Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can break out of 150lbs

Wannabebig Member

Can break out of 150lbs

I've been lifting for the past 3.5 months and still can't increase my weight. I work out around 5 days a week. I am doing the Max-Ot routine. I am currently on a 3000~3500 caloris diet. I have been taking Cell-Tech for the past 2 weeks but haven't seen any difference in weight.

I have always been lean and never fat. I do admit that I am ripped, but i can't seem to put more mass on. I used to run a helva lot, but i decided to stop the cardio.

I eat really well(healthy) 5-6 times a day, and am starting to think that is the problem. i think i should just start eating everything like Bigmacs, fried chicken, pizza(I can eat a lot also, I can finish a whole large pizza pie in one sitting), etc.

I get around 10 hours of sleep on average. If you have any suggestions please help. Thanks for reading this.
    Right now I'm thinking of a nice, big, juicy burger done medium on a charcol grill with melted, extra sharp cheddar cheese, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, creamy mayo on a toasted bun with a side order of freshly cut, crispy french fries, and a side order of freshly home-battered, thick, crispy onion rings with a bottle of Heinz ketcup and a large coke. Awwwwhhh....

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    well everything sounds spot on perfect ..But it is not..otherwise you would be gaining..
    stopping cardio will help reduce calories out....eat more if you want to gain.. Your metabolism sounds high..You may have to eat more than Joe Average to gain...where is your protein at?
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Are your measurements increasing?? Are your weights moving up??

if protein and fats are high enough, and there's nothing wrong weightwise, you just have the metabolism of a devil, and need to eat even more cals..
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't know about my measurements. I haven't taken them, maybe I should. My weights are moving up but I don't know if it's slow. If I average it, I think I move 5 lbs every third week or so. Also my protein intake is pretty high, i think it's around 300 grams per day.
    Right now I'm thinking of a nice, big, juicy burger done medium on a charcol grill with melted, extra sharp cheddar cheese, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, creamy mayo on a toasted bun with a side order of freshly cut, crispy french fries, and a side order of freshly home-battered, thick, crispy onion rings with a bottle of Heinz ketcup and a large coke. Awwwwhhh....

I wannabebig!
    eat more

Eat anything you can get your hands on, sometimes it's the only way. I also have a fast metabolism, and that approach worked well for me

Wannabebig Member
    I would LOVE to move up 5 lbs every three weeks If that is what you've been seeing, personally I think you are just fine. Also 300 g of protein a day when you weigh 150 is way overboard, you don't need near that much.

His problem is a problem for young men everywhere. How many high school and college age guys would like to add 20-30 lbs of muscle? I cannot say for sure, but I would venture to say it is in the hundreds of thousands in the U.S. and millions if you go worldwide.

With the advent of the internet and all of the available information out there how can it be that there are so many young men like Pacific? The answer lies in the simplicity of it all and the marketing ploys of some individuals. You see, the sad truth of our culture is that things have to be new and radical, or have catchy names in order for people to buy them. The developers of HST and Max OT needed to come up with something they can bill as their own, something which is differentiated from the rest in order to capture your dollars (make no mistake; those programs are vehicles to generate profit).

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with someone making a living in this field and I think both HST and Max OT are solid programs. Unfortunately, they really don't address the masses of guys like Pacificmonarch.

Let's break this problem down to its core and work our way back from there. If anyone, regardless of how skinny and hard of a gainer they are, consumes enough calories and trains properly they will put on weight. They can add as much bodyweight as they like. I know, you are reading this and thinking this guy is full of it, "I train like a banshee and eat anything that is not bolted to the ground." Bear with me; I shall set you free from the chains of skinnyitude!

Progressive resistance training stimulates the growth of muscles. If you are consuming sufficient calories you will add muscle if you train in a progressive fashion and allow the body to recover and supercompensate from your sessions in the gym. The two key phrases in that sentence (consume sufficient calories and allow the body enough time to recover) are what trip-up every guy like Pacific out there. They are the bane of the skinny man's existence.

How many calories do you need to eat? You want a formula, right? No luck here, a formula is generic, you are unique. Here is the deal, if you are not gaining weight you need to eat more. I said this was simple. Thin young men have fast metabolisms. Eating "clean", you know; chicken, rice, fish, oatmeal and so on, will not get you big! Sure, you can eat those foods, but you have to eat so much of them in order to meet your caloric needs that you literally have to become like a grazing cow and just be munching all day. Nobody will keep this up, they will just decide that being huge is not in the cards for them. You have to loosen up the reigns a bit and eat some fat. This doesn't mean you have to live at McDonalds like that guy in the documentary, but it does mean that you need to consume calorie dense foods. Here is a brief list:

peanut butter
    beef
    whole milk
    cheeses
    whole eggs
    ice cream

Are you starting to get the idea? You can even indulge in some fast food from time to time. Hamburgers are a great source of protein and very calorie dense. You don't want to live on these foods, but they can certainly be a tasty supplement to your diet.

You DO NOT need to eat 6 times per day. You DO need to eat a lot of food. The number of meals is not as important as the total number of calories you consume.

As some of you may already know, it is a lot easier to drink calories than it is to eat them. You need to consume high-calorie shakes throughout the day. These shakes combined with the calorie dense foods mentioned above will make it possible to consume enough calories to grow.

Protein intake is very important if you want maximum size. High level strength athletes have known for years that you need plenty of protein to allow for the muscle growth you desire. Chances are that if you consume enough calories to put on weight you will concurrently be consuming sufficient protein. Most of the calorie dense foods mentioned above are both high in protein and fat. Of course, it you are on a quest for size you don't want to take chances. This is where supplemental protein comes into the picture. If you mix a high quality protein supplement (I am obviously biased towards AtLarge products) into your daily shakes you will be virtually guaranteed of consuming sufficient protein to fuel rapid growth in size and strength.

Training is equally simple. You need to use the BIG BOY movements, the compound movements. Here is a brief list of compound movements:

Bench press
    Standing or seated shoulder press
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bent rows
    Chins
    Dips

The above movements performed properly will pack the mass on you (assuming you eat enough). Compound movements work so well because they are efficient and they allow the use of heavy loads. They are efficient because one movement hits a lot of muscle and the value of lifting big weights is self evident.

There is a lot of talk out there about training to failure or not. Training to failure is a viable technique, but I don't recommend it as the way to train on a consistent basis (this is a BIG change for me). The way for young men to train in order to pack on the mass is hit each bodypart 2 times per week using the big movements and stopping short of failure. For the purposes of packing on the mass a specific number of reps are secondary to how you train. In other words you can train with 3 reps per set or you can use 10 reps per set (not to contradict myself, but I recommend you do not exceed 10 reps). Training hard and eating right will add mass and strength within the 3-10 rep range parameter. I recommend you train with the rep scheme with which you are most comfortable. I know people get freaky about this stuff, but you really don't need to. The important part is that you finish each set with some gas left in the tank. For each unique exercise you perform in your workout I recommend 1-3 warmup sets followed by 3 working sets. The working sets should be challenging, but not so much so that you cannot complete the desired number of reps for each of the 3 sets without changing the resistance. So, if you are using 5 reps in your routine, your 3 working sets should be performed for 5 reps each with the same weight.

The key to progression on this routine is that you bump the weight by 5-10 lbs (your call) when you feel that each of the 3 sets has become easy enough that you can graduate and get 3 sets of 5 with the higher weight next time without training to failure. Don't get too greedy! Make sure to stay within the confines of the routine and you will be rewarded with greater size and strength very quickly. This is a progression by "feel". It is the only way to progress. I, nor anyone else, can tell you when you will be able to progress. Only you can ascertain that.

The first time you use a particular resistance for 3 sets of X (5 in the previous example) the weight should feel heavy, quite challenging (but again, remember, you should STILL be able to make the 3 sets of X without hitting failure). Subsequent sessions with the same weight should get easier and easier. After 2-3 sessions (in most cases) you should be ready to progress. You will get a feel for this once you have done the routine for a few sessions.

Continuing with the "feel" theme you will find that from time to time your body will need a rest. You might start to get aches in your joints. You might just feel excessively worn out or tired when training. When this occurs you can just lighten your loads and "go through the motions" for a few sessions. These sessions should be very easy, just enough to get the blood flowing. Once you have done this for 2-4 sessions per bodypart you should once again be ready for heavy training.

I recommend a 2 day split performed twice per week. You can vary from this if you like, but remember your body needs rest from the gym! Here is a SAMPLE routine (in terms of exercises):

Monday and Wednesday:

Bench Press
    Chins
    Seated shoulder press

Tuesday and Friday (alternate squats and deadlifts every other week):

Squats
    Calf Raises

Abbreviated, yes, but also highly effective if practiced as I have recommended.

If you really, truly want to gain weight all you need do is follow the guidelines above and then get back to me when you have put on 20-30 lbs of solid mass.

Now, get to it!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pimpology Professor
    Chris do you have AIM? If so could you aim me? My SN is locoman1984. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't. You are welcome to PM me here if you like.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I'm sorry, I don't. You are welcome to PM me here if you like.

You really feel that 2 days a week is enough frequency? I'm a true hard gainer, long distance runner, and I know if theres a week between when I work muscle groups...I'm sore as hell and its much harder to lift heavier even though people say you grow outside of the gym.

Comments? Just think I'm an exception or something?

dont start with fastfood like mcdonalds, other.. bad carb source, and lot'sa fat! try blend oatmeal, proteinpowder, some berries, some good type of bacteria milk, and drink this a few times a day... add alot of the oatmeal.. increased me... ( I did 121lbs to 215lbs in 1year and 1/2 )
    Deadlift: 460+, Squat (deep!): 414lbs, Bench: 276lbs
    1 1/2 year trained.. 190-200lbs, 14%

WBB Member
    Chris, why do you recommend consuming more fat? I know you say not to go overboard with it, but calories from fat don't actually build muscle, right? I was under the impression that only calories from protein could build muscle.

Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by snorre
    dont start with fastfood like mcdonalds, other.. bad carb source, and lot'sa fat! try blend oatmeal, proteinpowder, some berries, some good type of bacteria milk, and drink this a few times a day... add alot of the oatmeal.. increased me... ( I did 121lbs to 215lbs in 1year and 1/2 )
    true, but fat = muscle when lifting, calories = energy, and pacific= skinny f***

eat alot and lift hard compound movements. the trick here is to eat enough food to have protein and energy enough left over to gain mass.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    Hey thanks for the replies. What everyone is basically saying is to eat more. I do eat quite a bit. However, the reason I don't like to eat McD's, peanut butter or what Chris was saying is because I want to gain muscle and not fat. Right now, my body fat percentage is around 5%. And I intend to keep it that way. What I want to do is gain more lean muscle mass. If I were to indulge in eating McD's, ice-cream, or any high-fatty-foods, I think my body fat percentage would go up.

Here's another question, if I were to go crazy on high-fatty-foods(eg. fried chicken, McDs, peanut butter, etc) and still consistantly work out, would my body fat percentage go up or stay the same?

Right now, I am eating no fats what so ever. The only fat I am eating is Olive oil and Fish Oil.

well i think the point of chris is that yourn ot going to have big gains if you continue to stay at such a low bf. Your eating to cleanly that its gonna be hard to get the calories that youll need to grow. If your gonna do a real lean bulk, dont expect to gain a whole lot of mass quick.

Also chris mason, awesome post. Youve convinced me of how i want to do my bulk

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    You really feel that 2 days a week is enough frequency?
    Absolutely. 2 times for each workout, 4 total workouts per week. There are few sets performed in this routine but they're compound movements moving a lot of weight, without going to failure.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Chris had lots of good points.
    I would not resort to fast food, on a regular basis. There are lots of calorie dense foods that are better. Cheese, pb, beef, pasta. For me I just add milk, pasta or rice. But I am not a hardgainer, sometimes wish I was.

You can bulk clean and gain fast! Just eat 400-500g protein, and ALOT of carb from oatmeal, brown rice, etc. food with fiber! I did experience this myself.. I gained alot on it, I was skinny...I DOUBLED my weight! When I did 3 months with 30% fat, i went fatty! When i lowered it to 10% with more carb, I gained likely much, eating little more to comply with the high kcal in fat... I gained more muscle, lesser fat!

Eat clean, but eat alot of clean food.. and you will gain good stuff!
    Deadlift: 460+, Squat (deep!): 414lbs, Bench: 276lbs
    1 1/2 year trained.. 190-200lbs, 14%

Alas, I feel that the lessons imparted fell on deaf ears.

That, by the way, helps to prove my point about why there are so many guys like Pacific out there.

Pacific, you can't break 150 lbs, right? You don't want to gain fat, right? I'll tell you what, give my advice a try and when you start to feel that you are adding to much fat just reduce your caloric intake a bit. You are never going to add any weight following the scheme you thus far have. I have heard that the definition of insanity if repeating the same thing over and over again expecting different results...

Snorre, an excess of calories is an excess of calories when consumed consistenly. Irregardless of what the food consists of, if you eat too much on a consistent basis you will put on bodyfat. Your assertation that one will gain less fat if you keep your percentage of fat in your diet lower is incorrect assuming the same number of calories is consumed. What happened in your case is that when you were consuming a higher fat diet you simply ate too many calories. Fat has over twice the number of calories per gram when compared to carbs or protein, thus it is easier to consume more calories when you have more fat in your diet (hence why I recommended it). You see, someone like Pacific claims to be consuming a lot of calories and not gaining weight, he needs more. You simply grossly exceeded the number of calories you required when you were consuming more fat in your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    Chris, why do you recommend consuming more fat? I know you say not to go overboard with it, but calories from fat don't actually build muscle, right? I was under the impression that only calories from protein could build muscle.

Just wondering
    To not get too technical, you need a calorie surplus to add muscle (there are exceptions I know, this is for simplicity's sake).

I recommend he consumes more fat because fat is 9 kcals per gram, more than twice the number of kcals per gram of carbs or protein. Fat makes it easier (and possible in some cases) to consume enough total calories.

Awesome post chris. I really think that should be made a sticky.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

it should- and the posts behind it should be deleted...

all the fat your getting is from oils.... *dissapointed look*
    hey geoffgarcia how much (good) fat should we be gettin each day if we're havin trouble with gaining weight and want increased test and mass?? 100-120 g a day, now you dont need that much exactly, over or under- but either way, thats somethin you should shoot for-
    Fats dont make you fat
    too many calories over your matinence will
    some calories over your matinence will make you gain weight
    your matinence is high- therefore you need a ****load of cals to gain muscle, and even more to gain weight, so i wouldnt worry too much about gainin too much fat.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

- women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

and p.s. why is everyone saying chris told him to eat exclusively fast food, he said he could have it once in a while as a tasty supplement, like he's allowed to eat it- unlike us fatties who have to stay away from every possible trace of fastfood..
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf