Thread: Excellent listen- This American Life: Testosterone

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar

Excellent listen- This American Life: Testosterone

I don't know who here listens to the radio show 'This American Life' which airs weekly on NPR out of WBEZ Chicago. It is a showcase for interviews, short stories, and anecdotes about life in America that can be funny, strange as ****, and disturbing in addition to being highly educational.

This link is to a one-hour long Realaudio stream where the subject of the program is testosterone. I think that it should be very interesting to anybody here. In it are stories about a man being totally stricken of testosterone as well as a woman who changes her sex through testosterone therapy.

http://207.70.82.73/ra/220.ram

If the link doesn't work, go to www.thisamericanlife.org and search for 'testosterone.'

NPR?

You are so sophisticated.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I caught it too, a couple weeks ago. Great program, as always.

I <3 NPR...

Paul, I don't listen to NPR, really. I listen for an hour a week, for this show. And I miss it most weeks. I just listen on the internet.

I'd rather have teeth pulled than listen to Terry Gross and Fresh Air all day like my artsy robot colleagues. I've found that most people who listen to NPR think that NPR is the only radio station worth listening to and if you don't listen to it that you're an uneducated lummox.

I, on the other hand, have XM satellite radio and unless your radio signals shine down from the heavens, they aren't worth listening to. You're gay, too.

The This American Life episode where they talk about pimping is also fantastic.

I've only listened to Terry Gross' show once and that was to hear her interview with Bill O'Reilly when he told her off and left in the middle of the interview. Funny stuff. Thanks for the link.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Holy ****! Tbone, do you have a link to where I could hear that interview?

Sure thing. It's about 40 minutes long. I think it happens in the last 5 minutes or so of the interview. Listen to the beginning when they kind of attack each other on each other's shows then the last 4-5 minutes of the interview.

http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCo...PRMediaPref=RM
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 06-17-2004 at 02:22 PM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Wow.

That was a hell of an interview.

I don't appreciate how she said that the interview was going to be about his book and then she attacked him the entire time. Near the end of the show he accused her of being harder on him than she was on Al Franken and her response was 'Thats because his interview was about his book.'

Jesus ****ing Christ.

I think she's a good interviewer; she's just a mean ultraliberal **** by nature I guess. I might listen to her if she's not doing a politically motivated interview.

And if I'm ever on her show, don't expect me to back off of that statement.

I'm not a fan of O'Reilly's either, I just loathe slanted interviewing and summarily most documentaries.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    Just listened to the testosterone interview. I couldn't put my ears away, just kept listening. It was really interesting hearing the new "guy" talk about all the emotional changes that took place in transition from a woman to a man. Weird stuff, but a great listen.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog