The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 320

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

  1. #101
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    So I went to see "Fahrenheit 9/11" this weekend. I really enjoyed it, as did several of the friends I went with. As someone who thought perhaps we ought to fight terrorism by actually concentrating on finding bin Laden, I loved it.

  2. #102
    Simply Devious Rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,595
    I just saw it.

    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson


    Word.

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    991
    saw it couple days ago. everyone should see it.

    i'm DEFINATELY voting this november

  4. #104
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    After reading through a few posts, it sickened me to the point of posting. Seeing F911 will do nothing but give you a skewed sence of whats happened. Just like w/ Bowling for Columbine, many of the "facts" from F911 have been proven wrong. I have not seen the MOVIE yet (I say movie b/c although it may be presented as a documentary, it is not.) If you want a good article on F911 I suggest this one: http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/ . Its objective and quite informative.

    Basically Moore is a sellout liberal loser looking to make a few bucks off of a controversial movie. Just my opinion of the guy. There is another show coming out soon called "Why Michael Moore Hates America," where the guy doing the film tries to interview Moore, but Moore wont give it to him. It might not be any more factual than anything Moore has done, but it should be interesting to see Michael get a taste of his own medicine.

  5. #105
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    Also, if this film affects the way you will be voting, you are a tool, and no better than people who blindly believe anything the read or hear on the news.

  6. #106
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Sigh. Name one fact in the movie that is false.

    Hitchens is a pompous blowhard who has just as much of an agenda as Moore.

    He disagrees with the the implications raised from of the incontrovertible facts in the movie and thus, he doesn't like it.

    Michael Moore didn't make up Bush reading "My Pet Goat" for seven minutes after being informed the country was under attack. That alone should make you question Bush's leadership, intelligence, and courage. Dick Cheney coordinated the immediate response on 9/11 because Bush was incapable.

    On the otherhand, John Kerry actually served his country in Vietnam instead of going AWOL and has seen real combat, saved mens' lives, and knows how to react in a crisis.

  7. #107
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi guys!

    I've been reading the boards here for a little while now, but this is my first post here.

    I've also seen the movie just recently and very much admired the work that M. Moore did....and then the link below was emailed to me by a close friend.

    Have a look when you get the chance, and, just maybe, like me, your initial views on the movie may just be altered. Maybe.

    Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 9/11

  8. #108
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Oh my god. I read the article. Michael Moore creates false impressions about issues like the war in Iraq and terrorism and the linkq between Saddam and al Qaeda. And 800+ young Americans and thousands of Iraqis are dead as a result, along with $200 billions dollars being added to the deficit, not to mention destroying our international relationships.

    God damn you Michael Moore for the heartbreak, death, and destruction you have caused.

    Oh. Wait.

    I'm really glad the the Presidential race is between Bush's lies and deceits and Moore's lies and deceits. The only logical conclusion a reasonable person can make: If they're both liars, then, well, let's kick both out of Washington. Sounds good to me.

  9. #109
    Simply Devious Rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe
    Also, if this film affects the way you will be voting, you are a tool, and no better than people who blindly believe anything the read or hear on the news.
    Newsflash: When you post on a thread offering nothing but childish insults to anyone who thinks differently then you, you lose credibility.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson


    Word.

  10. #110
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    Keep it civil, folks. Or I'm gonna declare Jihad on this thread.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  11. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe
    After reading through a few posts, it sickened me to the point of posting. Seeing F911 will do nothing but give you a skewed sence of whats happened. Just like w/ Bowling for Columbine, many of the "facts" from F911 have been proven wrong. I have not seen the MOVIE yet (I say movie b/c although it may be presented as a documentary, it is not.) If you want a good article on F911 I suggest this one: http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/ . Its objective and quite informative.

    Basically Moore is a sellout liberal loser looking to make a few bucks off of a controversial movie. Just my opinion of the guy. There is another show coming out soon called "Why Michael Moore Hates America," where the guy doing the film tries to interview Moore, but Moore wont give it to him. It might not be any more factual than anything Moore has done, but it should be interesting to see Michael get a taste of his own medicine.
    Why is it not a documentary?

    A documentary does not have to be objective.

    As well, what facts have been proven wrong?

  12. #112
    y0 aidano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe
    After reading through a few posts, it sickened me to the point of posting. Seeing F911 will do nothing but give you a skewed sence of whats happened.
    So will watching Fox News. So is Fox News still news or is it fictional?

    People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

  13. #113
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenronm
    Why is it not a documentary?

    A documentary does not have to be objective.

    As well, what facts have been proven wrong?

    Let's look at the definition of "documentary".

    ---

    doc∑u∑men∑ta∑ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dky-mnt-r)
    adj.

    1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
    2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.


    ---

    Allen, a true documentary is what is above. What Moore makes is traditionally called a "bias piece". His work even steps over that line and into propaganda because he intentionally misleads by use of context and editing.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  14. #114
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Moore himself called in an "op-ed" and not a documentary. So who cares? Only people concerned with meta-analysis of the movie, desparate to denigrate it in anyway possible, because they can't refute the facts of the movie.

  15. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    201
    how in the hell can someone lose credibility for something that everyone here, or 99% of people here, find credible? maybe he lost credibility to you, but in all honesty, if this movie affected your choices in the race then you are, in fact, a tool

  16. #116
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,191
    way to sling abuse in order to get your point across.
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-07-2004 at 10:51 AM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  17. #117
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    People, stop the name-calling. Or I'll totally beat your asses.

    And Tina is right. Always. Remember that, peons.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  18. #118
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Okay, Gyno, you are a poopie pants. I've been a bad, bad boy, so don't hold back!

    Have you seen the movie yet Tryska?

  19. #119
    Simply Devious Rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    how in the hell can someone lose credibility for something that everyone here, or 99% of people here, find credible? maybe he lost credibility to you, but in all honesty, if this movie affected your choices in the race then you are, in fact, a tool
    Can you explain to me what 99% of the people here find credible? Since you speak for the 'people', I am curious to know what everyone thinks.

    Why would anyone be a 'tool' if this movie affected their choice? Just the scene of G.Bush's reaction to the 9/11 attacks (reading to the kids) could shake anyone's confidence in his ability to react and lead.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson


    Word.

  20. #120
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    All I am saying is for people to go see the movie so they can broaden their thinking and become more informed.

    Doesn't matter if you're Republican, support the administration wholeheartedly and think the movie is a piece of garbage.

    Doesn't matter if you're a Democrat, loathe the President with a passion and would vote for his opponent(s) in a heartbeat.

    Doesn't matter if you're libertarian and apathetic to the political scene.

    Go and see the movie. Once you've seen it, form your opinion. Mr. Moore might be a total loser and a failed conspiracy theorist, but that's sort of missing the point.

    For the record, I'm a Democrat (obviously) but I'm not particularly keen on the nominees-elect. As far as Bush is concerned, I've tuned him and his goons out a long time ago. Unfortunately we can only vote for one or the other (third party candidates running for national office aren't given much credence in the U.S., not to mention our electoral system doesn't favor a parliamentary system of government), so I'll probably end up holding my nose and voting for Kerry/Edwards in the end.

    Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 07-07-2004 at 02:03 PM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  21. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Let's look at the definition of "documentary".

    ---

    doc∑u∑men∑ta∑ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dky-mnt-r)
    adj.

    1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
    2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.


    ---

    Allen, a true documentary is what is above. What Moore makes is traditionally called a "bias piece". His work even steps over that line and into propaganda because he intentionally misleads by use of context and editing.

    I'm not arguing about Moore at the moment, I'm discussing the definition of a documentary. The one you posted is ludicrous, at least the number 2 part.

    That may be the way The Cambridge dictionary defined a documentary years ago, but that definition is no longer applicable. I'm not sure how many documentaries you have seen, but in no way does a documentary have to be impartial. In fact, I dare say that's impossible to make a perfectly objective documentary, because you're editing hours of footage into say 2 hours, so you're ultimately framing the story the way you want it framed. I could go on, but I'll leave you with that.

  22. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    201
    wannabe said ''Also, if this film affects the way you will be voting, you are a tool, and no better than people who blindly believe anything the read or hear on the news''. admittedly harsh and excessive, kind of thing that will turn an intelligent debate into a stupid flame war, but what i mean is that everyone here finds credible the idea that if a film like this influences how you will be voting you are a tool. what should have been said is you would be a seriously misinformed voter basing your thoughts primarily on misleading films of this sort, sorry came out the way it did, but i still maintain that everyone here must look down upon people who actually do vote, yet do it based on relatively nothing. i think everyone here, and by here i mean on this thread, feels that way because of the conversation that we are having, and people are bringing, intelligent, informed opinions to the table (for the most part. prolly should've agreed w/ only 80% of those here agreeing w/ original statement)

  23. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    201
    and as far as the ' you should still see it attitude, to get a view of both sides', i must say that if you look farther back in this thread i agreed, maybe even wrote that exactly. through discussion, and especially after the 59 deceits article, i really wish that i had not given money to see the film. i thought though it was one sided, it wasn't so terribly misleading. i mean i could take a film of someone giving a speech, break it down into individual clips containing a single word each, and then rearrange to say whatever the hell i wanted. true, it is real footage, it is things he actually said, but come on. i don't understand how you can give any credibility after reading 59 deceits

  24. #124
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Wow, the Daily Show just ripped on the guy making the Michael Moore Hates America movie. He looked like a total idiot. It was funny. That is all.

  25. #125
    Simply Devious Rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    what i mean is that everyone here finds credible the idea that if a film like this influences how you will be voting you are a tool. what should have been said is you would be a seriously misinformed voter basing your thoughts primarily on misleading films of this sort, sorry came out the way it did, but i still maintain that everyone here must look down upon people who actually do vote, yet do it based on relatively nothing. i think everyone here, and by here i mean on this thread, feels that way because of the conversation that we are having
    How many well informed voters are there? Think about it.

    Also consider how many people vote for a party due to an irrational attachment to a political identity (republican or democrat) due to their parent's political beliefs, etc.

    Then think about why you would call someone a tool because they would lose faith in Bush due to Michael Moore's documentary.

    Yes, the documentary is slanted and obviously Michael Moore's intention was to make Bush look like a buffoon. But how hard is that? Bush doesn't need help to make himself look like a buffoon. Moore just did it with style and convenient editing.

    And no, I don't think 99%, or 80% of the people here think that anyone influenced by this film is a 'tool' (A great thing to call others when there was an intelligent conversation going on). In fact, I'd say a good deal of people found it not only entertaining, but slightly informative.

    But what do I know? I'm Canadian.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson


    Word.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •