The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

squat stance width

Hi, I was wondering how wide people did their squats? Also how far apart do you place your hands on the bar? I currently started going a little wider than shoulder width and have been able to go lower than parallel. However, I wanted to know if going narrower would work my quads more.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I squat with my heels about 10 inches apart. I would say the narrower stance definitely puts a lot of emphasis on my quads. Not to mention I can get very deep.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Here's another question I have, do you guys point you're toes forward when you squat, or are the a little out to the side?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned
    slydeflex: A more narrow stance will emphasize the quads more, but depending on your flexibility you probably won't be able to go as deep. I know my flexibility is awful, so I stand quite wide.

manveet: pointed out

My toes always point the same direction as my knees. So if my legs are wider, my toes point farther out. If my stance is narrow enough, then my toes do point forward.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    for me its a normal stance which is kinda wide, its wider than my shoulders, using the stance i do allows me to get themost power out of my legs and i can move the most weight and get below parrallel.

as far as toes it depends on how tight my hips are that day, some days i can keep my toes straight i can get to paralell and get alot of power if not staright they are pointed out just a tad not to much tho..
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    slydeflex: A more narrow stance will emphasize the quads more, but depending on your flexibility you probably won't be able to go as deep. I know my flexibility is awful, so I stand quite wide.
    I find that for most this is generally the opposite. It's much easier to go deep with a narrow stance. That's why when people learn to go deep, they must do it gradually each week, as the flexibility is poor in the hip flexors and groin area.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    Here's another question I have, do you guys point you're toes forward when you squat, or are the a little out to the side?
    Here is a little info from Dr. Squat:

) The quadriceps muscles can contract more efficiently when the feet are pointing slightly outward . They should NEVER point straight ahead. If you squat with a very wide stance, your adductors tend to assist the quads. This can result in stress to the medial collateral ligament, abnormal cartilage loading, and improper patellar tracking.
    Knees

Research involving EMG has shown no significant difference in quadriceps activation between narrow and wide stances (12). Adductor activation has been shown to increase with a wide stance (12).
    Stance

A lot more info on proper squatting available here: Dr. Squat and here: strenghcats

A lot of reading to do but well worth it.

melt
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Nice info melted. Makes total sense.

Ive seen vids of powerlifters squatting with stances so wide i couldnt actually believe they werent dislocating their hips. I guess they do it becasue at the weights they are pushing up, the more help they can get the better (wide stance means less distance to push up from bottom, also got the adductor group of muscles getting in on the action).