The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    I lift weights in the morning on an empty stomach in order to burn more fat. Is this OK? Thanks.....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hmmm.. I would rather get a meal in first, even if it was a small fix such as some bananas etc...

OK if you are doing cardio then most say its fine, but if it was me and I want to train with intensity then I wuold need food before...

I donlt train in the mornings but when I train at night sometimes I have had my last meal early and I have been 3 hours without food. About half way through I had to start eating my post workout as I was getting dizzy !!!

So if you are going to train heavy get some food in !

Wannabebig Member
    I take Zenadrine before workouts and this gets me pumped and intense!!!!

snanthavong,
    Lifting weights DOES NOT burn fat at all. It works on carbohydrates for energy. If there is nothing there, then I must say the body will move to converting proteins to glycogen for energy in lifting. Do what Hulk says. Have some food an hour or more before you lift, this will help you have a much better workout. Hope this helps some.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I have been lifting in the morning on an empty stomach for a few months now. My strength has gone up and I feel fine throughout the workout. All I take before my workout is Dymetedrine Xtreme and a lot of water. I feel bloated and full when I eat before my workout. I prefer lifting in the morning now.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    Latman,

Have you seen any muscle gains???? I've always thought lifting weights assisted in the fat burning process...that's why I do it in the morning on an empty stomach.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I've been getting stronger and my weight has gone up. Just make sure you get enough calories the rest of the day to support growth.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Spideyongear: weight training is probably the best exercise to loose body fat. It builds muscle which needs calories and it is so intense it revs up your metabolism for hours.

The amount of fat burned during a workout is minimal compared to a cardio workout but your metabolsim stays elevated for much longer.

Ronan,
    I won't say anything except that... that information is based on Scientific Fact! If I go on I'll just get myself into trouble...

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Lifting weights burns calories. Surely if you are already restricting calories, the further reduction in calories would help burn some bodyfat...?...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

bone crusher
    I would agree w/ ronan that lifting weights does burn fat for the reasons he discussed. Also, spidey is right that lifting does require glucose but in the form of muscle glycogen which is rapidly metabolized to give atp and replenish creatine phosphate (this happens during your rest in between sets). Once anaerobic acitivity ceases, however, the supply of glycogen is no longer tapped, but as ronan said you need fuel postworkout and fat is tapped for this purpose.

snanthavong- if you feel like your getting in good lifts and are energetic then your glycogen levels are probably sufficient for your workout.

Lifting weight doesn't burn fat directly. Lifting is anaerobic, which means you will burn carbs and muscle for energy. You burn muscle after glycogen is low, not fat. Fat metabolism is aerobic, which is what happens after your workouts. Lifting burns fat because it speeds ur metabolism. After your workout, your metabolism is fast, and thats when you burn fat.
    "Pumpin ain't easy"

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I dont know much science, but when I run for an hour I feel drained. However, when I lift for 45 minutes or so, when I walk into the locker room I feel as if I've lost ten pounds! I feel like I can run into the parking lot and flip cars over! Even if I went into the gym not feeling up to the activity, the mere act of working out gets me going for the rest of the day. I know that it elevates my energy level and metabolism for a long period of time and cardio...just...doesn't.

Oh yeah, I never workout unless I've got some carbs in me. Bagel+natty, a banana, a few pints something like that.

It's very simple.Weight training is the only way to build mucle & more muscles=faster metabolism.(as Ronan said).Cardio speeds up your metabolism too but doesn't help in building muscle,while it burns some muscle and the result is: less muscles=slower metabolism.

I'm curious to how much your metabolism increases within the span of a day by doing cardio or weight training first thing in the morning.

For instance ... if I do cardio in the morning, will my BMR increase by 50 calories? 200 calories? What is the measurable amount that it increases?

I'm sure there are some scientific formulas that would demonstrate this, I just haven't seen them ... can someone point me in the right direction?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

From what I hear, it's not a measurable increase in metabolism like that. I mean, it varies SO MUCH depending on the kind of exercise you do, what kind of shape you're in to begin with, etc.

The good thing about lifting, for me, is that it's not just burning calories. The repairing of tissue, the increased blood flow all over, the fact that every ounce I gain will burn more calories, etc., all makes it so much more satisfying, and better for keeping the eight pack over spring break than cardio. If i want to cut, I actually do a modified "German Volume Training" type workout. (I don't follow the routines to the letter, but I use the philosophy) I mean, I basically do some high-intensity cardio before I start lifting, which gets my heart rate up, and I keep the heart rate up while I lift by supersetting, doing jumping jacks, etc. This FIRES ME UP. Good lord, when I do this, i can eat like a horse and still seem to shed fat like nobody's business.

Hmm, what you said belial sounds like what a guy i saw prepare for a contest do. And man was he ripped! he went on to win his class and the overall title. Sounds like a good fat burning strategy to me!
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -