Thread: School Bench Record Attempt

School Bench Record Attempt

Hey Guys,

The time has come for me to attempt a school bench press record, coming up this Monday. Do you guys have any tips both physically, and emotional tips before I do this bench (I have 4 days).

Our record is a bit different. We have to do it on a smith machine, and it only has to touch our chest (no pause, and no keeping butt on the bench). What can you guys recommend for me?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I should note that I usually work out using free weights, so I will be making a transition from free weights to smith just for this bench, what can I do to make this as smoothly as possible?

I would make sure to get at least a few sets with the Smith machine in today. This will allow some acclimation to the exercise. Be careful as to not overdo matters. Just use a weight you can handle readily for 2-3 reps for a couple of sets. It should be EASY weight. You don't want to get sore etc.

Neollagnailati
    So you can lift your butt off the bench, or you have to? If its an option, are you planning on doing it? Sounds exciting, good luck.

Thanks guys,

ItalianGalleon - I'm allowed to lift my butt off the bench, however, I do not plan too unless I know it will help me lift more (becaues I usually bench with good form, I don't plan on breaking that, unless it will help me with my max).

Chris Mason - Thanks for the advice, as a matter of fact, I did get in a couple sets with the smith machine. I was just experimenting with grips with 90lbs on, then I tried 180, then I tried 230. I didn't max out on it today, I just wanted to get a feel for it. Its been a few months since I've even touched a smith machine, I'm definitley not used to it. 230 felt a lot harder on the smith machine, than say 235 on free weights.

Also, psychologically I don't think I'm really prepared for this, as I keep psyching myself out with things such as (that's a bitch load of weight, its gonna crush you, etc.). What should I do to prevent this (i've got a bad habit of psyching myself out with anything over 200lbs, just because a couple months ago, I couldn't even push this weight)?

whats the record? is just for a wt. class?
    Smith should be easier, maybe a vvverry slight bounce on the bottom and let your butt come up a little, in other words cheat lol. guys use to do this in school and add 30 pds or more , good luck,
    don't worry about the psych just go for a pr

no the school record isn't measured in weights. Its measured in percentages, how much percent of your bodyweight you can bench. Right now its at about 157, so I will be benching about 160% my body weight to break it.

thats dumb to put it in percentages,
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

thats weird that it was harder, maybe you were doing something wrong.. smith is a ton easier for me and everyone I've ever trained with (you don't have to involve stabilizers much). I mean I can bench 275 once with all my might on free weight but on smith I can do 300 and its not that bad...

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

I didn't make up the rules, I got to follow them to get the record though.

Anyways, I'm not exactly sure how my breathing should be for a max attempt, so far this is what I've been doing with maxes:
    - Unrack weight
    - Inhale
    - Hold breath and bench press
    - Exhale before re-racking

I'm also not so sure about what speed to use, because usually I've been doing them realy slow and controlled, but would it be better if I sped that up a bit?

I think you are over analyzing this. It's a smith machine bench press, not rocket surgery. Just go and lift, you don't really have much time to learn anything that you'll apply in 4 days. Having said that, there are some good tips in this article: http://www.criticalbench.com/benchpress-secrets.htm
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-10-2004 at 06:54 PM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

skinny white boy
    You should have posted this about 2 months ago...

Like Anthony said, at this point just go and do it. Make it as easy as possible for yourself, and focus on exploding the weight up.

Anthony, thanks for the tip and site, I just gave that a good read. I wasn't exactly trying to learn "proper form", or anything like that. I'm curious to see what kind of cheats are there that exist, because the rules are not as strict for me. For example, I can take my butt off the bench if I want too, and there is no pause, just a touch-and-go.

Ace_dogg, I was no where near where I am today 2 months ago, in fact, in 2 months I've made rapid gains of about 50lbs in my bench, so back then the record was out of sight. Again, thank you for the tip, I just gotta stay focus like you said!

i advise breathing the whole time so you don't cut off oxygen to muscles. i'm a firm believer that without plenty of air when maxing out, you're selling yourself short. it's always worked for me.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

As far as breathing goes, I think you should inhale as you lift the weight and hold it in until you hit your sticky point and then exhale fast and push threw it.

I think that the hardest part about benching on a smith is that it forces you to stay in a straight line the whole time and sometimes causes friction if you don't.

i did the calculation and 160% of your bw really isnt that bad...i weigh 175...and putting up 280 on the smith doesn't seem unreasonable to any extent....plus the fact that you can cheat..heh i wish i could have had this in my hs...game over...

one thing to remember is where u lay beneath the smith....since you cant adjust the bar when you go down practice a lot before and remember where you need to be on the bench to be as comfortable as possible while benching
    Last edited by emjlr3; 06-17-2004 at 07:04 AM.