The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: bench advice

Hybrid View

bench advice

I have noticed that my weak point in bench press is at the bottom. I often struggle with the bar close to me but not so much at the top. What can I do to improve this?

I understand partial reps will help, how can I incorporate this in my training (beginning or ending sets, how often? etc) and is there anything else I can do?

Thanks.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

As a general rule of thumb the bottom of the rep involves the pecs predominantly, and the top of the rep involves the triceps predominantly for "lockout".

If you are struggling at the bottom and not the top then it implies your tris are stronger then your chest. One suggestion (amongst others im sure) is to widen your grip on the bar. The wider the grip the more emphasis goes onto the chest and away from the tris. This will preferentially work the chest. Spend a month like that working up weights and then bring your grip back into normal.

You could also do some flys for pec isolation work and strengthening.

You can (as you said) also do some partial rep work at the bottom of the rep (i would suggest after you complete some normal bench or wide grip bench) as a method of stimulating maximal growth. Ive seen people doing three inch presses off the chest and back. There is only so much you can do becasue your chest will only grow "so" fast. You cant force it to grow any faster than it can.

Im sure you will get a heap of suggestons from others too

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    As a general rule of thumb the bottom of the rep involves the pecs predominantly, and the top of the rep involves the triceps predominantly for "lockout".

If you are struggling at the bottom and not the top then it implies your tris are stronger then your chest. One suggestion (amongst others im sure) is to widen your grip on the bar. The wider the grip the more emphasis goes onto the chest and away from the tris. This will preferentially work the chest. Spend a month like that working up weights and then bring your grip back into normal.

You could also do some flys for pec isolation work and strengthening.

You can (as you said) also do some partial rep work at the bottom of the rep (i would suggest after you complete some normal bench or wide grip bench) as a method of stimulating maximal growth. Ive seen people doing three inch presses off the chest and back. There is only so much you can do becasue your chest will only grow "so" fast. You cant force it to grow any faster than it can.

Im sure you will get a heap of suggestons from others too
    Good advice!

Just be careful going wide. It puts a lot of stress on the shoulders. Just work up in the weight.
    Last edited by BIG C; 06-14-2004 at 09:22 AM.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

I use powerlifter-style, but I think that even with the style most people use, you can use your lats to help it get off your chest. Most people don't focus on this and so it may help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG C
    Good advice!

Just be careful going wide. It puts a lot of stress on the shoulders. Just work up in the weight.
    Very carfeul when going wide grip. Be sure to not let the bar drift too close to the neck as this will really stress the shoulders more. Try to keep the bar over your sternum as much as you can.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    usually when your weak spot on your bench is right off the chest they are correct it is predominatly pec strenght, but even more than that it is your bar speed, if you cant explode enough with your pecs to move the bar forcefully off your pecs you can do all the partial reps you want its not doing to help any.

imagine if someone placed a board on the bar as you pressed it off your chest if you pressed the bar up slowly you will never move the board at all, while if you exploded through the bar with alot of speed you can actually break the board.

strength x speed equals power, and you need a great deal of power to move the bar off your chest.

so with all that said if i were you id try some dynamic bench also known as speed bench. take about half of your max and perform 9 sets of 3 reps

really concentrate on moving the bar as fast as possble especially when coming off your chest

do 3 sets with a close grip, 3 medium and 3 wide grip, this will help you develop the bar speed and power you need to explode the weight off your chest and break thrugh your sticking point
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/de...engthening.htm

2. P – Weak off of chest
    WP – Bar too heavy, nobody fails off of the chest
    CP #1 – Lower the bar with your back, “springboard effect”, activate stretch reflex
    CP #2 – Develop accelerative strength, prolong rate of force production
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Thanks for the excellent responses.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche