excellent would be:

Squat/Deadlift (pick one)-3x6-10
    Bench press-3x6-10
    Chin-3x6-10
    Dip-3x6-10
    BB row or DB row (or any horizontal pull)-3x6-10
    Shoulder press-2x6-10
    Curl (pick one)-2x6-10
    Skulls-2x6-10
    Calf Raise-2x8-15
    Weighted Crunch-2x8-15

Wait 4-5 days or so, and repeat. Try to add weight or reps each week. Don't worry about it if you don't, as you're trying to get smaller, not bigger. Your strength should not decrease though. And with your experience level is will almost certaintly increase in spite of dieting.

Cardio is best done as interval training, or HIIT. Do a quick search, tons of info on these forums.

Take your vitamins, drink water. And you'll be all good. Give it about 2-3 months.
    Last edited by ace dogg; 06-09-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ace dogg
    What's with everyone telling him what HIS goals are?

The guy wants a six pack, he doesn't want to gain mass. He has a stomach, he wants to get rid of it. Nowhere in these goals is bulking involved.
    Cool your jets man, just trying to help the guy out. Lots of people who are new to lifting are under false impressions, such as a six-pack will make you look really good, when in reality a six-pack only looks good if the rest of the package matches it. If his goals are strictly to get a six-pack, without really looking that good, then he can do what he wants. I'm just presuming he wants to look good like 99.999% of us do.

I think they were trying to help him get to his goal. Adding muscle will help him lose fat. Simple as that.

skinny white boy
    Bulking is not going to help anyone lose fat. The guy wants a six pack, he's not a bodybuilder, simply losing fat is the way to reach his goal.

Banned
    Bulking is not going to help anyone lose fat. The guy wants a six pack, he's not a bodybuilder, simply losing fat is the way to reach his goal.
    I don't know what you consider bulking, but gaining muscle will help him lose fat eventually by boosting his metabolism, with the side effect that he will also look better in the process.

skinny white boy
    I agree that he would most likely look better with more muscle. But, dude, he doesn't want more muscle. He wants a 6 pack, nothing else. He will end up looking like an ethiopian, but judging by his posts, that's the look he wants.

I have to disagree with that but for perhaps slightly different reasons than the obvious. Whilst I agree that "bulking" is not going to directly lead to his goal of a six pack...bulking will gain him an awful lot of muscle across most of the major muscle groups in his body. Abs included.

Muscle requires far more energy for the body to maintain than fat and so people with larger proportions of muscle find cutting very much easier to do than people who have very little LBM.

When small/thin people, with low LBM but higher bodyfat (14-18%) try to cut to a six pack they end up in a world of hurt. It ends up just diet diet diet, no muscle bulk to help burn calories with and an endless stream of cardio. Its demoralizing and that alone may become the reason you dont get the pack.

So your statement regarding bulking not helping anyone lose fat is flawed. In the short term you are right. Bulking will casue a small fat increase as LBM is layed down thus going in the opposite direction of your goal. However once a reasonable mass has been laid down cutting will be much easier due to a raised metabilic rate from muscle mass, and you have the buffer of being able to shed some muscle to speed up the cutting process if needed. You dont build walls from halfway up...you need to put down a foundation first. Not to mention, for newbies often the act of buling results in simaltaneous fat loss becasue they are in the enviable position of never having gained muscle and never having lost fat before and the body loves surprises.

Augs

Banned
    I agree that he would most likely look better with more muscle. But, dude, he doesn't want more muscle. He wants a 6 pack, nothing else. He will end up looking like an ethiopian, but judging by his posts, that's the look he wants.
    But once he realizes he looks like an Ethiopian his goals will change again...I'm just trying to save him some time.

But once he realizes he looks like an Ethiopian his goals will change again...I'm just trying to save him some time.
    teehee.

mmm... discipline
    OK. LastTemptation, think about it... What EXACTLY do YOU want?

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I guess i'm just mentally slow a bit.
    Cut that **** out, now.

You're new to bodybuilding and such, so don't worry. You think we all woke up one day with the knowledge of the ancients implanted in our minds? A lot of bodybuilders (most...if not all) learn everything the hard way. If you're struggling, its a sign that you need to up your knowledge of the body and physiology. This aint rocket science, but really, nothing is. Save for rocket science. And who the hell does that anyways? I bet rocket science is pretty easy if you know the math.

Um...yeah. Keep reading, dude.

Eat more.

heres the thing... I know a lot of people say you can't cut and bulk at the same time... this is true but you can sort of "level off" your body. You can lose bodyfat while putting on muscle. It's not the best long term plan but if you go in, lift weghts, burn calories, then you're body will respond (especially if you're a newbie).

Quote Originally Posted by Budiak
    Cut that **** out, now. You're new to bodybuilding and such, so don't worry. You think we all woke up one day with the knowledge of the ancients implanted in our minds?

This aint rocket science, but really, nothing is. Save for rocket science. And who the hell does that anyways? I bet rocket science is pretty easy if you know the math.
    Eat and read. Wise words Oh and dont forget to weight train! As a newb you get the totally cool NewbieGains TM. You get to gain muscle, whilst losing bodyfat whilst doing a routine that makes little or no sense whilst eating virtually anything. However, NewbieGains TM only lasts so long and then you have to start tightening things up as your body adapts to what you are doing and tries to stop you.

Use the NewbieGains TM joy to learn about whats going to happen to you when they stop and how to plan up a good routine, diet and cardio regimen to keep those NewbieGains TM rolling into OldHackHargottenGains TM. A six pack on a nice muscular body is going to be lots more appealing than a six pack on an emaciated, stringy body of leanness.

Enough blathering from me.

skinny white boy
    lol true, but some people do like the look. Weird people, but whatever makes you most comfortable. I would not feel comfortable being very big (been about 185, felt like ****...very small build), I like to be relatively small. Look and feel the best around 170.

My point being is that you guys are giving him advice that is directly counter productive to his goals. Yes, he would metabolically be better off with more muscle on him, and he'd be able to eat more while still maintaining his six pack. But all the guy wants is a 6 pack right now, lift, and eat a little below maintance...when he sees his skinny twig body is the mirror, with his starvin marvin pack of abs, he'll be here asking how to get bigger. Then we can all tell him to lift and eat a lot.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I'm exercising my arms too. i want a Nick Lachey/Markey Mark look. Big arms, 6pack, tan. I dont use a gym, i only got a weight lifting bench and push-up's for my arms, and sit-up's for my 6pack. I need to find some info on how to exercise good without equipment..
    5'11 1/2
    160 lbs

skinny white boy
    Bulk.