The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

BAR PADS FOR SQUATS? Anyone uses it

I always use it. Today, i tried without them and couldn't complete my lift maybe because i feel more secured using them. I hear that is not good cause it helps to cheat. BTW, i saw the powerlifters; in the world strongest man show, that the bar should lie 3 in. below the neck. wtf, the bar will slip my shoulder blade if i tried this. Those people have big shoulder blades. I don't know how they're able to without the bar slipping.

I know, just suck it up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There is a natural groove right below your traps, set the bar there. After 3-4x of doing squats with out the pad, you will develop a calous for it almost, and you will not feel it anymore.

use no pad. plus you get a cool bump to show and tell ;D
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    There is a natural groove right below your traps, set the bar there.
    Thats Right

Never used the pad!
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Get some bigger traps and back muscles.

I set the bar right on the rear delts (or very close to it). Feels so much better there and as far as the bar digging into my back, never hurts when it's lower.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Under Construction
    Yep, grow bigger traps, set the bar low and chuck the puss pad!
    Just one guy's opinion.

I used to use it and it felt like the whole bar weight was concentraded on my erector spinae. I don't know if there is a physical reason for this, but it was much, much harder for my spine when I used one than now when I don't.

Banned
    after not using the pad for years.. it actually feels safer WITHOUT the pad.

with the pad.. it feels like the bar is going to roll off my traps... whereas without, it digs into my back nicely.

I wannabebig!
    im with the others lose the pad.

This is a tough question. I rather annoyingly see it from two points of view. I totally agree with what everyone is saying regarding not using pads. It feels like its "part" of your back when you are squatting and it encourages you to keep upper body "tense" to support the weight of the bar on a muscular pad - this is only going to help the lift regarding stability.

However I also know the local effects of having 400 or 500lbs on a one inch strip across your muscles/skeleton. I very often see lifters in clinic with ligament strains and callous "pads" built up over the area of lower neck, upper thorax spine with seriously restricted head movement. The cause is direct loading trauma and could be avoided with a pad to spread the load more efficiently.

People are creatures of habbit and thats fine. Im not saying "use a pad" just saying that there can be consequences for the lower neck and upper thoracic spine for bearing such a direct load on such a small area of contact.

Augs

Thanks

thanks bro's. I will grow bigger traps and set the bar on the traps or rear delts and next workout will drop the pussy pad. What other exercises for traps except shrugs?

deads
    if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

Under Construction
    Kelso shrugs.
    Just one guy's opinion.

i use the pad ...and my traps ARE big, so they say.
    Last edited by BHerks; 06-29-2004 at 12:27 PM.

I use a towel

Its probably safer, how can all that weight on a focused area be good for anything

And so what if you have to rely on a pad?? There are not many situations where you would HAVE to do a squat RIGHT NOW IMMEDIATELY.. And if you were in the jungle you could just use leaves, or some furry animal

i use a pad because im a wussy. i also use it because girls dont like calouses on my shoulders. they want it to be smooth.

hammin'
    I use the molded plastic device that our gym has. It clips onto the bar and goes partially over your traps near your neck. It still gives me the hickies though... so does that mean it's ok?
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

I use a maxi pad.

Actually not using the pad hurt a bit at first but it was motivation to beef up my back, which I did over time. The bar stopped hurting about the 3rd time though.
    ...whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,...