The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

working out the forearm

i work out my forearm by doing ez bar reverse wrist curl and bb wrist curl. i start with the ez bar reverse and end with bb wrist curl because bb wrist curl just feels like im getting pounded and i could really work my forearms to failure this way. bb wrist curl is the staple of my forearm workout.

i wanted to know if im approaching forearm workouts correctly. i think bb wrist curl is the best for my forearm but i could be wrong. also i wanted to know if these two exercises work different parts of the forearm or if theyre the same.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

BB wrist curls are also my main forearm exercise, as they work the best out of all the forearm exercises I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by mike107
    BB wrist curls are also my main forearm exercise, as they work the best out of all the forearm exercises I've tried.
    where do you perform them? i do it on my knees with my forearms resting on the bench. i only put 2 and a half pound weights on it because if i put a 5 pound weight then my range of motion gets limited. theres a metal thing on the bench and it prevents me from letting my wrist fully flex before i curl it.

so i put three 2 1/2 pound plates on each side so that would be 50 pounds total. but i usually have to look for the 2 1/2 pound plates. we dont have too many and sooner or later i will have to find another way to do the bb wrist curls because i need to start adding 5 pound plates.

when i do the bb wrist curl my arms are about 2 feet apart from each other. i saw how arnold does it and he has a close grip (arms are touching each other) and he does it on the edge of the seat so he could sit down. i tried it this way and its so uncomfortable. first of all the pain doesnt feel as thorough as the way i currently do it. and second i cant even curl the bar totally up because its an unnatural positioning of the forearms so close together.
    Last edited by T_Chapman; 06-16-2004 at 12:50 AM.

I do BB wrist curls standing up, holding the barbell behind me. I find these very effective, but I'm sure the way you do it is also fine. You could do it like this and put on as much weight as you want, without anything getting in the way. Also, another way to do them is, you can sit down on the bench, and rest your forearms right on top of your thighs with your hands/wrists hanging over your knees holding the barbell. But of the two, I like behind-the back, better. Just try them both and see which you like the best, or keep doing it the way you are. I'm sure it will be effective whichever way you choose to do it.
    Last edited by mike107; 06-16-2004 at 01:14 AM.

I personnaly prefer a few sets of static holds at the end of my workout.

Yeah static holds are good. Also help with grip strength.

i like that behind the back idea
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

One thing I do is put a bar on the rack with about 150 lbs on it. Then just turn it, fighting the friction against the rack. It really messes up your hands but it works the inner forearms very well.

Wrist curls will build up for forearm muscles, adding to your wrist stability (good for things like benching), but it will only have a little carry over to grip strength for pulling. For grip strength, train grip strength, not wrist strength.

Static holds are probably the most useful grip exercise for lifting purposes. Crushing strength, trained with grippers, is also very useful.

Crushing strength...hehe...sounds cool, i now want ENORMOUS crushing strength. CRUSH!!!
    Last edited by Jezmason; 06-16-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Ive been doing wrist curls the way arnold does them on the edge of the seat, problem is ive been progressing in the weight i can curl but seeing no gains?!?! last time i did them was on my light training day where i did 3 sets of 12 with a 20kg bar and 2 10kg weights, around 88 pounds. On a heavy day it would be around 110 pounds for 6 reps. My forearm size has never changed during my 3 years training, still around 12.5 inches. I also do reverse curls.

Am i lifting to light? What weight are you guys doing?
    Anyones forearms growing really well? Share your secrets.

i need to remember to get grippers!!
    growth, try all these other ways, try reverse curls etc...
    mix it up if it aint workin

hell at least your gettin stronger
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

- women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Get Captains of Crush or other quality instead of some crappy generic brand. All metal construction is very nice.

I suggest getting the trainer model if you don't have strong hands yet. Hell, I have problems with the #1 and I can at pick up 500 lbs in a rack pull. Just goes to show that even that is different strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Growth
    Ive been doing wrist curls the way arnold does them on the edge of the seat, problem is ive been progressing in the weight i can curl but seeing no gains?!?! last time i did them was on my light training day where i did 3 sets of 12 with a 20kg bar and 2 10kg weights, around 88 pounds. On a heavy day it would be around 110 pounds for 6 reps. My forearm size has never changed during my 3 years training, still around 12.5 inches. I also do reverse curls.

Am i lifting to light? What weight are you guys doing?
    Anyones forearms growing really well? Share your secrets.
    forearms are genetic i think. some people never work it out and they have big forearms but people like me have to really put time into it. arnold said you have to overload your forearms and use heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Get Captains of Crush or other quality instead of some crappy generic brand. All metal construction is very nice.

I suggest getting the trainer model if you don't have strong hands yet. Hell, I have problems with the #1 and I can at pick up 500 lbs in a rack pull. Just goes to show that even that is different strength.
    sorry but whats captains of crush? is it that gripping thing they sell at big 5 and sporting stores?

Quote Originally Posted by mike107
    I do BB wrist curls standing up, holding the barbell behind me. I find these very effective, but I'm sure the way you do it is also fine. You could do it like this and put on as much weight as you want, without anything getting in the way. Also, another way to do them is, you can sit down on the bench, and rest your forearms right on top of your thighs with your hands/wrists hanging over your knees holding the barbell. But of the two, I like behind-the back, better. Just try them both and see which you like the best, or keep doing it the way you are. I'm sure it will be effective whichever way you choose to do it.
    it sounds pretty good although i like my way better because you use all your energy into your forearms. you dont need to concentrate standing up or not falling back or using your shoulders to hold the bb. but i think this is probably the best way to go for me after i run out of 2 1/2 pound plates.

tchap:

yes.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

The body is a set of reflections. The reason forearms dont grow like crazy under high weight/low reps is for the same reason calves dont either. They are both packed full of slow twich muscle (unless you are a gentetic lucky bas**rd and have lots of type 2 in the mix). Lower the weight 10-15% and raise the reps to 12-20 area. 3-4 sets and you will stimulate type 1 fiber growth and sarcoplasmic growth. type 1 fibers just dont respond to high weight/low reps.

Also remeber that the forearm contains 2 different "sets" of muscles. The wrist flexors and extensors and ALSO the finger/thumb flexor and extensors. If you want bigger forearms you need to train both. Only doing wrist curls will train 1/4 of the muscles in the forearm.

Grip (crush) training builds up the intrinsic muscles of the hand that are actually located in the hand itself (as well as some of the forearm muscles).

Lets not forget rotation/twisting to build up the supinator and pronator muscles either.

basically you could spend 30 mins in the gym just on forearms. A good friend has huge forearms and hes never done a single focused exercise on them...its ll from just lugging heavy weights around in the gym. Lucky sod.

Augs

yea its really rough having naturally big calves... heh
    i guess i make up for its with naturally tiny forearms.

augs are u saying if we lug heavy weights around the gym we'll get swole forearms???
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

nope. im saying my mate is a genetic ape-man and looking at weights makes him grow. so just the simple act of training the rest of his his body (and thus using his forearms on almost every exercise), picking up plates from the floor etc etc in the gym makes his forearms grow. they are huge and hes never directly trained them. hes just lucky. but then he works incredibly hard in the gym...110%.

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    The body is a set of reflections. The reason forearms dont grow like crazy under high weight/low reps is for the same reason calves dont either. They are both packed full of slow twich muscle (unless you are a gentetic lucky bas**rd and have lots of type 2 in the mix). Lower the weight 10-15% and raise the reps to 12-20 area. 3-4 sets and you will stimulate type 1 fiber growth and sarcoplasmic growth. type 1 fibers just dont respond to high weight/low reps.

Also remeber that the forearm contains 2 different "sets" of muscles. The wrist flexors and extensors and ALSO the finger/thumb flexor and extensors. If you want bigger forearms you need to train both. Only doing wrist curls will train 1/4 of the muscles in the forearm.

Grip (crush) training builds up the intrinsic muscles of the hand that are actually located in the hand itself (as well as some of the forearm muscles).

Lets not forget rotation/twisting to build up the supinator and pronator muscles either.

basically you could spend 30 mins in the gym just on forearms. A good friend has huge forearms and hes never done a single focused exercise on them...its ll from just lugging heavy weights around in the gym. Lucky sod.

Augs
    is it possible that i only have these type ii fibers in my calves? my calves grow so fast that i stopped training it like i would train my other bodies. i just want to maintain this size. i went from 80 pounds calf raise to 130 in a few months. i always did each set to failure (about 20+) and only did 3 sets each week. now i just do one set of 110 every week to just keep the size. my calves dont look good if theyre big. i have the type of calves that have muscles from top to bottom. i like the calves that have that big lump on the top.

my forearms are another story. same for my upper legs. actually my whole body except for my calves struggle to gain. i have an acquantance at the gym and he owns a protein shop. he told me im a hard gainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    nope. im saying my mate is a genetic ape-man and looking at weights makes him grow. so just the simple act of training the rest of his his body (and thus using his forearms on almost every exercise), picking up plates from the floor etc etc in the gym makes his forearms grow. they are huge and hes never directly trained them. hes just lucky. but then he works incredibly hard in the gym...110%.
    lol at "my mate is genetic ape-man and looking at weights makes him grow."