The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    58

    High reps to get cut

    A couple of my friends and I got into an arguement about doing low weight and high repetitions to get cut when I told them that doing high reps has nothing to do with getting cut and that reducing your bodyfat through diet and cardio is how you would go about getting cut. As soon as I told them this they thought I was totally wrong and that everyone knows that high reps gets you cut. I told them I would show them proof that high reps doesnt get you cut so I thought who better to ask than all the knowledgeable people on WWB. If you could just back me up here so that I can print this out and show them it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    proof = a fat persons jaw is not cut, yet they continually eat food...chomp chomp chomp
    its not until a person loses bodyfat that jaw muscles are apparent

  4. #3
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    Higher reps might burn more calories. Beyond that they won't cut you up any quicker than lower rep sets. They'll produce no different effect than doing any other type of aerobic activity. I found I cut best (maintained most LBM) when I was still doing lower rep, heavier sets and just doing cardio during/after by post workout shake or at some other time.

    Higher rep sets have been shown to decrease muscle mass, so if you are just going by the scale you could be losing weight, albeit, muscle though.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    0
    from the body builders ive seen preparing for comps (getting cut) thier calories are so restricted they can only muster up the strength for light weight high reps. its the cardio and dieting that gets them cut, thats just my observation i dont know if thats the case tho

  6. #5
    3:16
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    4,254
    high rep work outs may be less demanding on muscle recovery.
    doing the normal work out may require more recovery. So its not the high reps that are helping. But a less demanding work out may allow you to keep more muscle mass.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

  7. #6
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by body
    high rep work outs may be less demanding on muscle recovery.
    doing the normal work out may require more recovery. So its not the high reps that are helping. But a less demanding work out may allow you to keep more muscle mass.

    I'd argue the opposite. Doing a few sets of high reps will deplete muscle glycogen LESS than a bunch of high-rep sets. PLUS the low-rep sets will help keep more myofibrillar tissue than the high-rep, lower-weight sets.

  8. #7
    Still Plugging Away -TIM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,590
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    Higher reps might burn more calories. Beyond that they won't cut you up any quicker than lower rep sets. They'll produce no different effect than doing any other type of aerobic activity. I found I cut best (maintained most LBM) when I was still doing lower rep, heavier sets and just doing cardio during/after by post workout shake or at some other time.

    Higher rep sets have been shown to decrease muscle mass, so if you are just going by the scale you could be losing weight, albeit, muscle though.
    Great post!

    It's simple, all people who are defined have low body fat. And what's the best way to decrease your body fat? Cut the fat in your diet. That has absolutely nothing to do with reps and sets. The main result you will see by lifting weights is the increase of muscle mass. Even if you have a lot of muscle it won't show if you have a lot of fat that surrounds that muscle. It's really an easy concept.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

    Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    Great post!

    It's simple, all people who are defined have low body fat. And what's the best way to decrease your body fat? Cut the fat in your diet. That has absolutely nothing to do with reps and sets. The main result you will see by lifting weights is the increase of muscle mass. Even if you have a lot of muscle it won't show if you have a lot of fat that surrounds that muscle. It's really an easy concept.


    Thanks Tim, very good and simple explanation

  10. #9
    suavecito latinomasfino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    412
    well i been using low rep (5-6) and high lbs for about a year and seen major muslce gain...but i was talkin to this one guy at my gym who is a bodybuilder and he tells me that a 12 rep 10 rep 8 rep 6 rep increase lbs at each set is a better way..ive been using that routine since october so far in my bulk i did see muscle gain ..now that i am on my cut he has told me to do 25rep 20rep 18rep and 15rep increaseing werights as alwasy...i have to admit it freakin burns LOL and i do pretty low weright i do feeel a pump..soo well see wut happens..that guy is freakin ripped even bigger in person than the pics came in 2nd in his first 2 competitions
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20


    MY PICS

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

  11. #10
    3:16
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    I'd argue the opposite. Doing a few sets of high reps will deplete muscle glycogen LESS than a bunch of high-rep sets. .
    i did not state the volume. i just said high reps may be less demanding then say doing your ideal rep range when bulking.

    though personally when i have dieted down. i kept the reps low. so i will not disagree with you on doing low reps.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

  12. #11
    Formerly Nick Hatfield SW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,432
    High reps = more endurance but not as much on the strength side as low reps/heavier weight. Also they increase the hormones that make your tendons stronger. Like it was said before, it does nothing other than burn more calories and IMO give you much more pump.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

    My Exploits

  13. #12
    Banned Slim Schaedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by latinomasfino
    i have to admit it freakin burns LOL and i do pretty low weright i do feeel a pump..soo well see wut happens
    You may know this already, but that burning sensation is simply the build up of lactic acid and the pump is simply the concentration of blood in that particular muscle. Neither are indicators of resulting muscle growth or fat reduction.

  14. #13
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by latinomasfino
    well i been using low rep (5-6) and high lbs for about a year and seen major muslce gain...but i was talkin to this one guy at my gym who is a bodybuilder and he tells me that a 12 rep 10 rep 8 rep 6 rep increase lbs at each set is a better way..ive been using that routine since october so far in my bulk i did see muscle gain ..now that i am on my cut he has told me to do 25rep 20rep 18rep and 15rep increaseing werights as alwasy...i have to admit it freakin burns LOL and i do pretty low weright i do feeel a pump..soo well see wut happens..that guy is freakin ripped even bigger in person than the pics came in 2nd in his first 2 competitions

    My rule of thumb is to never take one persons advice as fact. Advice from others can be good just get as much as you can, and then do your own research to make sure it has scientific merit. Find out what muscle fibers you are training and what energy mechanism you are tapping into. Find out WHY and then make your decision. A pump and burn is not indicative of fat loss.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  15. #14
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    That guys legs are really lagging compared to his upper body.

  16. #15
    suavecito latinomasfino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    My rule of thumb is to never take one persons advice as fact. Advice from others can be good just get as much as you can, and then do your own research to make sure it has scientific merit. Find out what muscle fibers you are training and what energy mechanism you are tapping into. Find out WHY and then make your decision. A pump and burn is not indicative of fat loss.
    oh of cousre man my exercises are way different lol but i mean nothing wrong whit trying new stuff thats my research and ive done lots of researched..plus my last cut was a success so im using my cuting style not his
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20


    MY PICS

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

  17. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    72
    I think high rep low weight should be for beginners to focus on form and since their muscles do not recover as fast. then the more advanced one becomes, they should work on low rep high weight.

    Other than that, high rep and low weight makes you cut is nothing but a myth

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html - scroll down a bit.

  18. #17
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,030
    I was under the impression that when you bulk (especially if it is not the cleanest bulk) alot of the muscle your putting on is fatty muscle, so high reps, low weight was needed to burn the fat out of the muscle while cutting....I plan on cutting soon after my current bulk, and I was planning to go to this method (along with 25mg ephedrine 3 times a day with 200mg caffeine and a clean diet).....is it better to keep to the same workout style I have now which is the 12s 10s 8s 6s 4s?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  19. #18
    Formerly Nick Hatfield SW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,432
    Fatty muscle?????????? Where'd you get that from?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

    My Exploits

  20. #19
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,030
    talking to a buddy of mine, hes been liftin for a few years..... like its not as hard as it should be cause there is fat around the muscle...so i guess more fat around the muscle, not fatty muscle...
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  21. #20
    suavecito latinomasfino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    talking to a buddy of mine, hes been liftin for a few years..... like its not as hard as it should be cause there is fat around the muscle...so i guess more fat around the muscle, not fatty muscle...
    i dont think thas fat man its water retention from all the carbs we eat i have that now and when i cut and cut my carbs i become more defined its all bout makin ur skin appear thin

    b4 during bulk this is me now after i finished my bulkhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...fino/jan5d.jpg

    after my first cut last year please keep in mind that my biceps grew by then so its prob be lookin more cut once i finish dieting http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...o/IMG_2671.jpg

    ok thsi is better here is a pic when i first started to cut last year in feb http://www.wannabebigforums.com/atta...chmentid=11139
    Last edited by latinomasfino; 02-13-2005 at 09:26 PM.
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20


    MY PICS

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

  22. #21
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    LOL. There is no such thing as "fatty muscle." Muscle is muscle, and fat is fat. I just wish I had less of the latter.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-13-2005 at 09:24 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  23. #22
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,030
    aight cool thanks guys...ya plus Im on creatine, and I know that adds to water retention, I plan to go off it near the very end of my cut to drop a little more water weight and look good for a bit heh (take some photos)......so considering everything now, would u say I should just keep my current routine when I cut? (meaning not go to high reps)
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  24. #23
    suavecito latinomasfino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    aight cool thanks guys...ya plus Im on creatine, and I know that adds to water retention, I plan to go off it near the very end of my cut to drop a little more water weight and look good for a bit heh (take some photos)......so considering everything now, would u say I should just keep my current routine when I cut? (meaning not go to high reps)
    yea man keep it low rep for now see how it goes add more cardio and ab workout and clean ur diet and u should be fine..aslo inon i used to use creatine but i got more results from just lifting eating a lot and donig my diet just my opinion
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20


    MY PICS

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

  25. #24
    soon to be massive SDhick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    That guys legs are really lagging compared to his upper body.
    Tricycle wheels.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •