The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What to Eat Before/After Cardio While on Low Carb Diet

I've been having a good deal of success with a low carb diet. Mon-Friday I eat very low carbs then refeed on the weekends. I've dropped over 10 pounds in the past 6 weeks this way (probably too much weight too fast, but I'm impatient)

I'm planning on doing some cardio tonight and I was wondering if I should eat some carbs (possibly an apple or peach), drink a protein shake/eat a can of salmon or tuna or consume both carbs and protein before or after the cardio. I was thinking that if I dont' have any carbs before the cardio, my body would be forced to burn fat (and possibly muscle) while I'm doing it. Would it be wise to drink a protein shake after to help reduce muscle catabolism? Or do I need carbs as well as protein after the workout?

This is what I've eaten so far today:

Meal 1-Western Omelette
    Meal 2-6 egg whites
    Meal 3-Can of Salmon

I'm not planning on doing any weight training today, it's my day off

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Whey will help shift you out of ketosis, much like carbs would as whey provkoes an insulin response. If you don't care about ketosis, some dextrose+whey would be good before and after, just a small amount though. Otherwise, a can of tuna or something along those lines would be fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Whey will help shift you out of ketosis, much like carbs would as whey provkoes an insulin response. If you don't care about ketosis, some dextrose+whey would be good before and after, just a small amount though. Otherwise, a can of tuna or something along those lines would be fine too.
    I'm not technically on a keto diet, because I've been to lazy to read up about it and properly plan one out (I know, that's bad =() but I've probably been going in and out of ketosis on a fairly regular basis considering that many days I eat virtually no carbs from maybe 7pm one day until noon or later the next day

I just find cutting carbs out to be pretty easy (the worst part is the inconvenience of having to eat foods with no carbs in them, i don't really care about taste). I don't feel any less energetic when I don't eat carbs and I dont' really crave them (well, I do, but I can usually hold off till the weekend refeed). I did notice that eating carbs (usually a fruit) before a weight training session allows me to lift a significant amount more than I can if I eat barely any carbs right before
    Last edited by thetopdog; 06-28-2004 at 01:44 PM.