The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by GulfVet91
    Do you seriously think that Iraq was better as a "secular state"? Now that sounds like a really brainwashed statement!

i'm a little late on this, but i will say that yes, i do believe iraq was better as a secular state. (for the world at large, if not necessarily for the Iraqui people). One thing that can be said about saddam, he kicked out anybody that had nay chance of swaying his people in any direction he didn't want them going.

with his regime gone, we've now got iran and syria sending insurgents in to 'fight the good fight" we've essentially destabilized the country.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    Just trying to add a little humor, and keep everything good spirited.
    (that sticker was on a Saudi truck)
    Carry on, as you were...
    It's all good Slim!
    (now the pic makes more sense!)
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
    - General George Patton Jr

I wasnt claiming that I wrote it. That's why I posted it in the format that I did. The information that I did post can be found elsewhere. I dont see a reason to link it. I am sure that everything that is said can be attributed to some newspaper, internet or news story.
    I thought you wrote it. I would not have replied knowing it was Heritage Foundation spew, which removes most all credibility from the statement.

Please attribute sources. Good find, Rasta.

why call it spew? is it an unreliable source (i've never heard of it myself)?

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    why call it spew? is it an unreliable source (i've never heard of it myself)?
    Using a Heritage quote as your own in an argument is like saying Fahrenheit 9/11 is an unbiased piece of investigative journalism.

OK, let's get this straight - I never claimed it to be my own. Look at the way I posted it. Since it seems I have to give credit to everything I say, this post is courtesy of Webster's Dictionary. I know at leat a few of the words I am using are a direct quote from that source

OK, let's get this straight - I never claimed it to be my own. Look at the way I posted it. Since it seems I have to give credit to everything I say, this post is courtesy of Webster's Dictionary. I know at leat a few of the words I am using are a direct quote from that source
    Aww, lets get off this. GulfVet, just make sure next time you include the links or put a few of these "" and a cite then we won't have any problems.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Ok, but the quote police are out now. I hope I will be seeing where everyone is getting their info from.

Look I don't even care if you cite data with attribution, but when you write a post that is a direct quote it surely looks like it's your own words.

Yeah, this is a dumb meathead discussion board, and we should be deadlifting instead, but I don't mind having an informal discussion (because I like arguing); stealing someone else's writing detracts from the experience.

Finally, it's really easy to use the meta tags:
    blah blah

Since Michael Moore is so concerned about 9/11 and the security of the United States, I wonder if he is going to be putting out a documentary about the Clinton national security terror coverup scandal!

I mean, he is so fair and objective, right?

Well, he says if the Dem's are in next term, he'll go after them also. Time will tell.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Look I don't even care if you cite data with attribution, but when you write a post that is a direct quote it surely looks like it's your own words.

Yeah, this is a dumb meathead discussion board, and we should be deadlifting instead, but I don't mind having an informal discussion (because I like arguing); stealing someone else's writing detracts from the experience.

Finally, it's really easy to use the meta tags: .
    I didnt steal it! I wrote it just like this:

Furthermore:

The Facts About Readiness. In the early 1990s, the Bush Administration began to reduce the size of the U.S. military so that it would be consistent with post-Cold War threats. Under the Clinton Administration, however, these reductions in forces escalated rapidly, with too little defense spending, while U.S. forces were deployed more often.

And:

Under the Clinton Administration, the U.S military has suffered under a dangerous combination of reduced budgets, diminished forces, and increased missions. The result has been a steep decline in readiness and an overall decline in U.S. military strength. Nearly a decade of misdirected policy coupled with a myopic modernization strategy has rendered America's armed forces years away from top form.

Why all the pressure on sources all of the sudden? I listened to everyone's point of view, even if I didnt agree with them. Just because I posted info I saw, doesnt mean I was stealing it or even trying to claim it as my own. By looking at the plethora of former posts I made on this subject, I can say with some confidence that I don't need to steal anything.
    And attacking where I got the information does not help the cause - there are people out there, including myself, that see any information that Michael Moore puts out as outrageous as you are claiming the Heritage Foundation to be.
    Ok, ok this is ridiculous. From this point forward, I will cite my sources. I was not aware that Woodward and Bernstein subscribed to this forum.

I didnt steal it! I wrote it just like this:

Why all the pressure on sources all of the sudden?

And attacking where I got the information does not help the cause - there are people out there, including myself, that see any information that Michael Moore puts out as outrageous as you are claiming the Heritage Foundation to be.
    Ok, ok this is ridiculous. From this point forward, I will cite my sources. I was not aware that Woodward and Bernstein subscribed to this forum.
    GulfVet. No one is suggesting you cite every bit of data or info that you present. However, if you are going to copy and paste whole paragraphs that someone else wrote, at the very least you could just briefly mention who wrote it. If I was going to copy and paste a bunch of paragraphs that Michael Moore or Gary Coleman wrote, I would at least inform the board of where and from whom I had taken it.

You will notice this is common practice on any good forum to link or credit the author when you copy him/her word for word and, paragraph for paragraph.

Also, just as it matters to you that some people get their facts from Michael Moore, I am sure they would like to know that you're getting yours from the good people of the Heritage Foundation. And they are.... good.... people.

Maybe now we can move on.
    Last edited by Rastaman; 07-20-2004 at 06:05 PM.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by aidano
    Well, he says if the Dem's are in next term, he'll go after them also. Time will tell.
    I sure hope he does.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Here is a quote that I am using from GulfVet91:

"Ok, ok this is ridiculous. From this point forward, I will cite my sources."

What more do you want? I have explained my reasoning and you are still acting as if I tried to pass it as my own. If I were turning in a term paper or giving testimonial at a grand jury, maybe it would be important. The last 47 thousand posts say that I didnt steal the information. Hell, CNN just ran a story saying that I didn't steal it! If you would like me to change my signature to "I did not try to pass on information as my own", I can. Can we get past this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaman
    Maybe now we can move on.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

gulfvet - they are right. if your pulling info from another source, state that that is what you're doing. that's the etiquette of this board. (incidentally this applies to any and every discussion, whether it's nutrition, physiology, politics, or britney's latest escapade.)

Tryska - What are you doing? Can't you see that we are past this? Etiquette dictates that you don't bring up something that is resolved. Do you have something constructive to add to the thread?

Calm down GulfVet91.

I went and saw the documentary last night. It was exactly as I expected and didn't change how I viewed the US government. I still think they're a bunch of goof balls.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Tryska - What are you doing? Can't you see that we are past this? Etiquette dictates that you don't bring up something that is resolved. Do you have something constructive to add to the thread?
    Etiquette also dictates that you don't attempt to plagiarize other people's work and try to make it seem as if it were your own....and then make lame excuses about justifying your efforts.

*cough* Basic English 101 *cough*

my two copper pieces.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Look, I am not going to continue to justify myself with this. Soba, I was trying to drop the subject. Why keep bringing it up? Did you read all the posts? The only lame attempts are you trying to stir up the pot some more. If you want to have an intelligent conversation anout the theme of the post, I will be happy to debate all day. But interjecting a smart ass remark is just dumb. If you want to start a new thread that says "Ettiquette on a forum", then by all means do so.

For someone who keeps returning to a thread that he forswore several pages back, you sure do have a poor track record of "attempting to drop the subject".

*shrug*

I guess you're right, I have nothing to contribute other than stirring up the pot. I guess I'll go do some work now.

Have fun debating. LOL.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Now I am returning on principal. When my integrity is questioned, I take it seriously. I would have enjoyed continuing the debate, but it turned into roasting my nuts about something I didn't do. I tried to say that from now on I would make it more clear about the source of my information, but it just continued. Let me put this in words that are small and simple to understand: I did not plagiarise the things I wrote.

if you want it dropped then drop the damn thing dude.

jesus h christ.

I think this thread is done. Anyone else want to vote for it's closure?
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.