The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

185 to 255 by end of summer

how much of a dream is this and how much of reality is this? i started serious lifting 3.5 months ago benchin only 95, yes pathetic but im cool with it, and now i am at 185 and i want to set a goal of 255 by the end of summer. do you think with the pace a went from 95->185 gonna help me get to 255 by end of summer? any input is appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

wow that really is a lot of weight in short amount of time. i would never be able to do that but i heard you gain 15 pounds of muscle in two months if you use steroids. so i guess it is possible...

no chance, you could get there, but most of it would be fat.
    Bench: 305 Squat: 345 Dead: 465

"Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting." J. Creasy

JGRIFF's Road to Rock Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by GRIFF
    no chance, you could get there, but most of it would be fat.
    i think he was talking about benching heheh

There is only one way to find out if you gan go from benching 185 to 255 by the end of the summer.

Try it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i dont plan on goin to steroids. so what do you think a good goal is to get to by the end of the summer? i just need somethin to shoot for and since ive beasically just started i dont have anough knowledge to gauge where i should be.

haha I know, i was bein a dink
    Bench: 305 Squat: 345 Dead: 465

"Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting." J. Creasy

JGRIFF's Road to Rock Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    There is only one way to find out if you gan go from benching 185 to 255 by the end of the summer.

Try it.
    oh i def shall.

i thought so but i wasnt to sure. its all good though.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Chapman
    wow that really is a lot of weight in short amount of time. i would never be able to do that but i heard you gain 15 pounds of muscle in two months if you use steroids. so i guess it is possible...
    Maybe if you're doing 4 GRAMS of juice a week, but then you'd probably lose a few pounds also when you **** out your liver.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Yeah ...you are absolutely right....So get that out of the way and crap out your liver first...then get to lifting..I don't know if you keep a journal that you take with you into te gym but if you really want it ..keep a journal

That way you have a written record of what you lifted every session and you can add
    at least 2.5 lbs everytime....that is the only way is to keep progressively overloading your muscles..You got your newbie gains out of the way...the rest will be a more difficult task to keep progressing...
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

It shouldn't be that hard, I did it in less time I think. Just eat a lot and don't worry about fat gain

Wannabebig Member
    I think you will be hard-pressed to add that much in a few months, but you may as well aim high. Good luck

70lbs on your bench in lets call it 2 months. Well, lets say you bench 2 times a week. That would mean you would bench approx. 16 times before your goal has to be met. That's roughly a 4-5lb increase every time you get on the bench. To be honest, it would be extremely hard to add 8-10lbs to your bench a week, consistently for months at a time. If it were that easy, everyone would be benching 300lbs in no time. What are your long term goals? Do you want to bodybuild, or powerlift. If you're more interested in building a nice body, don't be so concerned about what you bench in a certain amount of time.

Also, since most of your newbie gains are passing by, it's going to be harder to go from 185 to 255 than it was to get from 95 to 185.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Footballer
    Well I'm trying to go from around 240 or 250 to 300 or so by the end of summer.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

How are your squats and rowing coming along?

yeah i started off gaining fast on everything but slowed down a couple months later. now progress is slower but still very enjoyable. blaindsmith: r u noticing slower gain? plus don't forget to change routines every 2-3 months
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

You've found your calling
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

thanks for the input guys. i would love to get to 255 but a more reasononable goal it seems would be 215 or 235 from what everyone has said.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    What are your long term goals? Do you want to bodybuild, or powerlift.
    i am goin for more of a powerlifter and gettin bigger. but not lettin the fat gain get out of hand where i end up with a big stomach. a good example of where i will want to end up someday is where Teufelhund is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    How are your squats and rowing coming along?
    my squants are around 315 or more and im not sure about my row.

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    r u noticing slower gain?
    just a little in my bench but as for other parts i am still increasing. i am finally getting some strength and stability to do more weight. i was thinkin of doin flat dumbbell press to mix things up a bit.

I think its possible, if he does power sets, and power sets for supporting muscles, with the right nutrition and rest. If not i think he could definately come awfully close.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

i am soooo happy with myself. when i started this thread i only did 185 3.5 times. needed a little help on 4. but just yesturday i did it 6 times with just a slight spot. and i did that after doin 135x8 3 times for warmup and then 165x6 1 time for my first work set. i know i could bench more if i did warm up with that much weight but this routine has gotten me much stronger and bigger than when i started.

congratulations, keep it up!
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

funny how people don't read what he posts
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

what routine are you using, how many times a week are you benching?
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

my routine is:

[sets]x[reps]

day 1:
    flat bench press 3x8 1x6 1x4
    incline db press 1x8 1x6 1x4
    cable flyes: 1x8 2x6

deadlift 3x8 1x6 1x4
    bent over db rows 1x8 2x6
    lat pulldowns 1x8 1x6 1x4

day 2:
    squats 3x8 1x6 1x4
    leg extensions 1x8 2x6
    calves 3x8 1x6 1x4

military press 3x8 1x6 1x4
    seated db press 1x8 1x6 1x4
    lateral raises 1x8 2x6

day 3:
    preacher curls 3x8 1x6 1x4
    incline alt db curls 1x8 1x6 1x4
    hammer curls 1x8 1x6 1x4

pressdowns 3x8 1x6 1x4
    skull crushers 1x8 1x6 1x4
    close grips 1x8 1x6 1x4

day 4:
    squats 3x8 1x6 1x4
    leg extensions 1x8 2x6
    sldl 3x8 1x6 1x4
    calves 3x8 1x6 1x4

shrugs 3x8 1x6 1x4

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by blaindsmith
    my routine is:

[sets]x[reps]

day 1:
    flat bench press 3x8 1x6 1x4
    incline db press 1x8 1x6 1x4
    cable flyes: 1x8 2x6

deadlift 3x8 1x6 1x4
    bent over db rows 1x8 2x6
    lat pulldowns 1x8 1x6 1x4

day 2:
    squats 3x8 1x6 1x4
    leg extensions 1x8 2x6
    calves 3x8 1x6 1x4

military press 3x8 1x6 1x4
    seated db press 1x8 1x6 1x4
    lateral raises 1x8 2x6

day 3:
    preacher curls 3x8 1x6 1x4
    incline alt db curls 1x8 1x6 1x4
    hammer curls 1x8 1x6 1x4

pressdowns 3x8 1x6 1x4
    skull crushers 1x8 1x6 1x4
    close grips 1x8 1x6 1x4

day 4:
    squats 3x8 1x6 1x4
    leg extensions 1x8 2x6
    sldl 3x8 1x6 1x4
    calves 3x8 1x6 1x4

shrugs 3x8 1x6 1x4

That's a rather brutal routine. Your shoulders are directly and indirectly worked four days a week. You might be able to get to your goal, if your shoulders hold out. A few things though. Don't deadlift on the same day you bench. It would be better to put military press on that day. Cut back on the arm work. If your triceps get a lot of work, it is harder to get a big bench with tired triceps. I wouldn't squat twice a week. Once is plenty. Since you want a big bench save that energy for bench press.

Just my 2 cents