The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is this an ok way of increasing the weight??

When begining a new weight do as many reps as you can possible 3 or 4 on both 1st and 2nd set. The following weight increase reps to 5 or 6 reps on the first set and do as many as you can for 2nd set. Third week hit 8 reps first set and increase the weight by 2.5kg and try to hit 6 reps on heavier week on second set . 4th week hit 8 reps on heavier weight and on second set increase by 2.5 and try to hit 3 reps or more.

Thanks if not id like to hear your workout increasing ideas.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I'm having a tough time following that.

Simply put, if you can hit the upper end of a rep range with one weight, add a bit more the following week. When you again hit the upper end of the desired rep range, add more weight. Continue that process until you switch routines.

have a headache and can't follow either lol it's ok. what Vido said is a foolproof way. in fact, it's about the only way i can think of right now. just add a few more lbs on every coupla weeks and u'll definitely make gains. nothin' fancy today
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

do i have to hit the upper rep range in boths sets b4 increasing the weight or only in the first set?

I see what you are getting at now nickel. I think the fair answer there is yes, but its really down to your preference. An example with numbers plucked out the air:

You might bench 150 for 2 sets of 6 reps in week 1
    Week 2 you manage 150 for 8 reps in first set and 6 in second
    Week 3 you manage 9 reps at 150 in first set and 8 in second set.
    Week 4 change up the weight and shoot for 2 sets of 6.

is that making sense? You could call the change up of weight at anytime...when you first hit 8 reps...when both sets hit 8....its up to you. I am anal and so i personally would wait till i was able to do all sets at the working weight then change up. YMMV

Augs

Banned
    I agree with Augury, it's up to you. If you can only hit the desired rep target on the first set another option would be to increase the weight on the first set only and then drop back down for the second set. Then, once you can hit the desired number of reps on the second set you can increase that as well.

I'm not sure if I'm out to lunch, but I just fly by the seat of my pants... I look at what weight/reps I did on the exercise last time and either stay at the same weight or go up- if I remain at the same weight I try to push out more reps; if I go up in weight I just push as hard as I can for as many reps as I can. For me, whatever weight I grab I want to push as many reps out as I can on every set... so it's never an issue of how many reps I'm "aiming" for or whatnot, I just push til I can't push no more. I can't see a disadvantage in doing it this way, and it's just simpler for me.