Thread: Clueless and Overwhelmed

Clueless and Overwhelmed

I'm a newbie to lifting and fitness in general. I'm a nineteen year old male and I'm pretty confused as to what is a positive way of working out and what is negative. I just finished my first year of university and instead of experiencing the typical "frosh fifteen" (a weight gain of fifteen pounds over the year), I experienced a "frosh negative forty five". I did this by drinking a lot of water and eating right. I didn't even realize it until I came home for the summer and everybody was commenting on my improved look.

I'm not satisfied as I didn't even see the loss as it was occuring and I still am overweight and not nearly as strong as I'd like to be. So while my questions will be a bit unorthadox considering this is a site about getting bigger and not a bit smaller but much stronger...bear with me please.

So I'm 6'1 and probably 220lbs. I'd like to get down to about 200-205. I still want to be a bigger guy but definitely more defined and less flabby. If I'm in the wrong place, if anybody would point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Like I said, I'm a complete newbie. So I'll just ask some questions and hope for positive response.

-What is a PWO shake? ie: ingredients and how often should it be taken?
    -How many squats, push ups, crunches should one be doing in order to not "overtrain"?
    -What is "overtraining"?
    -Is it OK to do cardio every day of the week? ie: run/jog for a half hour one day, bike for a half hour the next and so forth?

Don't laugh. I'm surrounded by unfit people trying to tell me how to do these things and to be quite honest, I just don't trust them. So I figured I'd ask the people that are doing it and have been doing it for a long time.

Thanks a lot for the help.

--CubsFan

Determined
    Well you are definitely in the right place. What you should do is utilize the search feature of the forums to answer the load of questions you probably have, there is TONS of great info/advice on this forum, it was not until I started coming here that I began to make significant progress. A PWO shake is a "post workout shake" aka protein shake. Overtraining is simply working out too much and not giving your body the time it needs to rest and recover. Cardio everyday is ok for your goals (losing weight). As for your other questions, start searching. Welcome.
    Paul | 24 | 6'0"
    212 lbs

Awesome! I was hoping for this type of response. Manually searching and reading is probably a lot better than getting five or ten different answers and having to question even more. I appreciate the info on cario especially. I'm glad that it's alright to do it each day because I've finally got the time to do it.

Thanks for the info on a PWO shake as well. I googled it numerous times and just came up with stuff regarding when it should be taken and how you can implement it into a food plan. At least I know what it is and how it's used.

Thanks again!

--Cubsfan

Before we all get into a debate about us setting his goals for him he already said that he not only wants to lose body fat but get stronger. So yes, weight lifting will help.

Ok, so lets get started. Overtraining is when you put stresses on your body that it doesn't have the time to recover from. Basicly when you use a muscle you rip the top layer off of it and it has to heal. Scar actually would be a better definition because it will then heal and get bigger and stronger. If you tear the first layer off before it's had a chance to reach this point you're doing more harm then good. It's like picking at a scab over and over and over again. You don't give it a chance to heal.

As far as how many of each you should be doing, well thats kind of up to the person to figure out for themself. Basicly go in and do what you can and if you do more (weight or reps or whatever) the next time then you're not over training.

also overtraining can hurt your nervous system. If you work to failure your muscles may recover but the rest of you wont. Get a good amount of sleep and eat right and you'll be fine. I know I might be scaring you here but don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds. Overtraining won't kill you or anything, you can get injuries from it but at your stage in the game (just starting out) you shouldn't have to worry about it.

As far as cardio everyday I don't know. I think it really depends on how much. I do a cardio warm up before lifting and do a bit of cardio on my off days as well.

Edit : I hope I did good, if not someone will correct me.
    Last edited by wrestlemaniac; 06-20-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Overtraining is a problem when you are already into bodybuilding for a while...you shouldnt have a problem with it if you are just starting out unless you workout 5 hours a day all week

But yeah, this is the best place to be if you want to get bigger and stronger, search around and READ READ READ even when you dont want to, and then put it into practice

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but lifting weights is one of the best ways to lose bodyfat. It'll get your heart rate up and it'll give you more muscle and the more muscle you have the easier it is to lose weight.