Thread: My Diagnosis

MACHINE

My Diagnosis

I had my appointment and the news was about what I expected, with a little more bad info than I anticipated. As I expected, I have a disk herniation at C7 in my neck. What I didn't expect was the diagnosis of several bone spurs, which don't appear to have any effect on me right now, and the doctor also said it looks like my cervical spine is in the early stages of arthritis. Overall, I got the general diagnosis of degenerative disk disease. It sounds a lot worse than it is, DDD is just a loose general term that means "your neck is f*cked up."

I start physical therapy in a couple weeks and will take prednisone in the mean time. He's approved my going to the gym and using light weights, which was a bit of a relief. There's a 50-50 chance I'll need surgery, which is fine with me. 95% of the people who get the surgery I may need recover from their symptoms 100%. Although spinal surgery is something to avoid, I'd rather fix the problem than put a band-aid on it and hope it doesn't get worse.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Damn, that sucks man. Hopefully PT will take care of it so you can keep on lifting.

Ahhhhhh thats bad dude, good luck

This has got me paranoid now... Any preventative measures against neck disc herniation??

Hey dude, hope all gets better soon. Take it easy on the weights...

MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    Ahhhhhh thats bad dude, good luck

This has got me paranoid now... Any preventative measures against neck disc herniation??
    I'll let you know if I learn any during PT. The doc said that genetics plays the largest role in DDD, which often results in herniations, but herniations in healthy vertebrae usually happen from a sudden shock to the spine or extreme excess down-pressure. He actually recommended against doing squats and deadlifts, and although I don't want to believe him, it makes perfect sense, at least for someone like me, with the genetics for DDD and squatting/deadlifting over 500 lbs during my years of lifting. I still believe that football was the main culprit of my situation. I always led with my head on the football field and layed some viscious hits on backs and receivers, often tweaking my neck in the process. Regular sudden-shock-compression is bad for anyone, regardless of their genetics.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Cool, i dont think I'll be squatting 500lbs anytime soon lol

Hope you have a full recovery

Quote Originally Posted by gino
    I still believe that football was the main culprit of my situation. I always led with my head on the football field and layed some viscious hits on backs and receivers, often tweaking my neck in the process. Regular sudden-shock-compression is bad for anyone, regardless of their genetics.
    That sounds more plausible. Hope you get better soon.