The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    get on a bench program like muscle media's increase your bench by 50lb by shawn phillips... and change your goal .. 255 is near impossible... honestly, I would set it at 225 and really work hard on that program. Chances are you'll hit 225, and possibly a lot more. That way when u put up say 240 you will be overjoyed rather than pissed off and sore.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

yeah i figured 255 might be a bit high for that goal but i figured i would throw that idea out there and see what responses i got back. when i first thought of goin for the bench goal i initially thought of 235 but then i said eeehhhh why not 255. so i wouldnt be disappointed if i dont make 255 but 235 would be much more achievable.

i will try the suggestions to changin my routine around a little. i have seen big gains from that routine itself so i will see how things go.

thanks for the input guys.

I never saw how much you weighed? B/c I would gauge your chances of success on your body frame, weight, etc. Do you weigh 135lbs or 210lbs?

The average person is massively underdeveloped and with just a few months to a year can work their way up to benching about 200lbs. Its after that the progress slows down. Its called noobie gains.

Massively underdeveloped meaning.... bodyweight 200lbs with a benchpress of 135lbs,etc.

Where if you're in pretty good shape you should be able to benchpress your weight at least once (max).

And if you're a pro powerlifter you should bench twice your weight!!

I'm 190lbs and bench 315lb. I've been stuck there for ages. I did 285 for the 1st time back in 98 (about 6 years ago) So in the past 6 years I've only added 30lbs to my benchpress. Granted I had a bad car accident and was laid up for months which probably knocked me back 2 years. (lost 20+ lbs bw) SO 30lbs in 4 years. My muscles have gotten much bigger in the past few years, but I think my body frame wont let me bench much over 300lbs.

I started working in 1993 at 6'0" 130lbs probably benching about 130lbs.

P.S. Your routine looks decent. 3x8 to start is probably more than you need on those exercises.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

I'm 6', 170lbs- benching 125x6 ... would you say thats massively underdeveloped??

I'm trying to figure out how many times a week i should bench if i want to increase it alot.. im havin trouble with all these different routines and programs im seeing. I'm doing like twice a week right now
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

i am 6'1 215lbs and i am currently at 185x4 comfortably. even though i havent tried i think i could do 215 once.

Quote Originally Posted by chris6969
    P.S. Your routine looks decent. 3x8 to start is probably more than you need on those exercises.
    yeah usually when i do bench my breakdown is:

135x8
    135x8
    135x8
    165x6
    185x4

i should prob either drop weight for the warmups or do only 1 warm up at 135 so i can conserve energy. i only did that because thats what ive been doin to get my bench from 95 -> 185.

Personally, I like to do my heaviest set first (after warming up)
    So for you, Blain, you should do:

bar x 10 warm up (just to get a good stretch)
    95x8 warm up
    190 x 4+
    170 x 6+
    155 x 8+

+ push out the last rep hard
    And you should be able to do more, since you'll be fresher.
    As you get stronger you might add 135x8 back in there(as a warm up).... but you dont need it right now.

Jtyrell, looks like your max is about 150 and you weigh 170 not too bad, but you should be able to get up to 170 easily.

Blain, probably has a much bigger frame and should be able to work his way up to 215. Some people are just built bigger genetically and can get strong very quickly.

My work out partner has these Popeye forearms and calves, big wrists and general body frame. He has caught up with me (benching 315)) in just about 2-3 years. Though his natural bodyweight it like 210 mine would probably be 150 if I stopped working out.
    Last edited by chris6969; 06-18-2004 at 01:09 PM.

Also, for every 5 lbs you add, you usually lose 1 rep and vise versa. (fresh)

So if you can do 185x4
    you should be able to do:
    190x3
    195x2
    200x1

Its a good general rule that works from reps 1 to about 15-20
    once you get over 15-20 reps stamina(cardio,etc) plays a role and you could drop off faster.
    Last edited by chris6969; 06-18-2004 at 01:12 PM.