The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: shoulder pain

shoulder pain

i hurt my shoulder yesterday on db shoulder presses. I was pushing the weight up and then it felt like my arm came out of its socket and came back down some. It didn't hurt that much yesterday, but today it hurts like a bastard. i got some aleve and some biofreeze to help it out. I think I am going to rest it until at least monday to see if it will get better on its own. should i just rest everything until then or can i continue with other excercises?
    for tomorrow's workout i was going to do bench, dips, french press, deads, and calves. on friday i was going to do pullups, curls, and db shoulder presses. i know i shouldn't do bench or shoulder presses, but what about everything else?
    i was going to start my first bulk this week, but now I'm not sure.
    if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would take a break from any lifts that require to move your shoulder. Yes it sucks but it's better to rest it. I have to do the same thing next month. I have a rotator cuff problem that isn't going away so I'm going to give it a month to heal.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

ouch. could have been a brief subluxation. a very short lived dislocation that has the head just move slightly out of the socket (its very wide and lax which is why we have the rotator cuff muscles to hold it in place) and then pop back in when the rotator cuff spasms tight. They can happen in a fraction of a second. I had one snowboarding once. Just strains all the ligaments and tendons surrounding the head of the bone. healed up ok tho

At any rate...rest it and get some cold on it. Shoulder issues can take a long time to heal if you dont give them a chance. If the pain remains intense (hurting like a bastard) for more than three or four days go see a doctor. Its possible you have strained the joint between the collar bone and the shoulderblade (the acromio-clavicular joint). You can often see if you have by looking in the mirror face on. You will see a downwards "steping" of the bone at the top, outer edge of the shoulder whereas there wont be one on the other side.

If the pain goes down quickly over the next 3-4 days then its a good bet it was muscular, prolly one of the rotator cuff muscles, but hard to tell which becasue they all work at once, pretty much constantly when you use your shoulder.

Anyhow...hope you have a speedi recovery.
    Augs

Thanks for the help guys.
    so i should stick to deads, squats, and other lower body movements for a while? no pullups?
    It hurts the most when I raise my hand like people do in court as they are sworn in, it hurts at the back of my shoulder, if that makes sense to anyone but me.
    If it isn't better in a few days i am definitely going to a doctor.

Rest that shoulder!

My 13 year old nephew had something similar happen during weight training for football. He did not rest it and continued to work out and practice with it in pain.

He has now gone through surgery and will probably never play football again due to the damage.

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

alright, screw the bulk for a while (I just started yesterday, so it's not like i'm messing up anything), i'll just not lift at all for a week and see if it gets better, if not I'm going to the doctor. I guess I'll run alot this week.
    anybody else ever use Biofreeze, this stuff is amazing.

Glad to hear you are resting. I was about to point out that any exercises (even legs) involve you holding a bloody heavy weight and that weight will still pass through your sholders.

The bulk will wait a week or two whilst your shoulder gets better. better to do the bulk so you can actually work hard enough to gain mass rather than eating a load of calories and only half working out. you will get fat lol!

Augs

thanks for the advice.
    i realized it would be dumb to hold the "bloody heavy weight" before you could point it out, so . for a while there i was tricking myself into thinking i could still do some things, but i think the time off will be okay if i don't go crazy.
    i still ate like **** today but i did run so maybe i won't get fat just yet.
    i have a f'd up shoulder and poison ivy all over my legs, i'm having a great day!!

now all you need is a huge anvil to drop out the sky and land on you and your "roadrunner" style cartoon day will be complete.

meep meep.

The exact same thing happened to me last week. Doing DB shoulder press. Not sure if it came out of joint, but something caused my left arm to just fall and almost drop the weight. No pain until the next day, I took a week off from any kind of lifting and everything seems fine now.

the golgi tendon organ reflex will make you suddenly drop a weight. if it measures too much stress in a tendon it will simply relax the muscle without so much as asking you if its ok to do so. its a reflex mechanism. not saying thats what it was but its an possible explanation. could also be a nerve impingment / bursa compression at the top of the arc shutting down the muscle doing the movement for a moment. look up "painful arc syndrome" in shoulder.

Augs.

I have a bit of problems with my left shoulder. Not so much my shoulder, more on the part of my tricep right near the armpit. As a result I have a lot of trouble training certain parts of my shoulders.

Sometime it will give out like that even if I do a really light weight (less than 10 pounds)

my shoulder feels 874651x better today than it did yesterday, but it isn't totally better yet. yesterday it hurt like a bastard any way i moved it, today it barely hurts and only when i move it certain ways. hell yeah to biofreeze and aleve, unless it gets worse as the day goes on, then i'll be pissed.