The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Standing Press?

Banned

Standing Press?

Is Standing Press worth it? What are some good forms of it? Whenever i do it my back kills. like pain not just sore. what muscles does it work?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    the standing military press is probably one of the most basic exercises ever, even more than the bench press.

only thing i can say is dont lean back to far and keep your abs tight to help support your lower back. and if you feel yourself failing early dont be afraid to get a small boost from your legs to help drive the weight up.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Sounds like you're going too heavy and/or you have inadequately developed stabilizer muscles for the exercise. How long have you been lifting and what weight/rep scheme are you using?

melt
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Banned
    Ive been lifting for three years. For standing Press I do 3*10. Most other exercises I do 5*8 or 5*10. I can handle the weight infact I think i need to raise the weight. Its just my back kills me after I finish.

You could try it seated.

You need to strengthen your lower back.

I would also recommend lower reps. The shorter set duration should help your back.

You could also concentrate on standing more upright even if it means using less weight. This will decrease the pressure on your back.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    what exercises are for the lower back?

deadlifts
    good-mornings
    hyperextensions

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

your abdominals and lower back support each other. if one isn't quite as strong as the other, the stronger one has to take on all the stress. and tightening your abs would help too, like BigCorey75 said.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

What's the point of doing it standing? If you're not doing push press for power lifting, why not just sit down? That way you can concentrate on your shoulders and not worry about this lower back/abs business.
    Last edited by Doobs; 06-21-2004 at 07:30 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    What's the point of doing it standing? If you're not doing push press for power lifting, why not just sit down? That way you can concentrate on your shoulders and not worry about this lower back/abs business.
    You still need to stabilize the weight with your abs/back even if seated. Plus if you don't have a seated press rack/bench handy, it can be difficult to set up for lifting, whereas you can clean and press a BB up anywhere you have the floor space.

Besides, if he's getting back pain from this movement, it is indicating a weakness that needs addressing...