The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Any older guys (30+) here?

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, seems like a great resource. But I've noticed that most posts are from younger guys. I'm wondering if there are any "old" dudes here who could offer up some advice.

I've been working out for about a year now and think that I have a decent base of strength established but I'd like to take it up a notch and really start working on packing on some meat. I'm 35 and have read that it gets more and more difficult to gain mass (muscle mass that is) with age so any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(And sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well whether your 25 or 35 you'll still want to train the same except you 'may' need an extra day to recover, which of course is dependent on your training and a host of other factors. I'm 34 and my goals have always been more strength oriented and have had less of a focus on size. If your looking for size it is going to be about diet. You'll need to eat and expect to put on some bodyfat. The amount of fat will depend on you because everyone is different.

Chris Mason wrote a good atricle http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php that should be of some help.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

This forum will do.

I'm 34. Been lifting for 10 years, give or take.

It does get a little tougher to gain muscle (and a lot easier to gain fat) as we get older... just keep at it, stay healthy, and make sure you listen to your body.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

There are actually quite a few of us older guys around. Welcome

Wow I'm not old, but Chris Mason and a few of these other guys are. Some young lad referred to myself and another guy as being old the other day, hum my dad is over 60 and still lifting. I think he made his greatest gains from 50's to 60 so it can be done.

I'm 31 and I am just starting out. Although, I don't look or feel 31 so I just keep telling myself I am in my 20's lol. I usually only need a day to recover but i need to lose more weight and get toned and in shape so my results can actually be seen. Naturally I want all this to be done yesterday.

31 Here.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Im 32, and i feel younger and fitter today than i ever did in my 20s (due to being a lazy ******* in my 20s). I work out like a "young" person. Im currently on a 4 day in the gym routine and whilst recovery is tough sometimes im eating well and its happening just fine. Prolly the thing to watch out for most is joints...they seem to be a bit less tollerant to silly ass stuff than 5 years ago.

Welcome tho. This forum is the best find ive ever made on the internet. Well except for that site about girls who love slow kiss one another and then bend right over and [edited - your still too young]

Augs

:withstupi

I just turned 30 earlier this year.
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

Wannabebig Member
    Welcome Mr Joshua. I'm 45 years old and have lifted most of my life in addition to competitive road racing (pedal bikes). After six years of racing and 42,000 training\racing miles later, I decided to take a year off and lift more seriously. I've gone from 168lbs to 177lbs in about two months with very little body fat added. My racing buddies give me a hard time about the upper body mass I've added. I don't believe in the "bulk up" theory. Thats ok for the younger guys, but any bodyfat you add during that process is to hard to take off for older guys. My understanding is past age 35 or so, you naturaally lose about 1% muscle mass per year. If you weight train and do some cardio, you can slow that down a little. Weight training is proven time and time again to be one of the best things you can do to slow down the aging process. I do a full body weight workout 3x a week, and cycle about 70 miles a week for cardio. When building miles in the off season while racing, I was doing about 200 miles week, so I've cut back a lot.

Good Luck.

Btw, we are not old. I remember when I was younger, 30 seemed old but now I feel like it is still pretty young. I see some people who are 30 that do make being 30 seem old though. I just wish when I was younger that I didn't stop working out just as I was getting into it.

No sheeeiit, I freaked out when I turned 30. I'm in much better shape, now, than I was 8 years ago. Hell, I can deadlift twice what I could then. I agree, principles are the same, you just need more recovery time. Good luck Mr Josh.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>

Under Construction
    36 here and bigger and stronger than I was in my 20's. Takes a bit longer to recover and it is harder to stay lean at our age.
    Just one guy's opinion.

33. Takes a bit more effort but you can still make gains.

Welcome aboard.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Bah, looks like I've got you all beat with only vandessel close behind me. I'm 47 and started weight lifting a little over 3 years ago. I'd say it's been tough to gain muscle because I usually add a lot of fat and then lose what seems to be hard earned gains on the cut.

I used to have a super fast metabolism when I was younger and suspect if I had eaten and trained then I would have added the muscle on much easier. My metabolism sucks now.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Wannabebig Member
    Good MorningMr Joshua I'm 53 years old been lifting for 32 years up till this year
    had no problem with putting size on.But I did have to go to 4 week cycle of CAPS
    to keep my hardnest. So it is true you will stop after a certain age mine was not until
    this year.
    Thought of the day
    Eat Big Lift Big Be Big

Um, "CAPS"??

OLDER!!!!!!!! 30+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have you know I'm in my prime....... older, my arse
    I am big, I am clever and I do impress my mates!!!