Thread: Heavy lifting and the heart.

Heavy lifting and the heart.

Someone has mentioned that heavy lifting:

1. raises blood pressure to dangerous levels
    2. has the long term effect of thickening the heart's walls which is not good

I find it hard to believe and my rebuttle would be

1. momentary high bp is fine for a healthy heart, maybe not so for a heart patient
    2. show me evidence!

Anyhow, has anyone encountered this position before and more importantly, does anyone have any rebuttle evidence?

3:16

Re: Heavy lifting and the heart.

Originally posted by hemants
    Someone has mentioned that heavy lifting:

1. raises blood pressure to dangerous levels

I find it hard to believe and my rebuttle would be

1. momentary high bp is fine for a healthy heart, maybe not so for a heart patient

?
    Your chance of a heart attack increase over your normal level. however your over all chance of a heart attack to a non-trianing individual is greatly reduced.

some exercises will be wrose than other. eg leg press, squats where quite a few of us burst our calpilleries when training hard.
    but as a result my over all chance of CVD is reduced than if I did not trian.

I have seen this covered in a couple of text books. but can't remember what they are to reference them.

the people who are more at risk are people with underlying heart conditions, or obese people. My chance of CVD at my age even if i did not trian are very low anyway.

The biggest killer in sport(UK) is ment to be squash. as many 40 year old plus(have not trianed in 20 years and had to many beer and cigs), think they can get fit by playing squash, but play to hard and get a heart attack.

in a gym i used to trian some old person collopsed. i was not in the gym at the time though.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

gym

in a gym i used to trian some old person collopsed. i was not in the gym at the time though
    which gym