Thread: going from 70 to 105 DB press in 9 weeks

going from 70 to 105 DB press in 9 weeks

thomas jane who played punisher went from 70 to 105 pound DB press in 9 weeks. his leg press for 10 reps went from 550 to 1050 pounds. this is how he did it.

Monday - four sets of 10 reps each:
    pec deck, 15-degree-incline dumbbell press, barbell bench press, dip, barbell curl, dumbbell curl, reverse curl

Tuesday - four sets of 10 to 15 reps each:
    leg extension, leg press, parallel squat
    three long sets of walking lunges
    four sets of 12 to 15 reps each:
    standing calf raise, seated calf raise

Thursday - 10 to 15 reps per set:
    lat pulldown (three sets), front pulldown (three sets), neutral-grip one-arm row (four sets), widegrip seated row (three sets)
    10 reps per set:
    lying tri extension (three sets), triceps pushdown (four sets), v-bar triceps pushdown (three sets), reverse triceps extension (four sets)

Friday - 10 reps per set:
    dumbbell shrug (four sets), barbell shrug (two sets), dumbbell seated military press (four sets), lateral raise (three sets), reverse fly (three sets), lying hamstring curl (three sets), one-leg hamstring curl (three sets), straight-leg deadlift (four sets)

calorie intake: 2,000 to 2,500 a day

the catch: each workout was performed twice a day. once in the morning. then again 5 hours later.
    ---------------------

is this possible or is thomas jane a freak of nature? i wish i could go up DB pressing that much in one year. heck ill be thankful if i went up 5 pounds for DB press in one month. he did this all in 9 weeks. his trainer was john maclaren and this is what he did to look good for the movie punisher.
    Last edited by T_Chapman; 06-16-2004 at 01:23 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I wonder how much this guys weighs if he could be big enough to hit 1050 pound leg presses and 105db presses at only 2000-2500 calories a day?

Do that voodoo that he do
    So, he trained in a high volume, low-ish intensity, non-CNS-developmentally manner with low calories and still managed to make huge gains of strength in a short period of time?

Interesting.

I'd liked to have watched him.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Wannabebig Member
    the catch: each workout was performed twice a day. once in the morning. then again 5 hours later.
    ---------------------
    This is a terrible idea. The exact same workout, two times in the same day? Why would that help at all?

The guy isnt even that big, not big enough to warrant that kind of leg strength anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezmason
    The guy isnt even that big, not big enough to warrant that kind of leg strength anyway.
    Still, his strength gains are more than impressive. Sounds like the guy is chemically enhanced.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Yeah, i'd agree there...

let's face it money, time, coaching and chemical assistance are no object to actors, their job is to get big ready for a film. If someone paid me a big wedge of cash to train everyday I'd be a big strong mofo too, stead I cope with work, jobs around the house, friends, hobbies etc so all I can do is the best time will allow and be proud of that.

my rant for the day.
    Crazy looking intimidatiing meathead with no neck - MadFistBT

hes 5'10 and if you saw the movie which was really good hes pretty big.

he was 190. Still, 9 weeks and close to 500 lbs increase on the leg press sounds a bit shady. 1000 lb leg press for 10-15 reps, I doubt it, but stanger things have happened.

Hmmmm, im still skeptical. He doesnt suit the role at all though, for a start he isnt big or mean enough lookin to play The Punisher.

hmmmm.... something smells fishy. I'm not completely counting it out but man thats some pretty big gains.
    Last edited by Drheckler; 06-17-2004 at 10:55 AM.
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

Here's his workout interview. lame

What was your workout routine for The Punisher? It was about six months of brutal training, twice a day at the gym, a Navy Seal guy would come over to my house and take me to the firing range, firing live rounds down the range, primary and secondary weapons. Learning edge weapons training, one man military incursions, hand to hand combat, Filipino martial arts as well as Israeli martial arts. It was brutal.

Twice a day, shouldn’t you be Arnold size? If I had enough time.

But how do you keep from getting too massively big? Right, that’s important. That takes years. That professional bodybuilding stuff, you start that when you’re 16-years-old and it takes years. You can’t do that in six months.

What was your diet? It was a lot of protein and they put me on some special opus one diet. I did a liquid diet while we were shooting where I drank all my meals. It was kind of brutal.

What was the hardest food to give up? All of it. I had to give up all food. Cheesburgers.
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Drheckler
    Here's his workout interview. lame

Twice a day, shouldn’t you be Arnold size?
    Seems like the person interviewing him was really educated in this area. As if working out 15 times a day instead of 1 will make you huge.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

The guy was untrained and no one knows his ROM on these exercises. I would say it's believable, and I also don't think he was 190. I did read the Men's Health that came from, and I don't believe they ever mentioned his weight.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    The guy was untrained and no one knows his ROM on these exercises. I would say it's believable, and I also don't think he was 190. I did read the Men's Health that came from, and I don't believe they ever mentioned his weight.
    There was a small article in muscle and fitness where they said he gained 30 lbs. He went from 160 to 190.

In the cover story from Men's Health, it mostly sounded like they claimed he dropped bodyfat. Who really knows.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

i have his complete diet if you want me to post it.

Someone mentioned that article and said that he lost bf an inches around his waist. Like you said BCC, no one "really" knows. Every mag massages the story to fit their needs and its rare when its the truth.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 06-17-2004 at 04:28 PM.

bs, i remember seeing his legs in the movie, he had no muscle there what-so-ever, no way could he be leg pressing 1000 pounds. He was 6'0 175-185 @ 6-8% bf.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

Quote Originally Posted by John0101
    bs, i remember seeing his legs in the movie, he had no muscle there what-so-ever, no way could he be leg pressing 1000 pounds. He was 6'0 175-185 @ 6-8% bf.
    lol looks can be deceiving. i saw this deadlift clip of this guy in like the 70s. he looked so bony and he was deadlifting like 700 pounds. i dont know his name but some hardcore bodybuilding fans might. he was well known at this other board i used to go to.

Well, if some guy said to a pretty much unknown actor that he was going to get the star role in blockbuster film that could make his career and he'd get a huge pay off from it and all he had to do was look the part I don't think he'd be against the idea of using substances to help him get there. He's not going to be competing or anything so he wont' be tested and he's got more to gain than others that use it.