Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much more do you lift every week?

decease, RIP

How much more do you lift every week?

well?

Im glad if I lift 1-2 reps more every week. Right now im losing bf and gaining weight. Its going real slow tho. If you all tell me you are able to lift alot more each week, im gonna start eating more, thats why I asked the Q.

1 - 2 more reps a week doesn't sound slow to me. I would be happy with that

Re: How much more do you lift every week?

Originally posted by Big_Brick
    If you all tell me you are able to lift alot more each week, im gonna start eating more
    eat more anyway

1-2 reps is a decent gain tho
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

hmmm.....i aim for 10lbs (compound) or 2.5 - 5lbs (iso) for that last set each week.

oh - i do 12-10-8s, for most lifts.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

1 rep more than the previous week
    upper chest freak

you aim for a 10lb increase on compound exercises, every week??

if you met that you'd be like increasing your lifts by 520lbs a year

*flake thinks he might have missunderstood*
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

Usually about 5 extra pounds with the same reps, The odd time I'll up it by as much as 20 pounds
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

well...yeah i might not have explained it good....

a.) i take 2 weeks recovery for upper body....so each week i either train chest/tris or Back/Bis....

what i do on compounds is do 12 at a weight i know i'm good at, 10 at 5 lbs higher, then 8 at 10lbs higher.

the next time i work that body part.....i'll try to do 12 at last weeks 10Rep, then 10 at last weeks 8rep, and then go for another 5lb increase.

now...it doesn';t always work this way...which is why i say i AIM for a 10lb increase.....but i can usually at least get a 5lb increase out of it.

sides...I'm still lifting sissy weights compared to y'all, so it's not that impressive, really.

I usually do double progression. Say for bench press, I'll start out with a new weight at about 6 reps. I try to add 2-3 reps each time I lift (every 6 days) until I get up to 12 reps. Then I'll add weight and start over.

Somewhere in Beyond Brawn it's said that adding one rep at the same weight is the equivalent of adding about 3% to the original weight at the same previous rep count. McRobert suggests staying at the same rep count and adding micro-weights each session. He's a big fan of "Little Gems"- little 1/4 to 1/2 pound plates. I don't use them and I'm not going to spam here, so I'm not going to state where he says you can get them from.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Tryska
    hmmm.....i aim for 10lbs (compound) or 2.5 - 5lbs (iso) for that last set each week.

oh - i do 12-10-8s, for most lifts.
    Ya right???????
    Can't never did nothin( dedicated to my father)

depends on what im doing, if im doing db work for a big muscle group such as chest, i aim to go either up to the next DB weight (5lbs) and i fi dont feel comfy doing that, then i aim for at least 2-3 more reps with the highest weight i can. For smaller muscle groups i seem to be makin steady 5lb/week increases, but the same applies, if i dont feel comfy going up i keep the same weight and insist on a few extra reps... Im a little tired so if this doesnt make sense, sorry....*yawn*

17 year old loser
    You all have to be joking. If some of what you say is true, then I should be using the 300 lb dumbells now for bench press.

17 year old loser
    Or using a couple geo metros for that matter...lol

10-20lbs a year on a lift is good when you get advanced... otherwise everyone would be Ed Coan

I can usually get 5-10lbs increase on my chest&back, 2.5-5lbs for the arms, and 10-20lbs on the legs. This is on my main working set. When they start leveling off i know its time for a new routine. Its usually the little muscles that are not keeping up with the big ones that cause it to level, at least for me.

Damn, I wish I could increase 10 lbs a week on my bench.

Anyone seen little magnetic weights that you can put on weights to add weight very slowly. These weigths are like 1lb and below I think. I haven't seen them anywhere.

When you increase weight quickly every week, like 10 lbs or so; isn't that mostly just neurological adaptations?

It's better to increase slowly. (So I've read)

mine's probably still beginner's gains....who knows. Keep in mind for me it is 10lbs SOMETIMES for only 1 set. It's my goal to push out that set at that weight. Doesn't mean I always reach it....but it's a method that's worked for me so far....

How long you been training Tryska?

regularly? a year and a half, now i think? maybe a little less.....i've lifted here and there since high school..but never on an organized split of any kind though......i didn't get serious and regular with it til last year sometime....

I looked at my journal and I did the math. In 4.5 months, for shoulder press Db, I have gained 25 lbs, which I am more than happy with. That means I have made a gain of 1.4lbs per week. So technically it will take me 14-15 weeks to add another 20lbs.

I usually can increase my usual reps of 8, 6 to 9,7 each week. I'm really happy with that because once I achieve 9,7 I increase the weight by a total of 5lbs and then do 6,4 reps. And the cycle continues there after.
    Last edited by Darcy Tucker; 10-18-2001 at 02:22 PM.

1 or 2 reps is great.

My weekly progress depends on a bunch of factors, including training protocol, specific lift, current diet, etc.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    1-2 reps is "normal" for me as well...but "normal" weeks are mixed with those weeks where my sleep is crappy, I haven't eaten as well as I should have, work/stress/ etc. gets in the way...

Over the summer, when I wasn't working, and workouts/food were the only things I really HAD to do each day, my gains were steady.

Now that the semester has started, hockey season has started, coaching has started, etc...my results are not quite the same. But that's life as I've chosen to live it, I guess

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

For the last 4 months (give or take) I've progressed 5 pounds per week on the squat, 5 on deads, and the last 8 weeks has been +5 lbs to bench every week. If I feel form slipping away I'll back down a bit, though.

Overall I've had steady gains since late May or so.... (since the start of my journal, I guess).

I'm not complaining.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results