The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Weightlifting and water?

Hey i was just wonder why are weightlifters supposed to drink 1 to 2 gallons of water a day? Does this really make a diffrerence?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Dehydration, basically you are constantly training so you need PLENTY of water to get you going. If you are drinking carbonated drinks or a lot of drinks with caffeine then try to substitute that with more water. Water also gives you plenty of nutrients (sp?) so its like mother natures supplement. I dont know about 2 gallons a day (bathroom king? lol) but a gallon is about right...sometimes more, sometimes less. have a good one.

I have noticed a huge difference in lifts between when I drink enough to not be thirsty vs drinking a ton. I try to drink close to a gallon before my workout, and if I manage to I can always expect to set PRs.

I wannabebig!
    muscle is mostly made of water, you can make the connection from there.

Footballer
    I belive it's something like this, if your dehydrated 2% performance can decrease up to 10%
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Wannabebig Member
    How do you drink so much water you guys.. gallons, and still be hungry and not feel like ****?

I try drinking lots of water and it makes me feel like I want to puke, gives me a lot of gas or bloating... etc.
    Isn't it better to have just lots fluids... you wouldn't BELEIVE the amount of water that is in meat, and vegies, and even things like muffins. You would think a muffn is fairly dry by it's texture, but it is not. You would think meat is fiarly high in protien, but it is mainly water. Personally, I think there is too much emphasis on water... I mean look at a COW.. how often do they drink water? They are huge.. I know, I know, they have a different difestive system.. but my point is grass is a vegatable and it already has tons of water in it.

If you are eating things like dried food and dried cheese, and granola, etc., then it's different, but how in the world can you guys drink a gallon of water without puking and burping, and bloating? I just can't do it.
    Your pee also turns WHITE, and you have to go to the washroom way too often.. this can actually cause mineral depletion in your body, because you are losing more than you are putting in.

So the people that are drinking a gallon of water.. what sort of foods are you eating? not much food that has water in it?
    Last edited by ps101; 06-22-2004 at 06:06 PM.

I will tell you right now that I can see a very noticeable in my lifts when I am super-hydrated. I also could see a huge difference in my ability to run both sprints and distance when I drink a ton of water.

I don't buy the fact that you are pissing away valuable nutrients because your body doesn't just throw that stuff away. Proper amounts of water helps so many different functions in the human body that it can be very helpful for not just fitness.

While meats and other foods may have water, they aren't a great source for it. Perhaps you won't be dehydrated without glasses of liquids for short periods of time, but you won't reap the many benefits that adequate water gives.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-22-2004 at 06:31 PM.

Just drinking water does not necessarily mean you will be well hydrated. this is why gatorade was invented -- electrolyes and crap are needed to hydrate, not just pure H2O.

Indeed, you can be over-hydrated. Hyponatremia occurs when you have too little sodium and is very dangerous, and can be fatal. It's been seen primarily in distance athletes.

Wannabebig Member
    before i read this post i used to think that there was no such thing as over-hydration,and the more water you drink the better.Anyway,
    I've been drinking about 3 litres of water from the last few days..and the one thing i've noticed is that i need to pee a lot more.Yesterday i had about 4.5 litres of water.But when i went for my HIIT today at about 5:00 AM,I had had no water for the last 3 hours or so.And I felt dehydrated.I'm sure i could've done all of it without a rest if it hadnt been for that.How come i was dhydrated after drinking 4.5 litres of water?May be it wasnt dehydration but my really strict diet.
    Last edited by ali; 06-22-2004 at 07:00 PM.
    My stats:
    Height: 5"7.5
    Weight: ....Reduced from 80 kg to 73 kg..tell me how much more I should lose