The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Just a quick question

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=49406
    There is my routine. I'm going for a gain size in my muscles, so do i increase the weight or add in more reps? thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Either one
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Looks to me like way too many sets anyway. If you are doing 5 sets per exercise, you are probably holding back. Hence, not lifting as heavy as you could or should do. Lifting heavy is the way to go for strength and mass gains.

eg. Light weights - First set is really easy, second set is a little harder, by the 4th and 5th set, your muscles are busted full of lactic acid, and depleted of energy, so it seems hard. But that doesnt mean it's stimulating growth as good as you could, you're just burning calories and getting tired.

Personally now, I dont hold back any more. I go the max weight I can do 10 reps with, after which (first set) I'm finding it tough. Then I take 3 mins rest, and try again. After 2 sets, I'm pretty much beat. Sometimes I try some more, and feel "done" coz I just cant do more than 1 or 2 reps.

IRN-BRU

Wannabebig Member
    agreed with IBN, i think you should lower sets to the 2-3 rep range so that you can train with better intensity during your workouts, i dont know how you could sustain optimum intensity after so many sets

mmm... discipline
    For size always aim for around 6-12 reps. Add weight, don't add reps. Research research research! lol, good luck.

God damn!

So many shoulder stuff

1) 5x8 Barbell Behind Neck Press
    2) 5x8 Barbell SHoulder Press
    3) 5x8 Barbell Upright Row
    4) 5x8 Barbell Rear Delt Row

4) 5x8 Incline SHoulder Raise
    7) 5x6 Shrugs
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

Here's a quote I ripped off of another board, hopefully he won't mind, but it's in regard to gaining muscular weight:

"Trying to be brief, this will be difficult. I am on the board because of my friendship with Laree and Dave. I contribute occasionally if I believe it will help someone because this is what my wife and I do. In addition to the pro and Olympic athletes we train and treat as patients, I am the Director Of The Board of the Lakeview Youth Federation and we do a lot of work on the street with gang kids. We even train some of them. I have been dispensing information in PLUSA, Iron Man, MD, Muscle And Fitness, MILO, and all the other mags since 1969, only because I want to help when and where I can (believe me, you don't write for these rags for the money). My perception of this board is that it is one primarily though not exclusively, for bodybuilders. The "problem" with bodybuilders, relative to what we do and have done with our trainees (including award winning bodybuilders)is that bodybuilders view training from the perspective of training bodyparts. We train the body. No one to this point in time knows the mechanism that stimulates increases in muscular size and strength. Plenty of theories, no definitive facts although we know some of the things that must occur. No one really knows the process. "X increases in size, Y increases in thickness, the capillary bed is enhanced..." But no one knows the how or true why of it. We believe that you stimulate the biochemical system of the body which then responds with increases in strength and size. Thus, we don't think in terms of "upper body/lower body", or "chest, back, and bis", etc. We train the body in the most efficient way possible, using multi joint movements that call upon the use of as much muscle tissue as possible per repetition movement. We also do single joint, or isolation movements where warranted or needed but to gain muscle tissue mass and strength, we train "the body". If you think about what a bodybuilder is, it is a man or woman who has developed the major muscles of the body to a very advanced degree. The definition or ability to have the muscles be displayed from beneath the skin is really "part two", its a diet/calorie/enegry expenditure matter, much less than a training matter. Growing the muscle is a training matter, one linked to nutritional intake. Simply put, if you want to get truly large, you have to train the large muscles and allow for sufficient recovery for repair and additional growth. Thus, the emphasis on "big movements" like squats, shrugs, etc. If you tell most bodybuilders who "want to get bigger" to focus on their traps, the reaction is negative, everything from "it detracts from my shoulder width" to "what about lats?". Why the traps? The trapezius is a three headed (or three origined) muscle that has tremendous size potential and if you want to get "really big and strong", you work it. Rocky Boiman went from 233 to 248.5 over a six week period, two weeks here, four at mini camps, two more here. He was leaner and harder (if bodyfat percentage remains constant and you put muscle on, you are bigger, but "more cut" and harder). He ate, he stimulated growth, he ran, he rested enough to come back again and train hard enough to stimulate growth, etc. That's why training frequency is limited and volume is enough to stimulate gains, not prevent them. At the Iron Island Gym, we could see the failure to reach goals coming down the pike for many. They were "afraid of getting fat", wanting to weigh 200, but stuck at 162 because they would not eat enough to grow, nor train hard enough on the multi joint movements to stimulate that cellular growth. They put effort into lateral raises, triceps pressdowns, flyes on three different benches, Smith machine half squats that degenerated to quarter and eigth squats as significant weight went onto the bar but when it came time to press, row, squat, deadlift or stifflegged DL, shrug heavily, etc, the effort was lacking or reasons were found to avoid those movements. Whew, I have to go to work. I hope this clears some of the confusion up for those who wrote to my email address (how do they get that?) and the private messages that I don't know how to get to (thank my daughter for finding them for me).
    Dr. Ken"