The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Core strenghtening

i have decided in the ligth of my recent back injury that i need to focus more on core strength. i will continue to give great attention to my whole body but i need to strengthen my core and icrease my flexibility. anyone got some good suggestions on core movents. i have some i'll try but i like people's input. i have'nt come up with my new routine yet, i will work on that tomorrow. thanks in advance guys and gals.
    This is our current government keeping the peace.

vote Edwards for president

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    I had a back operation 3 years ago (T6-T7) and was put in charge of my own re-hab. What I did was the standard weight training but made sure that I kept the trunk tense and the pelvic girdle tucked under during each exercise. My core strength is now excellent. Most people do not think of stablizing the trunk during say...seated bicep curls, but it really does make a difference. Keep us posted.

Wannabebig Member
    Core strength? DEADS-SQUATS!!! Once you have allowed your back to heal start doing deads and squats, work on ab work and after warming up stretch for flexibility.
    I started lifting to help a bad back. I am a heavy equipment operator and my lower back takes a beating. It used to be a constant problem, not no more.
    Can't never did nothin( dedicated to my father)

Well..theres Deads, Squats, Military Press (behind neck), Bench Press. Perhaps some barbell curls as well.... those are fun and a good mass builder. Keep us up to date bro.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Originally posted by xraygirl
    ... but made sure that I kept the trunk tense and the pelvic girdle tucked under during each exercise.
    Good to hear that you've come back after surgery. Must have been pretty severe to require it. I would caution others to not take your method of tucking your pelvis "under" to mean rounding your back while doing heavy lifts like squats or deads. Not knowing what your particular situation is, in general it's generally better to maintain a general lordotic curve (generally, stick your butt out), generally.

Have you ever tried good mornings? Those are great for lower back.

I would suggest deads; they are a great core exercise. As well as weighted ab work.

i like low back extensions and abwork myself. aside from the usual compounds.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

do some side bends, leg raises, hypers, standing ab work on latpull.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    For your lower back you could perform:

Stiff legged deadlifts
    Goodmornings
    Back hyper-extentions on the roman chair

For abs:
    Hanging knee lifts
    Any crunch machine
    Incline crunches
    Cable crunches

For Obliques:
    Side twists w/broom handle or light bar
    Side crunches
    Side cable crunches

I think it's pointless to do high rep sets(30 or more) for these exercises. The point is to strengthen the muscle. All you need is 6 sets x 10-15 reps, two to three times a week for each muscle group. Of course you should familiarize yourself with the exercise first before attempting heavier weight. I also think it's great that people see the importance of training thier core.

thanks for the input and i'll keep yas updated.

as for the goodmornings, well i was doing those when i hurt my back, lol, it was as careless thing on my part. my footing did'nt feel right and the weight came off balanced but i continued on trying to fix it as i went, the end result a lot of pain, and a week and a half of no work. i go back this week and will go to the gym tomorrow too. i'm not 100% yet but i gotta get back to work and excercising, both are catchin up to me.

PR blaster!
    Charger couldn't have said it better. Squats and deadlifts. These two exercises work almost all core muscles. Lots of people here are saying stuff about ab and erector work, which is good, but let's not forget glutes, hips, even quads. Squat and deadlifts!! Use perfect form, start off with low weight.

Wannabebig Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by pumpuup
    [B]For your lower back you could perform:

Stiff legged deadlifts
    Goodmornings
    Back hyper-extentions on the roman chair

Stiff legged deads??? Hams would be the primary muscle hit here, lower back would be secondary. Do reguler deads.

Some people would argue that legs are mainly hit in conventional deads and back is second.

Wannabebig Member
    ****Charger****

Stiff legged deads??? Hams would be the primary muscle hit here, lower back would be secondary. Do reguler deads.

???????????????

I'm no kinesiologist but your back is at more of a mechanical advantage in the regular deadlift. The bar is held as close as possible to the shins making it easier to lift. In the Stiff-legged deadlift, the bar at the bottom position is away from your shins the length of your torso. Try doing SLDL with the same weight you do normal deadlifts.

I love deadlifts but facts are facts.

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    I would caution others to not take your method of tucking your pelvis "under" to mean rounding your back while doing heavy lifts like squats or deads
    I only tuck it under enough to keep the pelvis stable. I have a slightly excessive lordotic curvature and this kind of neutralizes it.
    My T6-T7 disc space had a herniation that pressed on my spinal cord for 10 months before they realized I didn't have a muscle strain. The only exercises that I could do without pain during that time was Pilates so my core strength was very good when they rushed me into surgery. That's probably why I was up and walking with no problems 3 days after the operation. It was a character-building experience

Diana

Wannabebig Member
    I'm no kinesiologist but your back is at more of a mechanical advantage in the regular deadlift. The bar is held as close as possible to the shins making it easier to lift. In the Stiff-legged deadlift, the bar at the bottom position is away from your shins the length of your torso. Try doing SLDL with the same weight you do normal deadlifts.

I love deadlifts but facts are facts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Try doing SLDL with the same weight you do normal deadlifts? Why???
    Facts are facts, right? Well if performed correctly the day after doing SLDL my hams will be sore as hell. Now being the occasional bone head I can be I have also went for a new one rep max on reguler deads before and the next day it sure wasn't my legs that were sore.

Conventional deads hit my back, I don't even feel it in my hams usually. Occasionally my glutes will be sore afterwards.

SLDLs hit my hams and that's about it. Doesn't affect my lower back at all.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been teaching using the Swiss Ball for a while and for core strengh and toning I've seen some noticable differences with my class. I know they are ladies but often it is far harder to see a difference in this area with us girls! It's something you could do from home in addition to your workout, not expensive to get hold of and you can deflate and pack away if you are restricted to room. Give it a go, I think you will be surprised.

again thanks for the replies yall. i think this topic is far too overlooked as core stength greatly reduces the likelyhood of injuries.

update, my back is better and it's agrivated right now due to recent changes in weather. it was good til friday and it got humid, rained saturday and got cooler sunday and today. i went ahead and worked out. here is what i did and i even consulted with a trainer i trust and she was every concerned for me and i like her she's sweet.

bench press- 1 warmuo 3 work sets
    tbar rows(with the pad support)- 3 work sets
    abs crunches-4x25, slow and controled to feel it more.
    seated overhead press machine(for back support)- 2 work sets
    seated tricep dip machine(not the best excercise but back support was the reason and it get's the job done for now)-2 work sets.

as you see i'm not big on high volume and i need to lower my reps and up the weights on some movements as i am a low rep person. i do better with low reps and heavier weight. my diet is back on track now, i've been eating like crap since the injury but at least i kept my strength. tomorrow i'll get up earlier and go walking for half an hour, good cardio and walking is good for the back too, before i go to class. my boss only put me down for 3 days this week, not good but i guess she's being safe(gotta love her) and i hope next week i'll get 4 days. i'd like 5 but we are not that busy right now. maybe i'll take up a second job, really part time, like 2 days a week helping a friend of mind put up white wall, but not before my back is back where it needs to be.

as for my results of today's workout, i felt good, got a good workout in my back did not hurt any more after than it did before. the trainer even asked about it and i told her. we agreed that since it did'nt hurt worse that was good, lol. i'm avoiding squats for now and doing leg presses , and some other less strenuous movements til i feel i can do them with out pain. well, that's the update for now. until next time...

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Lately I have been doing more and more ab work and have noticed that it has helped my lower back. I've been getting stronger on goodmornings and deads and am able to perform these types of movements more regularly. The ab work has strengthened me up and seems to help my recovery. Never again will I neglect working my abs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

well, tonight was my first night back at work. things went good. my back got a little stiff but that will go away once i get used to being back. i even closed tonight which is a good thing. it shows my back well enough to do work. feels nice earning money again, lol. tomorrow is leg day. leg presses, leg curls, calf raises and ab work is the menue for the day and a few games of basketball.
    Last edited by Hercules; 10-16-2001 at 11:03 PM.