Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaz's Journal

Kaz's Journal

I'm starting this journal so I can keep track of my progress and hopefully get some feedback from members on the forum. I'll try to update as often as I can. Currently I'm trying to shed bodyfat while putting on some extra lean mass. I've been using a workout schedule/diet written by a friend. I'm currently on my third week. So far the bodyfat shedding seems to be going well (thanks to adding 3 HIIT sessions a week to the schedule). I've dropped from 11.8% to 10.5% since last week. The lean mass growing part however doesn't seem to be going that great. Right now I'm weighing in at about 188-187lbs.

Week 1&2's Schedule
    --------------------
    Day 1: Chest/Back + Biceps/Triceps + Shoulders/Traps
    Day 2: Quads/Hamstrings + Calves
    Day 3: Rest (HIIT)
    Day 4: Chest/Back + Biceps/Triceps + Shoulders/Traps
    Day 5: Quads/Hamstrings + Calves
    Day 6: Rest (HIIT)
    Day 7: Rest (HIIT)

Week1 Reps = 12 per excersize
    Week1 Sets = 5
    Week1 Rest = 2 mins

Week2 Reps = 8 per excersize
    Week2 Sets = 3
    Week2 Rest = 3 mins

Each set consisted of the 2 body parts done back to back. For example, doing 12 reps on chest and then doing 12 reps on back right after then resting for 2 minutes would be 1 set.

Workout-days nutritional intake:
    -- C: 500g
    -- P: 200g
    -- F: 50g

Non-workoutdays nutrtional intake:
    -- C: 50g + whatever i depeleted from HIIT
    -- F: 50g
    -- P: 300g
    --------------------

Week 3's Schedule
    ------------------
    Day 1: Deadlift + Squat + BP + Barbell Curl + Dip + Military Press
    Day 2: Rest (HIIT)
    Day 3: Deadlift + Squat + BP + Barbell Curl + Dip + Military Press
    Day 4: Rest (HIIT)
    Day 5: Rest (Gym not open)
    Day 6: Deadlift + Squat + BP + Barbell Curl + Dip + Military Press
    Day 7: Rest (HIIT)

Week3 Reps = 4 per excersize
    Week3 Sets = 2
    Week3 Rest = 4 mins

Focus on one of the main three lifts on each day.

Workout-days nutritional intake:
    -- C: 150g
    -- P: 200g
    -- F: 100g

Non-workoutdays nutrtional intake:
    -- C: 75g + whatever i depeleted from HIIT
    -- F: 60g
    -- P: 250g
    ------------------

Today was day 3 of week 3. I focused on my bench. Nice slow and even movements. I measured my arms again this morning and noticed a slight drop in size. Hopefully my calories will be upped in week 4 so I can start actually adding on some quality size instead of watching it fly away . As for nutritional intake, it was pretty bang on today.

Thoughts?

Did some light HIIT today. It was light cause I kinda set up the intervals on the treadmill wrong. It came out to about 12 minutes total. I'll make up what I missed the next time I do HIIT.

Other than that nothing special. My weight's still at 187lbs.

You'll enjoy week 4.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 06-30-2004 at 08:09 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Good luck!

Did the third day workout day for Week3. It went pretty alright. I couldn't lift as heavy as I normally would on the deadlifts because I didn't have any straps with me and my grip sucks.

Most important lifts today:

Bench was around 215lbs x 4 reps
    Squats was around 170lbs x 4 reps (ass-to-the-ground style)
    I can't remeber the deadlift but it was less than what I normally do.

Diet went alittle astray today, but that's alright.

2 more days to go until week 4 starts. My carb intake will be upped to 700g on workout days and 300g on non-workout days. My next weigh-in date is scheduled to be on August 1st, hopefully by then my body fat percentage will be significantly lower with my weight being the same as it is now or higher.

I did about 23 minutes of HIIT today. It looked like I'd gotten out of the shower once I was done. I did more than usual cause I messed up my last HIIT session by setting up the treadmill wrong, and because I cheated a little yesterday so I had to burn off the extra fat I put on.

Week 4 starts tommorow. My basic nutritional intake consists of

Workout days
    Protien: 200g
    Carbs: 700g
    Fat: 50g

Non-workout days
    Protien: 300g
    Carbs: 300g
    Fat: 100g

The actual meal breakdowns are as follows:

Morning MealFood Cals Fat Carbs Protien
    2 cups Milk, cow's, fluid, 2% fat 228 9 23 16
    0.5 tablespoon Olive oil 56 7 0 0
    2 packets Oatmeal 308 5 70 8
    6 tablespoons Syrup 324 0 81 0
    Totals 592 21 174 24

Meal #1 Food Cals Fat Carbs Protien
    150g Chicken Breast Raw Skinless Boneless 154 2 0 34.5
    2 large slices Bread, multigrain 132 2 24 5
    0.5 tablespoon Olive oil 56 7 0 0
    250g Potato 200 0 45 5
    Totals 542 11 69 44.5

Meal #2 Food Cals Fat Carbs Protien
    60g Beef Trimmed to 0" Fat 99.2 4 0 16.8
    250g Potato 200 0 45 5
    Totals 431.2 6 69 26.8

Post-workout Food Cals Fat Carbs Protien
    1 scoop ON 100% Whey 112 1 3 23
    1 cup Milk, cow's, fluid, 2% fat 108 4 11 8
    Totals 220 5 14 31

Pre-workout Food Cals Fat Carbs Protien
    1 scoop ON 100% Whey 112 1 3 23
    1 cup Milk, cow's, fluid, 2% fat 108 4 11 8
    Totals 220 5 14 31

Meal #3 Food Cals Fat Carbs Protien
    150g Chicken Breast Raw Skinless Boneless 154 2 0 34.5
    250g White Potato 200 0 45 5
    Totals 486 4 69 44.5

Total of food 2491.2 52 409 201.8

2 liters Koolaid (300g dextrose) 1200 0 300 0

Final Total 3691.2 52 709 201.8

So basically I'll be drinking 2liters of koolaid on workout days to add an extra 300g of carbs, bringing me to a total of 700g. Ofcourse I'll be drinking the koolaid thruout the day instead slowly. On my offdays I'm going to add in a some more meat and protien powder to total 300g of protien, while taking out the syrup at breakfast and cutting out a 2 slice serving of bread from one of the meals.

Workout wise the next 4 weeks will consist of:

Schedule

Day1: Upperbody
    Day2: Lowerbody
    Day3: Rest
    Day4: Upperbody
    Day5: Lowerbody
    Day6: Upperbody
    Day7: Rest

Weeks 4 and 6

These two weeks consist of doing drop sets.

Rest: 2 mins per set
    Sets: 2 per muscle group
    Reps: 15, 10, 8, 4 per set

Weeks 5 and 7

The upper part of the body consist of doing iso holds.

Rest: 2 mins per set
    Sets: 3 per muscle group
    Reps: 6 reps

The lower part of the body consist of doing high reps on two of any of these excersizes: Squat/Frontal Squats/Leg Press/Deadlifts/Stiff Legged Deadlifts.

Rest: 3 mins per set
    Sets: 3 per muscle group
    Reps: 20 reps

-------------------

I'm planning on doing HIIT 2 to 3 times a week, and by the end of these 4 weeks I hope to be at the same weight with a lower bodyfat percentage OR at a higherweight with the same bodyfat percentage.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

For the first day of week4's upperbody I did the following:

Bench press, Onearm pulldowns, DB shrugs, Seated curls, Shoulder press, and Lat pulldown. The weights I was pushing was very pretty low. At one point I was struggling on benching 75lbs :x.

Hopefully I'll only go up from here.

My legs day today consisted of Squats, Leg Curl, and Seated Calf Raises. It went quite alright except for the squats, I'm going to have to lighten the weight a tad bit more to be able to do a full 37 reps.

As for my diet, my calorie intake is slightly over what it should be. I'd rather be taking in more calories than not enough.

I can't wait to do some HIIT tommorow.

good luck
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

I'm planning on doing HIIT 2 to 3 times a week, and by the end of these 4 weeks I hope to be at the same weight with a lower bodyfat percentage OR at a higherweight with the same bodyfat percentage.

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/QUOTE]

How do you do your HIITs? Do you do 30sec slow/30 fast? Do you always do them on the treadmill? Also, do you do them on the same days you do weights or is that ever your only workout of the day?

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by pruneman
    good luck
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    How do you do your HIITs? Do you do 30sec slow/30 fast? Do you always do them on the treadmill? Also, do you do them on the same days you do weights or is that ever your only workout of the day?

Keep up the good work!
    My HIIT sessions are usually 1:10min at 5.5mph and 0:45min at 7.5mph repeated for 15 minutes. I do it on a treadmill at the gym. Some people think the amount of HIIT I do seems small, but personally it makes me feel worn out by the time I'm done.

I like the HIIT workout, but I do it a little differently, and not always on the treadmill, sometimes running outdoors or on the elliptical or bike.

Here's an article about HIIT that I found to be a very informative read:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

Did about 15 minutes of HIIT today despite the fact that my legs were sore as ****. As for diet, I ate a tad over my scheduled intake yesterday, but it's nothing some more HIIT can't cure

Kaz, just say "NO" to HIIT! Too much man, too much.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Kaz, just say "NO" to HIIT! Too much man, too much.
    It was only the first HIIT session of the week. I gotta burn off all that fat one way or another .

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I would say don't do more than 1 or 2 HIIT sessions a week because of the risk of overtraining. I think you should vary the types of cardio that you do so that you include moderate intensity cardio and HIIT.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Did upperbody today. I ended up doing a few extra sets on tricep just so they could end up getting a good feel to it. I also ended the session with 8 minutes of HIIT. I would of done a bit more but my side started cramping up a bit. Personally I think my waist has gone down a bit, but I guess I'll find out for sure on August 1st when I weigh myself again. Diet has been going on pretty bang on. The 2L of koolaid has been helping alot keeping my carbs up.

Did some legs today. Instead of doing fullsquats, I came down to 90 degrees this time. Eatting is on track like it should be.

24 more days till I get to weigh myself in

Upper body again today. Week 4 is almost complete. I've been having problems keeping up the number of reps on the second sets. Even when I keep dropping the amount of weight I'm lifting I can't seem to be able to push out a full 37 sometimes. This is most noticable when I'm benching or doing full squats.

Regardless, my diet has been pretty bang on. I also added in another 8 mins of HIIT today, it was a little more intensive than usual cause I boosted up the speeds a bit.

keep it up!!

Dissipate: Thanks.

I did 15 minutes of HIIT today. No weights. Week 4 is now complete. Tommorow will be the start of week 5, which consists of iso holds for the upper body and 20 reps for the lower body. If you want to see the exact schedule you can scroll up to the very first post.

3 more weeks till I can weigh myself again

Did upperbody isoholds today. It went alright, as usual I had to keep the weight low. I'm going to cut off my HIIT to just 2 sessions a week.

That's it for today.

Lowerbody today.

Squats:
    1 x 20 reps @ 115lbs
    2 x 20 reps @ 95lbs

Leg Press:
    1 x 20 reps @ 90lbs
    1 x 20 reps @ 135lbs
    1 x 20 reps @ 180lbs

20 more days before I can weigh in.

I've cut down my HIIT to about half of what it was. I use to do around 45 mins of HIIT every week, now it's roughly going to be about 20 mins (2 x 10min sessions). I did the first 10 min session for this week today.

Haven't noticed anything visible yet...

19 days till I can weigh in.

I think yesterday was the first day that I actually ate my diet exactly as planned.

Workout routines have gone according to plan. Its hard to do 3 sets of 20 reps on stiffed leg deadlifts. I can literally feel a kinda pump going on in my lower back. I added in some abs on my lowerbody days also.

17 dats till I can weigh in.