I had my appointment and the news was about what I expected, with a little more bad info than I anticipated. As I expected, I have a disk herniation at C7 in my neck. What I didn't expect was the diagnosis of several bone spurs, which don't appear to have any effect on me right now, and the doctor also said it looks like my cervical spine is in the early stages of arthritis. Overall, I got the general diagnosis of degenerative disk disease. It sounds a lot worse than it is, DDD is just a loose general term that means "your neck is f*cked up."

I start physical therapy in a couple weeks and will take prednisone in the mean time. He's approved my going to the gym and using light weights, which was a bit of a relief. There's a 50-50 chance I'll need surgery, which is fine with me. 95% of the people who get the surgery I may need recover from their symptoms 100%. Although spinal surgery is something to avoid, I'd rather fix the problem than put a band-aid on it and hope it doesn't get worse.