The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Rotator Cuff Injury from Bench?

I've noticed that I've been getting shoulder pain while benching. This was probably due to my old form of not tucking in my elbows, flaring them out a bit, and its finally caught up to me. Now I'm tucking in my elbows, but its a bit too late, and I'm feeling some pain. It started up a couple weeks ago, when I bring the bar down I feel a sharp pain in my right shoulder, is this my rotator cuff that is hurting me? Did I just strain it, or did I actually tear it?

When doing normal everyday activities, my shoulders feel normal. I took a week off the bench to give my shoulder a break, I was going to bench light today, but I felt that sharp sting in my shoulder during warmup and decided to stop. I've done a test where I reach behind my back with my right arm, and try to reach my upper back from below. I'll feel a sharp mild stinging pain in my shoulder, but I can't seem tolocate the exact spot.

Any ideas on what's wrong with my right shoulder, and what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hammin'
    Don't go down so low with the bench press. I felt a similar problem brewing and decided to only go down about 2 inches from my chest. Problem solved...
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Banned
    i had the same exact problem..

i really started to get sore shoulders touching chest on barbell bench..

so now i only go about 1-2 inches off the chest, and the shoulder pain has subsided.

and anybody who says this is not working the chest fully... my chest is more sore after benching this way than even when i was going all the way to chest. It forces you to really take slow reps, and focus on the negative... keeping constant tension on the pecs.

hammin'
    I think it really depends on your body... I have long arms and I think that puts my shoulders in a compromising position when I lower fully to my chest.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

I had that problem for years untill i started using very strick form and doing bench press with one board on my chest. Its only about 1 1/2 less rom. I also ice my shoulder after bench and shoulder work,

It depends on the person but it also depends on where the bar is coming down to and where it's being pushed up. I find the if the bar is higher than the sternum, on the eccentric and concentric parts of the lift, my shoulders begin to tighten more. If aim below the sternum, I feel less stress in my shoulders.

Flaring out your elbows will also stress out your shoulders as well. As far as ROM goes, I think it can vary. I do a full ROM and haven't had problems until recently. However, the injury I sustained wasn't because of ROM, but rather elbow position and bar path (to high, elbows flared).

I'd say take longer than a week. My shoulder hurts the most after benching, dips and squat (arms get rotated back and tweaks the shoulder). I'm planning on taking a month off, no shoulder work (no bench, squats, some back work). Sucks but it's the only way it'll get better. The plus side to this is I can now work on upping my DL. That should be fun.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 06-20-2004 at 09:06 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Thanks for the advice guys,

I'm thinking about taking 2-3 weeks off now. I don't want to make my shoulder get any worst.

I hurt my shoulder doing Heavy negatives. I had the same kind of pain.

Whatever you do don't go get a cortizone shot in it. For me, all it did was mask the pain for a week or so. I probably did more damage to it.

I brought my grip in( a little wider than a close grip) and the pain was gone. I did this for around 2 months and my shoulder is back to normal now.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

People say to bring your grip out. But you would think with it inm more narrow it tuck your elbows down to feet more.
    I used to bench with pibky on ring. Couple years ago tried wider didn't like it. This week I tried middle finger on ring. Give it one more shot. I know my form needs help.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I think you should always bring the bar to the chest, but with good form, which is in my opinion with an arched back and the shoulders are tucked backward. Grip should be closer that what you see most people do. Your elbows should be tucked but you don't need to think too much about it.