The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    I wanna be big

Easier to define Deadlift...

Is the Deadlift exactly like the squat except that your using your hands and picking the weight up curl style? Butt out, back straight all applies?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nah, it works your entire upper body more than your legs as with squat you can go as low as you want, with deads only until the bar touches the floor. Deads are more for lower back but hit most of the upper body due to supporting such a huge weight. With squats legs take most of the weight.

one thing I never understood (while we're making the comparison) is why squats hit thw quads and deads hit the hams. Anyone know? Anyway, thats the main difference (along with the upper body thing).

no, or only one exercise would be popular. plus i feel it in all diff. places when i do the two.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    one thing I never understood (while we're making the comparison) is why squats hit thw quads and deads hit the hams. Anyone know?
    I think it's the motion of straightening out your waist that works the hamstrings. If you do straightlegged deads and keep your back straight, it primarily works your hamstrings.

Under Construction
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    one thing I never understood (while we're making the comparison) is why squats hit thw quads and deads hit the hams. Anyone know? Anyway, thats the main difference (along with the upper body thing).
    Squats actually hits the glutes, hips and hams quite a bit. They really do not hit the quads that well unless you go with a close stance. Front squats are much better for hitting the quads than back squats.
    Just one guy's opinion.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    ****, put some heavy enough ass weight on squat hit every single muscle in your legs, when i squat i feel it in my hips and glutes alot when i lower myself along with my hams, but when i begin to go back up i feel my quads and eevrything contract very forcefully, so i feel all of my thighs doing the squatting
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Jezmason
    Nah, it works your entire upper body more than your legs as with squat you can go as low as you want, with deads only until the bar touches the floor. Deads are more for lower back but hit most of the upper body due to supporting such a huge weight. With squats legs take most of the weight.
    No it doesn't. The primary movers are the hams, quads, butt. You upper body is just there to support (hang on to) the weight.

The reason deads work hams more is where the load is. When you squat, the bar is coming straight down so when done properly, the muscles that will move the weight the most are quads. With deads, the weight is in front, being pulled up. To get into the upright position, the hams/butt will generate more force to move the weight.

If you were to use dumbells, at your side, and pick them off the floor, you'd feel more stress in your quads than if you put them in front of you and picked them up (hams/butt).

Edit: Let me clarify that i don't consider the DL a lower body only lift (works traps, eretors, forearms). I just think it's stresses the lower body more than upper since the lower body is what moves the lift.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 06-18-2004 at 11:00 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2 words Glutimax Maximus!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

4 words - Ass To The Grass
    Crazy looking intimidatiing meathead with no neck - MadFistBT

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    id become to consider Deadlifts of anykind to be a lower body exercise because it all starts with the drive of the legs to get the weight off the floor, And when ever i do any deadlifts i feel alot of work in my legs. When i do conventional deads i feel them alot on my lower back when i straighten out, but the initial drive off the floor is feel my quads and glues, then to assit my lower back i feel my hams also

in sumo deads i almost feel none but very little in my lower back, primarily in my hips glutes and glues, along with the quads and hams towards the lockout

SLDL
    i feel it all in my lower back glutes and hams, the same goes for Good Mornings

Trap Bar deadlifts, i feel almost all exclusively in my legs because its like doing a squat with the weight at your sides, i used to love doing these in HS but now it is damn near imposible to find a trap diamond bar, gyms really need to invest more in these they are a great piece of equipment.

this is why ive now came to make deadlifts a lower body exercise in my routines.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

what exactly is a sumo dead?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Footballer
    A wide stance, kinda of like a sumo wrestler.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    No it doesn't. The primary movers are the hams, quads, butt. You upper body is just there to support (hang on to) the weight.
    I respectfully disagree max.

Perhaps we use different form, but I feel deads primarily in my lower back (spinal erectors) and traps.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

A deadlift is when the barbell is on the floor, and you end up standing upright with the barbell in your hands. Do this the easiest way possible and you have the best deadlift

There are good articles about this. I think I posted a detailed article on Deadlift form once. do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    I respectfully disagree max.

Perhaps we use different form, but I feel deads primarily in my lower back (spinal erectors) and traps.
    Conventional or sumo? I've done both and the feel more trap use in conventional than sumo. Lower back is the same in both. I've never really "felt" my erectors working during either.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I'd have to agree with "the Saint" here. Deadlifts (for me) tend to be a back exercise. That's where I feel them the most.

By back do you mean lower back or lats? I have never felt anything in my lats really, but I do feel it in my lower back, glutes and hams mainly.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    By back do you mean lower back or lats? I have never felt anything in my lats really, but I do feel it in my lower back, glutes and hams mainly.
    Same here. The deadlift is a movement that's going to work pretty much every muscle in the body, so I can understand people disagreeing on where they "feel" it.

I'm just not feeling anything except pure stress. About the only thing I'm really aware of when DL'ing is the pain caused by gripping.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    Right from the spinal erectors to my traps. Pretty much the entire back...excepting lats.

Wannabebig Member
    i agree with max..i cant do deadlifts because it causes a stressful pain to my lower back..dont think its bad form..dunno