The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squats, low rep vs. high rep

I was just wondering why some choose one over the other. I personally do 8-10 reps but I have heard people here talking about doing 20 reps . Why would I want to do that many? What would be the benefit/difference besides horrible agony and pain?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It is good to switch up your reps/ sets to promote muscle growth. Your body needs a change, to shock it into growth.

I switch up every 2-3 months with different routines (reps/ sets).
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Low reps (3-5) are good for strength, medium (6-10) are good for size, and high (20) are a gift from the Lord to make you humble. And I'm not religious.

high rep squats concentrate a lot on correct breathing and by doing so supposedly release growth hormone
    The 3 H's

Huge Eating
    Hard Training
    Heavy Sleeping

high rep squats concentrate a lot on correct breathing and by doing so supposedly release growth hormone
    HUH?...explain.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

mmm... discipline
    The 20 rep squats can be for size. You chose a weight that would normally have you fail at around 10 reps, then you do 20 slow and intense reps instead. They're more like two sets of ten with no rest, at least that's my experience.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    any type of intense squatting wil add some mass to your legs...

rather it be an intense set of 3-5 super heavy reps. a gruleing 6-12 rep set or a god humbling 20 rep set, as long as they are intense they will make your legs grow.

but its all a matter of preferance, but variety is the spice of life and use all rep ranges for the greatest affect
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

20 rep squats are intended primarily to sell books and magazines.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    20 rep squats are intended primarily to sell books and magazines.
    try'em
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Low reps (3-5) are good for strength, medium (6-10) are good for size, and high (20) are a gift from the Lord to make you humble. And I'm not religious.
    That's BS. Any of those are "for size" as long as you're adding weight to the bar once in a while and eating enough.
    Last edited by Vido; 06-30-2004 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    try'em

Been there done that. Ages ago. Your point?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    That's BS. Any of those are "for size" as long as you're adding weight to the bar once in a while and eating enough.
    There's actually a bit more merit to that than you might think. Studies have shown that the higher the rep range the less likely it is to produce hypertrophy. Granted if you are eating enough, you'll grow, but the lower rep ranges often produce maximal results.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    There's actually a bit more merit to that than you might think. Studies have shown that the higher the rep range the less likely it is to produce hypertrophy. Granted if you are eating enough, you'll grow, but the lower rep ranges often produce maximal results.
    Fair enough. The part of the statement I liked least was the 3-5 reps is for strength thing. You load up the bar with heavy weight (while still being able to use good form), do sets of 3, and tell me you can't grow.

I think he meant that lower reps produce more of a gain in the maximal strength department.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

bone crusher
    very low rep sets will work within the creatine phosphate threshold which will stimulate neuromuscular recruitment wheras higher rep ranges will produce lactic acid (from anaerobic glycolysis) which elicits a differing physiological response (in terms of muscle growth)

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    I think he meant that lower reps produce more of a gain in the maximal strength department.
    Indeed, and in particular, I meant that's how most people train.

Size = eating food.

As long as you're adding weight, it is good. Guy named Kevin Tolbert supposedly did 600x30 full squats. Never did much with low reps, as he trained primarily with 15, 20, and 30 reps. Huge guy.

Use whichever method you enjoy best. Getting bogged down in the 'science' of low vs. high reps is a waste of time IMHO.

Neollagnailati
    So how many should I do for some good toning work? With the pink weights?b

First, regardless of the reps, If you progressively add weight to the bar, you'll get bigger and stronger assuming you eat enough.

That said, there was/is a school of thought that claims high rep squats are THE key to getting big. They are primarily inspired by bodybuilders and lifters from quite some time ago, many of whom used high rep (~15) sets for squatting. Obviously, someone who can do 2 sets of 15 reps with 405 pounds on their back will be pretty big and strong, eh?

The person credited with the 20 rep squat hype (although he didn't invent it) is John McCallum. However, most people misinterpret what he wrote.

You need a basic understanding of what McCallum did in KTP, which you really only get by reading the series. You have to understand that the articles were all published monthly, and were intended to be followed sequentially - in 5 years he took you from having a build worse than his dead grandmother to 'the finished product'.

He starts out with a basic full body program where you squat 2x15, and you add weight every time. You don't get another program for several months (4), you just keep at it. The second program you get is the 20 rep squat program, where all you do is:

Press behind neck 3x12
    Squat 2x20
    pullover 2x25

You repeated this workout as you could.

You worked HARD. The article where the routine is described goes into how improtant it is to work up into heavy weights, and high rep squats teach you how to work hard, how to strain, and if you did what McCallum told you to do, you would be working up to the 300-400 pound range

After this routine (for 3 months), you get to training for size and strength, where you end up using 5x5 squats.

Now, think about this, honestly. If you started out as a newbie, and did a full body workout routine where you forced yourself to ad 5 pounds to your 15 rep squats every workout (3x a week) for 4 months, then you forced 5 pounds a workout on 20 rep breathing squats (2-3 times a week) for 3 months, how do you think you'd have fared? I wish I had started out that way.

The next time 20 rep squats really get a mention is in one of my favorite articles, and that's 'Hard Work'. This is the article where he has you do 20 reps with what you normally use for ten (NOT your 10 rep max, as is oft claimed, but what you USE for 10 reps). His point was that most people could train much harder than they did. This article is the 26th in the series, so what he was doing was reminding someone who had been training for 2 years how hard they had to work to keep gaining (the next article had the trainee get back to basics.)

Now, he never claims that 15 or 20 reps are magic, just that high rep squats were effective when used properly, and that they were hard. McCallum knew what folks like Louie Simmons tell us now - if it's hard, it's probably good.

Thing is, you'll grow if you do 20 rep squats, you'll grow if you do 5 rep squats, as long as you work hard at them... and it was more effective to teach a new lifter what hard work felt like, easier to get them to work to their limit, using high rep squats.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

mmm... discipline
    So sayeth the mighty and wise Paul.

Well put.