The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: next routine

next routine

This new routine I plan on starting next week is very similar to what I did the time before the one I'm doing. The goal is to target type I muscle fiber type to target my long endurance abilities, plus gain some strength in the process. All about 4 working sets of 15-20 reps. Probably around 70% of strength. Also cutting down a little on calories. Everything is to be done fast (or should I go slow for endurance?) but in good form. Here it is:

Monday
    Benchpress
    Dummbelpress
    Curls

Wednesday
    Deadlift
    Boat rows

Friday
    Do a minute or two of the stationary bike for blood circulation in legs.
    Parallel squat
    Legpress
    Speed crunches (30-40 reps)
    Leg lifts on bench

Alright, let me have it with your opinions and facts, I've posted this to hear from you guys because I have plenty of respect for the members of this site.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Endurance for what?

I don't like the idea of worrying about which fibers youare targeting - train towrds a specific goal, and alter your training as your goals change.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Endurance for what?

I don't like the idea of worrying about which fibers youare targeting - train towrds a specific goal, and alter your training as your goals change.
    muscle endurance, one routine for strength, one to compact muscles and increase endurance. that's how i've been doing it for about 9 months now.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

super, I think Paul was asking why u'd like to increase muscle endurance vs increase size or gain strength.
    Do you participate in endurance sports?

no, but i think that i need better endurance, as i'm pretty sure that most of my fibers are fast twitch, and i can't run for long periods of time. plus it's a really good change from the small reps and sets that i have been doing. don't get me wrong, i love to train for strength, but i like to be compact as well. there are lots of guys bigger than me who are weaker, so i see that size doesn't equal strength. the answer is pretty much that i want to get stronger during one routine, and then build up endurance and compact my muscles during the next, and then alternate them. geoff and paul: does this sound like a good deal to you, for the goal of having an excellent body and being freakishly strong? or am i just pissing in the wind?

My Exploits

I just throw in a last set of 20 reps after 2-3 low rep bulking sets, that will do more for both types of fibers. You tire out your explosive strength muscles first with the low reps, then when you do 15-20 reps until failure you really hit every last fiber of that muscle. I've made good gains when I've done that.
    ex:
    275x5
    300x2
    285x4
    225x15-20

And for the type of endurance you probably want, you need to jog or ride a bike. Jogging is the best IMHO. I WISH I COULD STILL DO IT! (got a bum leg from a car accident)
    Last edited by chris6969; 06-18-2004 at 02:05 PM.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

I like chris's idea!

or you might like something like HST?
    it is basically a series of 3 week cycles, the first being 15 reps, the second 10 the third 5.

so you'll be getting endurance, then size, then strength training.
    You could knock out the middle 10 rep cycle, so you'd just get the strength/endurace parts in.

You could even adjust the rep ranges to something like 20 & 3 for a wider range....and even adjust the workouts from a 2 week cycle to 4 or 5.

If ur unfamiliar with HST the website offers plenty of information on the how's and why's of how they (Bryan Haycock) came up with the routine.

I'm not sure what kinda results u'd get...but if ur goals are endurance and strength then that might be the ticket. Although people with a background in physiology might offer you a better answer (paul and augs)