The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Protien Intake VS Protien Absorption & Waste

There is really no definitive guide out when i comes to protien intake vs absorption. I am extremely confused, and I was hoping someone could help me with this.

I read on a website today... and I lost the link, but it said that 99% of protien eaten gets digested. How ever another site said that only so much protien will be used by the body at any given time based on the bodies need, and the rest will be waste.

Is what I read accurate? If it is then eating to much protien at the wrong time would just be waste. It would also mean that there are specific times to eat protien, and different types of protien based on speed of digestion/transfer to the bodies current demand.

I think I might be getting ahead of myself...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You are.

You 'use' virtually everything you eat. There is not a limit on the amount of protein you can 'use'.

There is very little reason to worry about what kind of protein you eat, other than ensuring you take in all of the essential amino acids (which isn't an issue, AFAIK, if you are eating animal protein.)

Lift heavy stuff, eat lots of good food, rest, repeat.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Protein will not be wasted in the literal sense but in the sense that excess will be used for energy instead of the wanted muscle synthesis. How much will be used for synthesis depends on a no. of factors such as body needs current nitrogen balance type of protein etc
    The 3 H's

Huge Eating
    Hard Training
    Heavy Sleeping

i have heard that your body can only utilize 30 - 40 grams of protein in one meal. The rest is converted to energy.

Is this true.

if so, what form of energy is it? Glucose?
    Last edited by mickyjune26; 07-11-2005 at 09:25 AM.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by mickyjune26
    i have heard that your body can only utilize 30 - 40 grams of protein in one meal. The rest is converted to energy.

Is this true.
    I would say it depends on so many factors it is impossible to determine. If you eat significant quantities of protein in one sitting I think it is naive to assume it will all be used for muscle building. As to what is "significant", just spread out your protein intake over the day.

Yes it's glucose, converted from the amino acids via the process called gluconeogenesis.

Is this true.

Depends on what type of protein you are referring to. Whey will digest rapidly and excess would more likely be used for energy, but whole foods would be less likely because the rate of digestion would be slower. It really is not something I would be concerned about. Just eat enough protein, EFAs and focus on the total amount of calories consumed.

Thanks for the update. I don't know what is more fun - learning about the body or seeing the results.
    ...probably the results, but this is still cool.
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I was told last night by an employee at the gym (the one who oversees the healthy lifestyle portion) that I needed at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM for weight training but she also said that just eating everything protein based in sight wouldn't cut it: That I'd end up peeing most of it out.

I do notice that I have to urinate more often after a can of tuna and that, well, it smells strongly of tuna so it got me thinking about it.

Search being busted I couldn't get a large consensus on this.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 08-09-2005 at 10:33 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I'm not sure. I have a HIT book that says that you only need 90grams/protein a day, but mostly everyone in this site says 180 grams. I wonder if its not as much about the amount you eat, but that your body has a steady stream of it available. Maybe 90/day would cut it if we spread it out over 8 meals?
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

1g/lbm.

If you weight 90lbs, then sure, 90g is fine.
    Nick V

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Just eat the damn protein, lift the damn bar, rest, and grow!

Wannabebig Member
    According to Dave Grotto, R.D. from Mens Health, a typcial weightlifter only needs 30 grams of protein a day. He goes on to say that protein provdes 4 calories per gram so whatever our bodies are nto using will become extra baggage.

I always heard and go by that 1 g of protein per 1 lb of weight.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDave
    According to Dave Grotto, R.D. from Mens Health, a typcial weightlifter only needs 30 grams of protein a day. He goes on to say that protein provdes 4 calories per gram so whatever our bodies are nto using will become extra baggage.

What do you guys think?
    Ahh yes, Men's Health, the epitome of bodybuilding...

Yes, the typical fancy boy who follow's the Men's Health workouts probably does only need 30g of soy protein a day.

The rest of us (yourself included) will continue with our 1g per lb. of LBM, and will laugh at the Men's Health subscriber doing hours of isolation curls while we squat poundages unfathomable to him.

What do you guys think?
    I think reading mens health is catabolic.

I think 30g a day is lower than the already far too low for athletes RDA. Unless the typical weightlifter is a very underweight midget, then he might be right.

I think any RD worth his salt would know that amounts of macronutrients vary pretty substantially by individual, making such a claim pretty stupid.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

What do you guys think?
    My god who gives these guys degrees? Its reefer madness i tell you.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    My glutes probably couldn't hypertrophy on 30g of protein a day, lol. Men Health is junk, stick to about 1xbodyweight in grams of protein.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Look at it this way... 30 grams of protein is 120 calories, right? What are you supposed to fill the rest with? Carbs and fat? Health places recommend no more than 85 grams of fat, too... so that's almost 1000 calories. The other one to three thousand the typical person around here eats supposed to come from carbs?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

30 grams hahahaa, I get that much in a bowl of cereal.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    I think reading mens health is catabolic.
    Lol.
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

sh*t, I need 30 grams a day for 3 days just to repair one lat after 450lb deads.

DJ

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    According to Dave Grotto, R.D. from Mens Health, a typcial weightlifter only needs 30 grams of protein a day.
    He needs to STFU and go back to school. Every person I've talked to in the field of nutrition would say that man is a complete dumb ass. 30 grams? WTF? I think there's a 100% chance that this guy doesn't work out. Otherwise, he'd be seeing that his advice is ****.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

sCaRz. Cool avatar.
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    sCaRz. Cool avatar.
    Thanks.

sh*t, I need 30 grams a day for 3 days just to repair one lat after 450lb deads.
    lol Yeah, or one bicep.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."